PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I was super torn on which to get at launch, but the fact that I already have Gamepass for a year or so and have played %80 of my games on Xbox this past gen I decided to go with the SX. Managed to scoop one up a couple weeks ago and it is fantastic. The speeds have blown me away.

My only gripe is the controller. I wish they added a little more to it.. *cough* rechargeable batteries *cough*

Any UI complaints are bogus, yes it’s the same dashboard as the One BUT, the Dashboard now compared to the launch dashboard is night and day difference. Microsoft took a different approach, they gradually built up and are now seemingly taking more of a PC approach to their systems vs a cut and dry generation approach. Which I’m cool with.

I will say though, I am for sure getting a PS5 at some point, those exclusives and the PSVR will make sure of that.

Honest question, is it a big deal for you to get a rechargeable battery kit for the Xbox controller? They’re like $15-20 when you just spent close to $700 on a console.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Honest question, is it a big deal for you to get a rechargeable battery kit for the Xbox controller? They’re like $15-20 when you just spent close to $700 on a console.
You kind of answered your own question. For $700, why wouldn't it be included?

Btw on a sidenote, I've realized that the 110 GB the Xbox and PS use up is likely not the actual OS, but the OS+overprovisioning. SSDs need a certain portion of their drive empty for both speed as well as extending the life of the drive.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I was super torn on which to get at launch, but the fact that I already have Gamepass for a year or so and have played %80 of my games on Xbox this past gen I decided to go with the SX. Managed to scoop one up a couple weeks ago and it is fantastic. The speeds have blown me away.

My only gripe is the controller. I wish they added a little more to it.. *cough* rechargeable batteries *cough*

Any UI complaints are bogus, yes it’s the same dashboard as the One BUT, the Dashboard now compared to the launch dashboard is night and day difference. Microsoft took a different approach, they gradually built up and are now seemingly taking more of a PC approach to their systems vs a cut and dry generation approach. Which I’m cool with.

I will say though, I am for sure getting a PS5 at some point, those exclusives and the PSVR will make sure of that.

Xbox One rechargeable batteries work on it. You just need a USB-C cable for recharging.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Xbox One rechargeable batteries work on it. You just need a USB-C cable for recharging.
It’s not a big deal no, hence why I had no issues spending $600 on the new system, and the fact that I can use any of my One controllers on it is a huge boon, that being said, it’s just a convenience that PS has had forever, and in this day and age, replacing AA batteries or using aftermarket accessories to charge something isn’t up to snuff for top of the line tech, imo.

AND, before anyone tells me the PS controllers battery life is bad, that’s a nonissue considering I’ve had to replace 1 Xbox controller every single year since I got it because the left stick shits the bed from givin er in chel :laugh: :facepalm:

Reactions: tacogeoff

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I got a newer model DS4 a few months ago and the battery life was miles ahead of my older controllers. Same seems to be true for the DualSense so far; though I'm sure it'll get worse over time.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I got a newer model DS4 a few months ago and the battery life was miles ahead of my older controllers. Same seems to be true for the DualSense so far; though I'm sure it'll get worse over time.
I was about to say this. The DS4s that came with the console had like 2-3 hour battery life. The ones that are sold now have about twice that. Dual sense has probably 6-7 hours of battery.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I was able to pick up a Series X finally,

Going from a 1X it is still much faster, menus, loading and when you press the power, basically it's instantly on. I"m surprised how fast I load into games.

Warzone looks better
Fortnite looks amazing
Black Ops is marginally better and very glitchy on next-gen
2k21 is great but it's an entirely new and separate game from the previous gens
Rocket League, same.

One issue is my current display maxes out at 60 FPS. I need to check out some of the exclusives as the most work typically goes into them. Gears and Forza looked the best when I 1st went to the 1X with 4k/HDR

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Still no update for my purchase of the Series X I bought on Sept. 9th. Still showing pending and an expected ship date of Dec 24th. Bought directly form Microsoft.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Still no update for my purchase of the Series X I bought on Sept. 9th. Still showing pending and an expected ship date of Dec 24th. Bought directly form Microsoft.
I’m assuming you don’t mean 9/9 since that’s before the pre-orders even went live, but I’ve heard that batch has been random with deliveries because I have a friend whose still waiting on his too. When he ordered it said that same 12/24 date, but I’ve also heard of others who got their consoles.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I’m assuming you don’t mean 9/9 since that’s before the pre-orders even went live, but I’ve heard that batch has been random with deliveries because I have a friend whose still waiting on his too. When he ordered it said that same 12/24 date, but I’ve also heard of others who got their consoles.
My bad, Nov 9th. Ya I was hearing the same thing. I've heard ppl getting theirs on order of Nov. 10th so I'm not sure what the order of our orders are getting fulfilled.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I broke down and purchased it for a $100 premium on Offer UP, they were not so much a scalper as someone that ended up with two during the preorder. I figured it was worth my time to discontinue looking for it.

They really need to work on a system to stop the bots and I feel some preorders should have been offered to Xbox Live members, 1 console only. I think they may start a wait list soon but it's really been a shitty launch for both considering how many are on the resale market.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It’s not a big deal no, hence why I had no issues spending $600 on the new system, and the fact that I can use any of my One controllers on it is a huge boon, that being said, it’s just a convenience that PS has had forever, and in this day and age, replacing AA batteries or using aftermarket accessories to charge something isn’t up to snuff for top of the line tech, imo.

AND, before anyone tells me the PS controllers battery life is bad, that’s a nonissue considering I’ve had to replace 1 Xbox controller every single year since I got it because the left stick shits the bed from givin er in chel :laugh: :facepalm:

*shrugs*

It's basically what accounts for the $15 difference between the PS5 controller ($89.99 CAD) and Xbox Series X/S controller ($74.99 CAD).

I have the Elite Controller, which has a rechargable battery, but my second controller is just the standard X/S controller and I'm happy to just swap in double As when the time calls for it.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
*shrugs*

It's basically what accounts for the $15 difference between the PS5 controller ($89.99 CAD) and Xbox Series X/S controller ($74.99 CAD).

I have the Elite Controller, which has a rechargable battery, but my second controller is just the standard X/S controller and I'm happy to just swap in double As when the time calls for it.

god that was the worst thing I remember about my xbox 360. it was all good after I spent the extra money on rechargeable packs but I found the battery life on them to not be that great either.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
god that was the worst thing I remember about my xbox 360. it was all good after I spent the extra money on rechargeable packs but I found the battery life on them to not be that great either.

Honestly, I never had much of a problem with them battery-life wise. One Costco pack of AAs lasted me the better part of a year for all my controllers and various electronics remotes.

Maybe I just don't play as much as I think I do?

Oh, but I do tend to turn off rumble in PVP games, after a friend of mine that played Halo 2 competitively told me it made a world of difference for him. I'm not sure why, but it helped my accuracy and K/D as well, and I've done it ever since.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Honestly, I never had much of a problem with them battery-life wise. One Costco pack of AAs lasted me the better part of a year for all my controllers and various electronics remotes.

Maybe I just don't play as much as I think I do?

Oh, but I do tend to turn off rumble in PVP games, after a friend of mine that played Halo 2 competitively told me it made a world of difference for him. I'm not sure why, but it helped my accuracy and K/D as well, and I've done it ever since.

that's pretty impressive! ya I tended to game quite a bit back then and my son as well.

turning off the rumble is the best thing I have ever done for FPS games.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
*shrugs*

Like I said, it’s not a big deal, not a game breaker, it’s just dated.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Had to do a little blog assignment for a class i'm in and came across this article...

PS5, Xbox Series X and the climate crisis facing next-gen video games

Apparently these new consoles are incredibly energy-consuming and the energy-saving modes get in the way of some key features like downloading updates/games in the background and the super-fast game startups and resuming play from multiple games.

Per user, per household, the carbon emissions generated while playing video games is small -- but not insignificant. An hour of play in Spider-Man Miles Morales is equivalent to charging your smartphone 18 times. At scale, we can see how quickly things might get out of control.

Although use is considered the main source of emissions over a console's lifecycle, many other factors contribute to gaming's enlarging carbon footprint. We haven't factored in supply chains, the mining of rare Earth minerals, the manufacturing process and end-of-life treatments such as recycling and e-waste production. We've not discussed the data centers, cloud streaming platforms or future technologies, like augmented reality, which may further increase energy spend.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Remember when we were wondering who would pay these prices?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad