PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I kind of mind Sony not sending out PS5s a lot less now that it's clear MS sent them out on the condition that YouTube channels and media outlets make these weird "console review" videos before games are even out for it. Has this ever happened before?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I wonder if that's intentional by Sony, since the margins would be significantly better on the disc version (I somehow doubt a bluray drive costs $100).

Or maybe they want people to buy the digital version and people don't want it, who knows.
Sony loses more money on the digital version to start. It makes sense that they would push the pre orders to the disk version early on.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I kind of mind Sony not sending out PS5s a lot less now that it's clear MS sent them out on the condition that YouTube channels and media outlets make these weird "console review" videos before games are even out for it. Has this ever happened before?

Have publishers ever sent early hardware to outlets on the pretense of coverage?

Yes. Every single one.

Reactions: Jussi

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Sony loses more money on the digital version to start. It makes sense that they would push the pre orders to the disk version early on.
Yes, exactly, especially right now where Sony's movie company and electronics companies are probably bleeding money.
Have publishers ever sent early hardware to outlets on the pretense of coverage?

Yes. Every single one.

I've just never seen console "reviews" before the console was even out yet.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Yes, exactly, especially right now where Sony's movie company and electronics companies are probably bleeding money.

I haven't seen any actual reviews until today or yesterday. Until then it was just tests of the hardware on existing, backwards compatible software to show the gap between last gen and next gen.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I haven't seen any actual reviews until today or yesterday. Until then it was just tests of the hardware on existing, backwards compatible software to show the gap between last gen and next gen.
Of course, they all came out yesterday, likely an embargo. It just makes no sense to me to review consoles that don't even have games. Makes me wonder if it was a condition of getting the consoles.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Of course, they all came out yesterday, likely an embargo. It just makes no sense to me to review consoles that don't even have games. Makes me wonder if it was a condition of getting the consoles.

Personally, I don't think so.

For me it aligns with how PC hardware is reviewed. Rarely is a top-of-the-line videocard reviewed with a new game ready to take advantage of every feature or every ounce of power. In most cases, the new videocards or CPUs are tested using existing software proven to be taxing. Then they're compared to the last generation, the jump measured, and an evaluation of the value proposition of upgrading made.

I don't think anybody believes the games out of the gate on either Xbox Series X or PS5 are going to represent the console's potential. But as far as raw performance measures, comparing known commodities on two platforms is a worthwhile test.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

But why wouldn't you review and test out the new system? I feel like the last few generations launched didn't really take advantage of the system out of the gate or it was really limited in which games did.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I've seen reviews for consoles that never even got released. That was in the days of gaming news being entirely constricted to the magazine rack, but the concept remains the same.

As for the lack of games...frankly most console launches are f***ing terrible. The Dreamcast had the last console launch that would have satisfied me throughout the launch window on the strength of multiple great games. I'm punting on picking up either of these right away because of the lack of games, which is usually how I've handled these in the past anyway. The PS4 was the first console I got on launch day (Dreamcast had been out for a couple months) and it was used significantly less than my 360 or PS3 in its first year or so and I'd imagine much the same for these new consoles, so I'm punting until these consoles are more readily available before I even think about upgrading.

Even if I had stumbled into a launch edition of either of these consoles I don't know what the hell I'd be playing, other than slightly prettier variations of the same games I can play right now. Yakuza: Like A Dragon is the launch game that interests me the most and I'd be completely lost in that series (for as much as I love crazy-ass Japanese stuff and live for turn-based JRPGs, brawlers/fighting systems never appealed to me so getting into that series has remained near the bottom of my backlog all generation).

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
But why wouldn't you review and test out the new system? I feel like the last few generations launched didn't really take advantage of the system out of the gate or it was really limited in which games did.
The reviewers have had the system in their possession for the last month and were also provided games to play on it.

They will also be doing a mid-cycle review in a few years that will update their thoughts based on how the consoles have evolved and performed over a longer period of time.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
What are the games that are actually exclusive to the system on their launch day? I know PS5 has Astro and Bugwhatever but anything else? Seems so weird that they are both releasing when they hardly have any new games to play on them.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
What are the games that are actually exclusive to the system on their launch day? I know PS5 has Astro and Bugwhatever but anything else? Seems so weird that they are both releasing when they hardly have any new games to play on them.

Here’s every game coming to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X at launch and beyond

If you scroll down this article has a decent chart. As far as next-gen only exclusives there aren't many. PS5 has Godfall (which I believe is a times exclusive) and Astro's playroom, XSX has whatever Bright Memory 1.0 is. Everything else is available on both, available on current gen, or a remake.

Reactions: Jovavic

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Astro is a free short game that's preinstalled. Basically a tech demo. The only real non-cross gen exclusive is demons souls. If you want to plays miles Morales there's not really a point as it's cross gen and looks great even on base PS4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

BC games but installed to the SSD they have worse load times on ps5. May have to do with higher cpu clocks on xbox? I know PS5 has a variable clock speed, maybe it defaults to the lower clocks for BC games? Just a guess.

If so I'm sure on native titles the cpu will boost up to improve that. Hell the Nintendo switch does that for lots of games.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Am I the only person not bothered by loading times? If I'm going to play a game I don't expect to immediately be in control and doing something as soon as I start it up.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Am I the only person not bothered by loading times? If I'm going to play a game I don't expect to immediately be in control and doing something as soon as I start it up.
I used to not care but some of them now are absurd. I love Forza Horizon 4 but the loading times are ridiculous.

Reactions: Daxi

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think it depends, but tbh, I often turn the difficulty way down in games like HZD and Witcher 3 just because of how absolutely bonkers load times could be. You'd essentially be on your phone for the next two minutes once you die cause of load screens. I would be much more willing to play hard modes in games like that otherwise, so it has definitely affected my experience, and I've seen others stop playing games because of load times. I saw someone on Twitter the other day say they quit the ff7 remake because of the initial startup load time despite there being little to no load times after, simply because they weren't able to use rest mode due to power outages in their country that would corrupt his save. So a long initial load can be a lot worse for some than others as well.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada

I don't mind longer loading times to boot up the game, but games that require constant loading can get annoying (eg Skyrim).

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yea, no, death to load times. I don't expect everything to be instant but generation was pathetic. Multi-minute territory for some games every time you loaded into a new area or mission or whatever. Even things like loading your character menu in Destiny took several seconds. The issue also extended to the system level--populating stuff like store or library information.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No game was worse on loading times than RDR 2.

But it's still a far cry from C-64 era of 5-20 minute loading times, with high potential of the game crashing and having to reload the game.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The series X will be releasing without pretty much any exclusive content worth mentioning + it will take years before many of the games they showed off at their events get an actual release. What is the point of a gaming system without any solid exclusives?

We definitely come a long way from the excellence of the original Xbox and 360.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I give credit to Rockstar though because they just have one major loading screen and then you can go anywhere in the map without another loading screen. Just play Destiny 2....major loading screen to character....loading screen to ship...major loading screen to Tower....loading screen to any location. I think it takes at least ten minutes to actually play the game after the loading screens and getting bounties from the Tower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad