GDT: PS Game #6| FLYERS at NY Rangers |Mon., Sep. 29, 2014| 7:00 p.m. ET

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Couldn't watch cause I was at work. Saw the replays of our goals.

What a pass by Rinaldo. I think we found our first line winger :sarcasm:

Really like Leier. Excited to see what he can do on the Phantoms this year.

Ghost is a beast. Still think he'll start the year in the AHL, though.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Regarding Gostisbehere, consider the fact that he got 20 minutes tonight with little to no regard for matchups or zone starts. Those rookie mistakes would be hid by the sheltered minutes that he would get.

As far as I'm concerned, he's a major boost to this team. His transition game and speed are all we have been desperately lacking. Give him the easy minutes, and he will be a MUCH more valuable asset to this team than the guys he's competing with. And that includes MDZ.

Streit-Coburn
MacDonald-Schenn
Grossmann-Gostisbehere

Or flip Streit and Schenn if you want a more traditional shutdown pair.

I'd be totally fine with that if we're intent on keeping Grossmann (which we obviously are).

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Regarding Gostisbehere, consider the fact that he got 20 minutes tonight with little to no regard for matchups or zone starts. Those rookie mistakes would be hid by the sheltered minutes that he would get.

As far as I'm concerned, he's a major boost to this team. His transition game and speed are all we have been desperately lacking. Give him the easy minutes, and he will be a MUCH more valuable asset to this team than the guys he's competing with. And that includes MDZ.

Streit-Coburn
MacDonald-Schenn
Grossmann-Gostisbehere

Or flip Streit and Schenn if you want a more traditional shutdown pair.

I'd be totally fine with that if we're intent on keeping Grossmann (which we obviously are).

Im not sure about that. It wouldn't shock me at all to see him traded this year.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Gostisbehere stretch pass is amazing, the forward lose the puck for 1sec and it's gone to other side of the ice, with some polishing he should be able create a lot of breakaways.

he would do a lot of damage if he was playing for Vigneault.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I really didn't like the Morin pick, but I look very wrong. His ceiling looks ginormous. People aren't exaggerating when they say his hands have improved, and damn he can skate for a monster.

Can't wait to see what he and Ghost turn into within the next two-three years :naughty:

Every game I see him the more and more the Pronger lite comparison looks legit. Don't know if he will ever produce to those levels but you never know. Ghost is great offensively but he is having trouble handling the size in our end. Would like to see Morin drop the gloves to see if he can handle NHL tough guys if he's going to play tough he needs to show he won't be intimidated (think this wont be an issue from you tubevids). All in all continue to be impressed with Morin hopefully we continue to see this kind of progression each season for the next 3-5 years if so watch out

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Grossmann and DZ/Schultz can't be compared to Read and Couts. Not the same thing.

Grossmann will start solid as always but he'll inevitably get hurt and when he plays hurt he's a detriment to the team.

Schultz is not in competition with anyone but maybe Manning. His role as the 7th D is to practice and fill in on a short term basis in case of injury.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Apparently not.

Schenn seems like a dude that doesn't give a ****.

so i'm not surprised he looks bad in a preseason game.
Except BSchenn was the most motivated guy on the ice in the first preseason game. Comically so.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Im not sure about that. It wouldn't shock me at all to see him traded this year.

If you move one of Schenn or Grossmann not only does our defense become pretty undersized & softer but we would have to put one of MDZ, Streit, or Gostisbehere on the PK which I don't think is a very good idea. I think MDZ would be a casuality if Gostisbehere pushes someone out. You would want one of Schenn or Grossmann playing with Gostisbehere to cover up for his weaknesses & vice versa.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
B Schenn is inconsistent. Im far from a fan of his but he has his moments. He did look a lot like Hartnell tonight falling down everywhere but MSG ice is known to be amongst the worst in the league so...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was almost going overboard with how hard he was trying in the other preseason game and now he doesn't give a ****? Effort is never an issue. And I guess people are conveniently forgetting that he was put back to center with Raffl and Gordon against most of the Rangers real lineup... what are you expecting? I guess missing a pass that was in mid air as they're both flying towards the net is a new level of sucking? It's a game that means nothing and shouldn't be used for critiquing... unless it means we can needlessly **** on Schenn.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
If you move one of Schenn or Grossmann not only does our defense become pretty undersized & softer but we would have to put one of MDZ, Streit, or Gostisbehere on the PK which I don't think is a very good idea. I think MDZ would be a casuality if Gostisbehere pushes someone out. You would want one of Schenn or Grossmann playing with Gostisbehere to cover up for his weaknesses & vice versa.

That's why Im hoping Alt plays his way onto the team at some point during the season. Alt takes over for Grossmann, Ghost for MDZ.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Can we at least keep the Schenn hate realistic instead of stupid?

In the first period alone he was losing pretty much every 1 on 1 battle for the puck, save one I recall where he had a nice pass to set up a breakout. Was doing his usual "chasing the puck around" routine and constantly a step behind the play as a result, and couldn't stay on his feet.

It's really concerning. Like...at some point, the kid has to show something besides heart.

Of course, he was playing at center...which is out of position for him.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Flyers finished the game -5 in EV shot attempts. 47 CF 52 CA -- 47.5%
Morin was +10, 28 CF 18 CA -- 60.9%
Ghost was +9, 28 CF 19 CA -- 59.6%

======

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing :confused:

edit: credit to BobRbrts on twitter.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
  • I thought Ghost and Morin each had a few screw ups but looked great. Best i have seen yet of any of our d this preseason.
  • Schultz was awful.
  • Alt was bad as well but i think thats because Schultz brought his game down.
  • Rinaldo crosschecked a guy directly into Mason, looked awful the rest of the night. As someone who said they wouldnt mind him on the team, i would rather have Rosehill. If it werent for the fact we would be soft, i would rather have one of Laughton or Jones
  • Stortini is a circus act.
  • Blair Jones is playing his ass off, always hustling and trying to make an impact.
  • Laughton looked good, especially in the first period.
  • Schenn pretty much invisible
  • Akeson had a rough game

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh, forgot about that. This is not the first time Rinaldo has plowed players into his own goalie. It's more like the 5th+ time.

Get that guy off the team. We have better players waiting.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Rinaldo didn't look awful, and that's from someone who wanted him in Allentown. His line was generally solid and his pass to set up Akeson's goal was great.

Checking the guy into Mason was very stupid, though.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Did Zucarello slew foot Morin? Is that why Sammy retailiated? I couldn't tell what happened and the NYR announcers were too busy felating Zucarello to explain what happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad