PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The front end is 1080p video output so that may have something to do with the "flicker" effect when changing from apps to games. It may not be a glitch if the output resolution is changing.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Jeez, now Disney+ is going to be included with game pass?

The value of that service is just insane.

Gamepass sealed the next-gen competition for me. All new Xbox games from their studios comes to Gamepass on Day 1 for free...$100 savings per game in Canada. Plus, the fact it's virtually free with stacking of Xbox Live is awesome. I paid $140 for two years of Xbox Live and for $1 converted them into Gamepass Ultimate! It's going to save Xbox users a ton of money longterm.

I think the PS5 controller has some gimmicky features such as the mic, but it does have some pretty cool features, especially in the triggers. And the new Spiderman looks pretty cool.

Reactions: Jussi

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Does CoD have that split install that the companies were talking about after both consoles were first shown off? "You can install just the single player campaign if you wanted"

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Gamepass sealed the next-gen competition for me. All new Xbox games from their studios comes to Gamepass on Day 1 for free...$100 savings per game in Canada. Plus, the fact it's virtually free with stacking of Xbox Live is awesome. I paid $140 for two years of Xbox Live and for $1 converted them into Gamepass Ultimate! It's going to save Xbox users a ton of money longterm.

I think the PS5 controller has some gimmicky features such as the mic, but it does have some pretty cool features, especially in the triggers. And the new Spiderman looks pretty cool.

Can you do the stacking more than once? I converted to GP ultimate a while back and stacked them for like a year and a half or something, it is about to expire this month, so if I let it expire and restart XBL would I be able to convert again for a buck?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Can you do the stacking more than once? I converted to GP ultimate a while back and stacked them for like a year and a half or something, it is about to expire this month, so if I let it expire and restart XBL would I be able to convert again for a buck?

Yup. You might have to pay $15 instead of $1, though. But you can stack them until XBL isn’t sold anymore.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

The mic on the controller is a game changer for me. I'm now able to use my Audio Technica headphones without using a different source for a mic.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I've at the very least gotten the flickering to not happen as much.

Tried TSN last night for the football game and it flickered twice shortly after opening the app and then it stopped and let me watch the game no problem. Closed the app like normal and played both NHL and Valhalla and it didn't do it at all either (previously it would do it in game if you had the apps open and you'd have to reboot the console to make it stop)

Brief test runs of Netflix and YouTube also didn't have it happen. I also notice YouTube automatically closes if you leave the app.

At that point you have to figure it's a software/firmware issue right? I really don't want to have to send it away hence my concern lol.

So basically:

If app open and being watched = flicker

App was open, then closed to play games = no flicker

No steaming apps opened at all = no flicker

App opened, left open in background to play games =?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don’t know why Warzone got a 120 FPS update on Series X and not Ps5, but this last week has taught me playing at 30 FPS forever was doing you a disservice. 60 is the minimum now.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don’t know why Warzone got a 120 FPS update on Series X and not Ps5, but this last week has taught me playing at 30 FPS forever was doing you a disservice. 60 is the minimum now.
which is why I switched to PC for shooters a long time ago. Not sure whats going on with PS5. Some ppl are reporting it works and some are saying it doesn't

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
That might be your new purchase high talking. I don't think CoD has ever been 30 fps, even on PS3 and 360 it was 60 fps.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
That might be your new purchase high talking. I don't think CoD has ever been 30 fps, even on PS3 and 360 it was 60 fps.
Any shooter in general. Been playing Gears and Halo too. The FPS difference is noticeable and my OG Xbox One wasn’t consistent with frames.

which is why I switched to PC for shooters a long time ago. Not sure whats going on with PS5. Some ppl are reporting it works and some are saying it doesn't
Cold War is 120 but for some reason Warzone is only 120 on series X. No real interest in Cold War though.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Did you expect Warzone to run at more than 120 fps?

Unless I'm mistaken, and I'm quite confident that I'm not, the XBox, just like the PS5, doesn't output more than 120 fps.
No? Warzone is still only 60 fps on PS5, whereas Series X is 120. Consider COD is marketing with Sony and Cold War runs at 120 there, that’s why I’m surprised.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I've been gaming on PC for a while, I was leaning towards the PS5 HOWEVER recently I made the switch from my keyboard and mouse to the Xbox Elite Controller 2 (great compatibility with Windows). I am amazed at the build quality of this thing and the paddles are pretty awesome too. For that reason I'll be going back to Xbox for my next gen console. I know the PS5 controller has the haptic feedback but as I have the Xbox controller now I want to maximize my value, I honestly can't wait to play NHL 22 with this controller and my old 360 games. I'll miss the exclusives for PlayStation though if there's a Last of Us III I'll be tempted.

Xbox exclusives will be found on Steam as well, I hope to see Microsofts and Valves relationship evolve to the point we see Steam games on the Xbox and I don't mean streaming them but being able to play them directly on the console, it's been talked about for years but that's just hearsay.

Has anyone else gone back and forth like I have?

I started with the best console ever made IMO the N64 ... then to PS1, PS2 (broke twice) Xbox (because PS2 broke), Xbox 360, PS4 and now the Series X lol.

Also for anyone who's getting the PS5 and does game on PC as well you'll be happy to know that steam is currently working on supporting the new controller.

Steam Client Beta Update Includes Support For The Newest PlayStation Controllers | Happy Gamer

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
No? Warzone is still only 60 fps on PS5, whereas Series X is 120. Consider COD is marketing with Sony and Cold War runs at 120 there, that’s why I’m surprised.
It makes no difference to me, since my tv is not 120 Hz (and I don't want to use my monitor since it's 1080p) but it's looking like PS5 will not be getting any patches and only supports PS4 pro mode. So same exact framerate and resolution as PS4 pro for all cross-gen games.

Some Current-Gen Games Are Getting 120 FPS Support On Xbox Series X But Not PS5

Also worth noting, the PS5 has an inferior HDMI 2.1 chip and outputs ycbcr422 instead of RGB at 4k 120 Hz. This means nothing for most people outside of maybe small text looking worse, but worth mentioning.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I think I would be all over the XBOX if i had the choice but I cant wrap my head around them still not having a build in battery in the controller and instead forcing you to buy a rechargeable one as an accessory. just seems like an unneeded gouge.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Just an FYI - Installing and patching on PS5 is still as slow as PS4.

Linky

Why Does The PS5 Still Have The Dreaded ‘Copying’ Phase?

I think I would be all over the XBOX if i had the choice but I cant wrap my head around them still not having a build in battery in the controller and instead forcing you to buy a rechargeable one as an accessory. just seems like an unneeded gouge.

That’s the only negative on that console so far.

Reactions: tacogeoff

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

This shouldn’t be the reason why you make a decision on which console to get. I mean it sucks but it’s very minimal issue.

Reactions: Jussi and tacogeoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad