PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The series X will be releasing without pretty much any exclusive content worth mentioning + it will take years before many of the games they showed off at their events get an actual release. What is the point of a gaming system without any solid exclusives?

We definitely come a long way from the excellence of the original Xbox and 360.
Xbox's saving grace is their gamepass model and the fact that the new console makes almost every current gen game look and run better. It definitely isn't a "must have" in the traditional sense, but it improves the Xbox gaming experience by quite a lot right out of the box.

Honestly, it doesn't seem much worse than any other console launch. I can only think of a handful of games that were really, really good launch games, the last being probably BOTW.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The jump from a hard drive to SSD is obviously significant but the difference in load times between these two consoles is nothing I would care about.

The series X will be releasing without pretty much any exclusive content worth mentioning + it will take years before many of the games they showed off at their events get an actual release. What is the point of a gaming system without any solid exclusives?

We definitely come a long way from the excellence of the original Xbox and 360.
Well for one, not everyone cares about the exclusives dick measuring contest. And if you want to get technical about it the Series X will never have any exclusives because every game will release on PC, but I think the huge jump in performance and Game Pass will be enough to convince people to get a Series X.

Not to mention that the PS5 is also releasing with next to zero exclusive content. Demon's Souls is the only actual exclusive game for the console right now and that is a remake of a game you can already play.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
No game was worse on loading times than RDR 2.

But it's still a far cry from C-64 era of 5-20 minute loading times, with high potential of the game crashing and having to reload the game.
I see you never played Kingdom Come: Deliverance on console.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

BC games but installed to the SSD they have worse load times on ps5. May have to do with higher cpu clocks on xbox? I know PS5 has a variable clock speed, maybe it defaults to the lower clocks for BC games? Just a guess.

If so I'm sure on native titles the cpu will boost up to improve that. Hell the Nintendo switch does that for lots of games.

I think we'll have to see more from current-gen games, but I was always skeptical of the PS5's SSD claims. As someone who used to work in that industry, companies do a lot of tricks to make their marketing numbers look good, but are never reflective of real-world performance.

What these reviewers should be doing is filling up and deleting games from the SSD several times, then running these tests.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

But it's still a far cry from C-64 era of 5-20 minute loading times, with high potential of the game crashing and having to reload the game.

LOL which games took 20 minutes? I don't even remember 5 minutes but I was a kid who had no concept of time playing C-64. :laugh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
LOL which games took 20 minutes? I don't even remember 5 minutes but I was a kid who had no concept of time playing C-64. :laugh:

I made the huge mistake of buying Afterburner after playing the arcade game and not reading reviews from games magazines. It was a mess. Fancy packaging etc but man was it shite.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Jealous of you xBox guys getting your console today. Looks really cool. I can’t wait for Thursday and my PS5.

Reactions: CPTN71

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Jeez, now Disney+ is going to be included with game pass?

The value of that service is just insane.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Awesome first four hours with my Series X last night. Runs great. Xbox Live was a mess yesterday though with everyone setting up their consoles.

Also, people posting fake videos online where they use vapor to make it look like the Xbox is smoking. Perfectly normal behavior.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Downloading Forza Horizon 4 took forever. Probably my garbage internet. Things load much faster and look better. Hope to play more tonight.

member 157595

That's a blast from the past. Anything from the 80's that loaded games on cassette tape took freaking forever.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
On topic, got my Series X today. And just finished transferring a few games to the internal SSD from the external. The whole set up was much quicker than on the One X.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

Series X and PS5 running ray tracing settings below the minimum allowed in the options menu of the PC version with dynamic resolution and offering performance worse than that of the RTX 2060 Super. Pretty underwhelming for these super hyped 'next-gen' machines IMO. But of course you can only expect so much from a $500 console.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Only problem I've had with my series x is it doesn't seem to like certain steaming apps.

I watched the football game on TSN last night and (I think) I left it running after the game was over. Booting up NHL 21 led me to have a weird thing where my screen with flicker with a white flash and then lost the HDMI signal for a couple seconds.

Rebooting it fixes the issue entirely. This morning I screwed around a bit to find out that it was the TSN app itself causing the issue since it started doing it again after I left the app on for a couple minutes.

Closing the app fixed the issue as I ran NHL for a few minutes with the CPUs playing to see if it would happen again. Testing with YouTube and twitch also didn't have problems so I assume there's some type of big when you try to switch between HDR and regular 1080p automatically. Netflix also apparently can cause this but I didn't get a chance to test it.

Definitely doesn't seem like a hardware issue since I can get it to trigger and I narrowed down what said trigger is, but I'm a bit worried lol.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Update: It seems like leaving the app running in the background causes it to flicker. I test ran Netflix for a bit, it didn't do the flickering during watching, but the moment i went to the store to check on something (with netflix still open in the background) it started doing it. TSN also flickered with the with netflix working

It definitely seems like there's something screwy between the Xbox UI running at 4K and having to switch apps that aren't native 4K and it definitely seems isolated to software since restarting clears the problem entirely until you open the apps again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad