PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Whatever can give me true backwards compatibility.

I get that these companies want to sell newer systems. I'm not opposed to that. I just find it odd that there is always a 'sort of' backlash when it comes to it. Harp me all you want, I played the PS2 consistently until 2015 when I bought the PS4. I feel like while I missed out on the PS3-era, I don't know if I can justify buying another system for only a few games (NHL13-15, Fifa Street, etc). Having B.C could help out in so many ways

Reactions: crazychimp

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Being able to play my decently sized download list of PS2 and PS3 games that I can't on my PS4 might nudge me toward a PS5 first, but not till next year at the earliest.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Some leaks that Series X will be $599 and PS5 will be $499 (discless version likely being $450), that's a pretty big difference.

Microsoft would be insane to launch for $100 more than Sony.

My guess is, their internal number right now is just a placeholder or 'guess' at what Sony is going to announce, and whatever Sony goes with, they'll match it.

It not, well, that makes the choice of which console to buy at launch easier.

Just curious, what's so scummy about Sony compared to the others? They've been buying up exclusive content in games lately, that's about all that I can think of that they're doing differently right now. Last gen Microsoft had some extremely anti-consumer policies early on that they were forced to abandon.

True, though now they've corrected to the point that their offerings are the most consumer-friendly in terms of access and value.

Their 'we don't care where you play our games, we just want you to play them' approach is very progressive and refreshing. By comparison, Sony is usually the company standing in the way of full cross-platform multiplayer, and only bends to the most influential parties (Activision for COD, Epic for Fortnite).

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver

I get that these companies want to sell newer systems. I'm not opposed to that. I just find it odd that there is always a 'sort of' backlash when it comes to it. Harp me all you want, I played the PS2 consistently until 2015 when I bought the PS4. I feel like while I missed out on the PS3-era, I don't know if I can justify buying another system for only a few games (NHL13-15, Fifa Street, etc). Having B.C could help out in so many ways
I don’t understand why the Series X can be backwards compatible with all generations of Xbox consoles but PS5 can’t. As far as I know the technology isn’t that much different in the first 2 generations of the OG Xbox and the 360 vs the first 3 of generations of the PlayStation. PS4 and Xbox One is where the technology started to change. Maybe Sony can take some tips from Microsoft on how they managed to accomplish that.

I would love to play some classic wrestling games again I was a big fan of Here Comes the Pain, as well as the GTA series. I’d buy them digitally again if they were priced at like 10-15 bucks. WWE 13 for the PS3 was a good one too.

Edit: It seems like PS5 will have backward compatibility for a lot of games, it’ll take them a lot of time to release them however, but Microsoft was ahead of this and I believe the way they’re doing it is much better. I don’t want to have to pay a monthly subscription just to play old games or something like that, hopefully PS5 can do it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Between Microsoft saying their games will continue to run on the XB1 for the foreseeable future and the fact that they're putting out two next-gen boxes, I wouldn't be surprised if they're perfectly willing to sell the more expensive one at whatever price they want. Spencer has also explicitly said he doesn't view Sony as a competitor anymore so I don't think they're too concerned with the PS5's price point anyways.

All MS wants is people in their ecosystem, giving them Game Pass money every month. As long as the Series X is cheaper than a gaming PC that probably checks a box for them. Lockhart will be the budget option to cover their bases.

All that being said... not feeling especially interested in either of them at launch. I think Sony has the better catalogue and it would be interesting if the PS5 can provide any sort of load time/frame rate benefits for PS4 games, but that's probably still not compelling enough at (I'd guess) a $600+ Canadian investment.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Both eventually, PS5 likely first, I spilled Diet Coke on my laptop last week so instead of replacing it with a cheapo laptop I ended up getting a Dell gaming laptop so I guess I'll dip my toe into that water as well, might as well take advantage of the PC stuff on Game Pass

Reactions: Beau Knows
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I don’t understand why the Series X can be backwards compatible with all generations of Xbox consoles but PS5 can’t. As far as I know the technology isn’t that much different in the first 2 generations of the OG Xbox and the 360 vs the first 3 of generations of the PlayStation. PS4 and Xbox One is where the technology started to change. Maybe Sony can take some tips from Microsoft on how they managed to accomplish that.

I would love to play some classic wrestling games again I was a big fan of Here Comes the Pain, as well as the GTA series. I’d buy them digitally again if they were priced at like 10-15 bucks. WWE 13 for the PS3 was a good one too.

Edit: It seems like PS5 will have backward compatibility for a lot of games, it’ll take them a lot of time to release them however, but Microsoft was ahead of this and I believe the way they’re doing it is much better. I don’t want to have to pay a monthly subscription just to play old games or something like that, hopefully PS5 can do it right.

So your saying the Series X will be backwards compatible?

if Sony can’t do anything about it, I’ll probably just stick to what I have. Bummer

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

My guess is, their internal number right now is just a placeholder or 'guess' at what Sony is going to announce, and whatever Sony goes with, they'll match it.

True, though now they've corrected to the point that their offerings are the most consumer-friendly in terms of access and value.

Their 'we don't care where you play our games, we just want you to play them' approach is very progressive and refreshing. By comparison, Sony is usually the company standing in the way of full cross-platform multiplayer, and only bends to the most influential parties (Activision for COD, Epic for Fortnite).

Yeah, there's been rumors Microsoft intends to go lower than Sony. Stores and retailers have just placeholder prices now so no reason put any weight in those numbers.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I don't understand what you mean by "backlash, but backwards compatibility is a complicated hardware issue who's feasibility will will vary from generation to generation. Devs should have the games fine tuned to run on a specific set of hardware, and because of that you can't always take a game from one generation and plop it into the next. Backwards compatability is something that improves over time though as the more advanced and complicated games get the more they rely on engines & user friendly dev kits, and less on fine tuning to a specific set of hardware.

Also relevant here is that in the case of the PS3 it had some really wonky architecture going on under the hood. That wasn't an iteration of the Playstation that you're going to get backwards compatibility on, and since there's only been 4 Playstation consoles so far it makes it look worse on Sony than it maybe should be. You'll have to see if they follow suit on MS making it a point to embrace it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It's worth noting that while it's buggy, RPCS3 is running a number of PS3 games extremely well, persona 5 and Demon Souls (even has a 60 fps hack) to name two, and it runs on hardware that is worse than what the ps5 will have. PS3 emulation is pretty realistic now, the problem is the cost of creating an in-house emulator may not be worth it to Sony when they already have psnow for PS3 games.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

2020 Timeline: Sony and Microsoft both release consoles with TBD price points as they stare each other off in a lengthened Mexican price standoff.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
They are giving me zero reasons to upgrade at this point. I thought the 1X was a decent leap with 4k/60FPS but that was on limited titles for a while. Right now it makes sense while the next version seems to early based on the games at launch.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
upload_2020-9-8_6-49-47.jpeg

In all seriousness I can see this console selling very well with parents buying their kids this version or casual gamers on a budget since this console is still plenty powerful.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The lowest price point will help them with casual gamers and parents. I also think its a way to get PS5 player into their ecosystem. I’m pretty happy both companies are offering digital only options.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Seems pretty clear that Series X is for 4K players, series S is for people still playing on 1080p TVs. Smart play.
Im pretty sure the Series S will be targeting 1440p with TAA. Similar to PS4 pro just with a modern cpu and GPU architecture.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Microsoft confirmed $299 USD for the Series S, which is a pretty great value for a machine that can do 1440p. I don't think they've confirmed the Series X price yet.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Im pretty sure the Series S will be targeting 1440p with TAA. Similar to PS4 pro just with a modern cpu and GPU architecture.

Well it will have enough power to run all the effects and geometry... all the GPU and CPU calculations, it would just do them all with lower resolution assets.

So the games will look better than a PS4 Pro simply because the games are more advanced.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm currently looking at new tv's/monitors in prep for next gen and have some questions. Looks like hdmi 2.1 will be the next big thing with these consoles, and of course there are no current monitors that support it. However, I keep hearing that a 4k display on small monitors (27" and below) will not make much of a difference as compared to say a 55" tv. As far as I can tell, hdmi 2.1 is utilized for higher refresh rates on the 4k displays? I'm trying to decide on keeping 4k 60 hz for tv and 1080p 144hz for monitor or upgrading both to hdmi 2.1 and be able to hit 4k 120hz. What do you guys think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad