PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think I would be all over the XBOX if i had the choice but I cant wrap my head around them still not having a build in battery in the controller and instead forcing you to buy a rechargeable one as an accessory. just seems like an unneeded gouge.

My Play & Charge Kit battery works not just fine but better on the Series X controller. You just need a USB-C cable to recharge. It feels like it uses less power than the One X controller, because it lasts longer. Also fits much better and generally feels better built around the area. On the One X controller the metal pins could touch the left trigger. No fear of that with the new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I think I would be all over the XBOX if i had the choice but I cant wrap my head around them still not having a build in battery in the controller and instead forcing you to buy a rechargeable one as an accessory. just seems like an unneeded gouge.

I think I got my rechargeable pack at EB Games in Canada for...$20? Considering the PS5 controller is $15 more than the Xbox Series X controller, it all evens out pretty much.

Microsoft said they spent a ton on marketing and felt it was better to give the consumer the option between going fully wireless or purchasing a charging kit. My PS4 controller would die so quickly it was a bit of a nuisance.

Reactions: tacogeoff

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think I got my rechargeable pack at EB Games in Canada for...$20? Considering the PS5 controller is $15 more than the Xbox Series X controller, it all evens out pretty much.

Microsoft said they spent a ton on marketing and felt it was better to give the consumer the option between going fully wireless or purchasing a charging kit. My PS4 controller would die so quickly it was a bit of a nuisance.
The PS5 has a haptic motor, adaptive triggers, built in speaker, and gyroscope.

I know, that sounds like a bunch of useless BS but hear me out. The haptic motor combined with the speaker is a genuinely immersive element, not just in tech demos like Astro Bot, Demon Souls uses it really well for the hack and slash effects (haptic+speaker) and bow and arrow (adaptive triggers). I honestly wouldnt mind using the gyro for bow and arrow aiming either.

It feels sort of like a more refined version of what Nintendo's tried to do with their controllers.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
The PS5 has a haptic motor, adaptive triggers, built in speaker, and gyroscope.

I know, that sounds like a bunch of useless BS but hear me out. The haptic motor combined with the speaker is a genuinely immersive element, not just in tech demos like Astro Bot, Demon Souls uses it really well for the hack and slash effects (haptic+speaker) and bow and arrow (adaptive triggers). I honestly wouldnt mind using the gyro for bow and arrow aiming either.

It feels sort of like a more refined version of what Nintendo's tried to do with their controllers.

Do people really get “immersed” on games on console? The controllers feel nice but I don’t get immersion when playing.

Maybe I have another definition of immersed. I get immersed while playing VR not PC or console games.

Reactions: Jussi

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Do people really get “immersed” on games on console? The controllers feel nice but I don’t get immersion when playing.

Maybe I have another definition of immersed. I get immersed while playing VR not PC or console games.
Nah, it's absolutely an immersive element. Hell, if it wasn't a bonus the basic rumble motor wouldn't have stuck around almost 25 years now or however old the N64 rumble is.

This is just the evolution of that.

There's definitely levels of immersion outside of VR, look at what VR uses for controllers, essentially a combination of Kinect and PS move/Wii mote technology. Technology that was around long before VR and used in videogames because it added immersion.

Last edited:

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Nah, it's absolutely an immersive element. Hell, if it wasn't a bonus the basic rumble motor wouldn't have stuck around almost 25 years now or however old the N64 rumble is.

This is just the evolution of that.

There's definitely levels of immersion outside of VR, look at what VR uses for controllers, essentially a combination of Kinect and PS move/Wii mote technology. Technology that was around long before VR and used in videogames because it added immersion.

Yea I just see it different I guess after playing VR for years. Looking at a flat screen isn’t immersive to me regardless of controllers.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yea I just see it different I guess after playing VR for years. Looking at a flat screen isn’t immersive to me regardless of controllers.
Tbh, VR doesn't do much for me so I can't relate. The screen door effect is very noticeable to me and my nose was badly broken the times I tried it out last (I've since had surgery) so I would get some light leaking in. I've also got very long eyelashes and smudged the lenses.

I'm just a perfect storm for bad VR.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

I see your point, though its a positive for people like me who have a ton of recharagable AAs.

Quickswap to a new set beats charging via a cable for me, due to how far my couch is from the entertainment unit.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
To me, immersion is a very overrated aspect of video games. I've never played a video game and thought "wow is this such a great experience because I'm so immersed", and I don't think I ever will unless VR eventually reaches Sword Art Online level where your consciousness is basically transferred into the game lol.

I'm also not that interested in what the DualSense is doing because, like rumble, you can turn it off and still have pretty much the exact same experience. Motion controls on the other hand fundamentally change how the player interacts with the game.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
To me, immersion is a very overrated aspect of video games. I've never played a video game and thought "wow is this such a great experience because I'm so immersed", and I don't think I ever will unless VR eventually reaches Sword Art Online level where your consciousness is basically transferred into the game lol.

I'm also not that interested in what the DualSense is doing because, like rumble, you can turn it off and still have pretty much the exact same experience. Motion controls on the other hand fundamentally change how the player interacts with the game.
You can complete a game without rumble, but that doesn't say anything about whether it adds to the experience or not. It adds that extra bit of responsiveness in my experience to jumping, running and attacking from the time I've had with it that makes games a lot more enjoyable.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

I don't know, there is a lot of immersion in VR, I guess it depends on the person. Playing Half Life Alyx is pretty damn immersive especially if you play with an Index or the new HP Reverb G2. The visuals are insane with 2160p lenses with basically no screen door effect.

I take off my headset sometimes and it just feels weird that you are back to reality.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You know, you can charge the controller when you're not playing... I do it when I'm watching Netflix.

You can also plug it in while you're playing, the cord is really long. I've had the 2nd gen Elite for a while and that thing lasts forever. If it got low while you're playing you're just refusing to charge it all week. It also has the battery indicator on the controller so when it goes orange I put it on the cradle. It last weeks for me but I'm not gaming as much as you guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khelandros

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You can also plug it in while you're playing, the cord is really long. I've had the 2nd gen Elite for a while and that thing lasts forever. If it got low while you're playing you're just refusing to charge it all week.

Yes, the old cord was long. With the Series X you need a USB-C cable. I bought a cheap one for 6.50 euros, it 's only 1 meter long(there weren't longer ones at the store left) so that's why I prefer charging it when I'm not playing. And it last really long with one charge. I can go two days without recharging.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It makes no difference to me, since my tv is not 120 Hz (and I don't want to use my monitor since it's 1080p) but it's looking like PS5 will not be getting any patches and only supports PS4 pro mode. So same exact framerate and resolution as PS4 pro for all cross-gen games.

Some Current-Gen Games Are Getting 120 FPS Support On Xbox Series X But Not PS5

Also worth noting, the PS5 has an inferior HDMI 2.1 chip and outputs ycbcr422 instead of RGB at 4k 120 Hz. This means nothing for most people outside of maybe small text looking worse, but worth mentioning.
I looked into this, according to the rocket League devs, the reason there are so many more 120 fps games on Series X is that the One X, while it didn't have many if any 120 fps games actually did support 120 fps if the developers chose, while the PS4 Pro only supported 60 fps. So it's essentially just changing one tickbox for Xbox backwards compatible games to be 120 fps while PS5 requires a bigger patch.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I'm enjoying the hell out of my PS5. Might not be worth the jump just yet if you had a PS4, but as someone who missed out on the last gen it's easily worth it. PS plus is awesome value considering you get to play most of the PS4's biggest games while subscribed.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Amen to that. Hell, I think it's an overrated aspect of entertainment in general, and a completely superficial novelty.

Reactions: Mikeaveli

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's probably the first thing I've seen from the Series S/X that has actually been appealing to me, but it sounds like you can't use it as both a console and emulation box at the same time. I wish consoles and videogames would just embrace emulation. The ability to have a box that just plays all the videogames you're interested in currently and throughout history would multiply its value for me, ten-fold, personally.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Amen to that. Hell, I think it's an overrated aspect of entertainment in general, and a completely superficial novelty.

Immersion is the most important quality of entertainment. How much something is entertaining is directly proportional to how much we get caught up in it, want to continue doing it to the exclusion of other things, forget the worries of real life, get relief from stress and pass the time.

Lots of things can create immersion. A good story can. Fantasy settings and situations can. Addictive gameplay elements can. Larger screens and surround sound can. Blocking out all distractions, like VR does, can. Turning down the lights and turning up the sound, like movie theaters do, can. Simply forcing you to focus and imagine, like books do, can. Even things like 3D glasses and force feedback can do it.

Different things work for different people. Some things, like VR, 3D glasses and force feedback are more "novelty" approaches, but them not appealing to you doesn't mean that immersion doesn't. I think that it's safe to say that we all value immersion, but, like entertainment, itself, we each enjoy some forms more than others.

Reactions: GreytWun

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Immersion is the most important quality of entertainment. How much something is entertaining is directly proportional to how much we get caught up in it, want to continue doing it to the exclusion of other things, forget the worries of real life, get relief from stress and pass the time.

Lots of things can create immersion. A good story can. Fantasy settings and situations can. Addictive gameplay elements can. Larger screens and surround sound can. Blocking out all distractions, like VR does, can. Turning down the lights and turning up the sound, like movie theaters do, can. Simply forcing you to focus and imagine, like books do, can. Even things like 3D glasses and force feedback can do it.

Different things work for different people. Some things, like VR, 3D glasses and force feedback are more "novelty" approaches, but them not appealing to you doesn't mean that immersion doesn't. I think that it's safe to say that we all value immersion, but, like entertainment, itself, we each enjoy some forms more than others.
If you broaden the term to refer to the act of being engaged and interested in something, period, then sure - But I don't know if I totally agree with that definition, and it didn't seem to me like that's what GreytWun was referring to when he said "Looking at a flat screen isn’t immersive to me regardless of controllers" either, although I could be mistaken.

When I think of immersion, I think more of the escapism/distraction/time-killing/stress-relief side of what you're referring to, which I don't really care for, personally. Obviously it's unavoidably at play to some degree, but the fact that it has this effect certainly isn't what makes me appreciate the things that I like. If these were the only merits that I saw in something, its value would probably be pretty close to zero to me (if anything, the fact that it helps pass the time and distracts from reality is almost a negative/necessary evil rather than a total positive, in my eyes). I like it because it's part of reality and supplements my appreciation of it, not because it takes my mind off of it.

In other words, I don't ever want to be so lost in something that I forget that it's a crafted thing. The fact that I'm fully aware in the back of my mind that it's crafted and can appreciate it from a distance behind a thing that separates me from it is actually what I like most about this stuff. I want to focus on it and connect with it, sure (and that unavoidably requires some degree of what could be loosely considered immersion, I guess), but I don't think I care very much if at all about actually feeling transported.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My bro tried to buy an XSX from Walmart yesterday and bots got majority of them. Absolutely asinine that they didn't allow one per customer.

Reactions: GreytWun

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
My bro tried to buy an XSX from Walmart yesterday and bots got majority of them. Absolutely asinine that they didn't allow one per customer.
They have cancelled orders after the fact based off of “Quantity Limits” but for the most part they’re not called Botmart for no reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad