Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He better have a very good reason for the stark decline year to year then. The personnel on the PK should have been an improvement.

Iafallo + Namestnikov >>>> Maenalanen + Stenlund
To be fair, Maenalanen was the Wayne Gretzky of penalty killing...

SeasonWOWYCA/60SA/60GA/60xGA/60SCA/60PK%
2022-23With 2nd1st2nd1st1st~84%, 2nd
2022-23Without25th19th14th24th24th~80%, 14th
2022-23Combined12th9th8th14th14th82.4% 7th
2023-24Without21st21st21st23rd21st77.1% 21st

This year's PK looks suspiciously close to last year's PK without Maenalanen on the ice. I estimated PK% for with and without in 2022-23 because I couldn't be arsed to figure it out exactly. But GA/60 gives a decent ballpark.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Names on the lists

Craig Berube
Rod Brind'Amour ( could be avail. )
Dean Evason
Don Granato
Dave Hakstol
Sheldon Keefe
Lane Lambert
Todd McLellan
David Quinn
D.J. Smith
Jay Woodcroft
Bruce Boudreau
Dallas Eakins
Gerard Gallant
Claude Julien
Mike Yeo
Scott Arniel
Jeff Blashill
Jeremy Colliton
Kevin Dineen
Phil Housley
Kirk Muller
Davis Payne
Todd Reirden
Joe Sacco
Brad Shaw
Geoff Ward
Trent Yawney
Seth Appert
Dan Bylsma
John Gruden
Marco Sturm
Todd Nelson
Karl Taylor

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I would be interested in Keefe.

Is there concern about his playoff performance, yes. However, it's not like there is any slam-dunk hires out there.

Keefe was highly successful in junior and the AHL, and highly successful in the regular season. He is still young, and maybe just needs to escape the curse of the Leafs to break out in the playoffs. He is the kinda hire that if it goes right it can be a long-term advantage for the Jets and I'd rather take that chance than the boring, no high upside Arniel or some of the other guys.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Breaking news right there.

Like surixon said, my concern is with the playoff performance. Seems like the exact same thing we've been doing here.

The big difference is that his teams maintain good metrics and fairly strong play in the postseason. They don't fall apart like ours have the past few years. He atleast has been able to go the distance in almost every series he's coached. So there has atleast been push back.

Given his age and pedigree I would think he figures out how to push through and start to win series. I think there is a lot of upside to Keefe.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Keefe had all the talent in the world in Toronto forward wise and couldn't get the job done.........hard pass

In favour of the against crowd, one point I can understand is he wasn’t able to “push the players” to the next level in playoffs similar to the criticisms with our group w the Jets

In favour of the for crowd though he gives his teams excellent metrics

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I want no part of Hakstol. Really, interviewing a coach because he has family close by...
yeah, I'm sure that's exactly why they gave him an interview... anyways looks like somebody lied about what was mentioned during the interview

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
yeah, I'm sure that's exactly why they gave him an interview... anyways the tweet later said that it is believed that nelson would get the job if arneil doesn't but who knows

I'd be fine with Nelson but until I know the actual source of that tweet I'm not going to put much stock in it.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I would be interested in Keefe.

Is there concern about his playoff performance, yes. However, it's not like there is any slam-dunk hires out there.

Keefe was highly successful in junior and the AHL, and highly successful in the regular season. He is still young, and maybe just needs to escape the curse of the Leafs to break out in the playoffs. He is the kinda hire that if it goes right it can be a long-term advantage for the Jets and I'd rather take that chance than the boring, no high upside Arniel or some of the other guys.
I'm not against any hire but Keefe had some great forwards, shity defense just like Winnipeg and couldn't get it done in Toronto. Although he didn't have Vezina regular season goaltending like us i guess.

None

Feb 22, 2012
To be fair, Maenalanen was the Wayne Gretzky of penalty killing...

SeasonWOWYCA/60SA/60GA/60xGA/60SCA/60PK%
2022-23With2nd1st2nd1st1st~84%, 2nd
2022-23Without25th19th14th24th24th~80%, 14th
2022-23Combined12th9th8th14th14th82.4% 7th
2023-24Without21st21st21st23rd21st77.1% 21st

This year's PK looks suspiciously close to last year's PK without Maenalanen on the ice. I estimated PK% for with and without in 2022-23 because I couldn't be arsed to figure it out exactly. But GA/60 gives a decent ballpark.

Yeah, I'm skeptical that Maenalanen could reproduce those numbers. Those are on par with guys like Elias Lindholm and Mikael Backlund who finished 6th and 10th in Selke voting that season :laugh:

If Arniel's PK relied on someone doing their best Patrice Bergeron impression I'm not sure that's necessarily a point in his favour.

Reactions: roccerfeller

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Keefe had all the talent in the world in Toronto forward wise and couldn't get the job done.........hard pass
There are different levels of not getting it done. There is the level of the Jets this playoffs, who were beaten as badly as could be imagined and never had a sniff at the series, and the Leafs losing game 7 in OT on the road in a series that was as tight as possible. At that point it basically comes down to a coin flip. Don't get me wrong I was happy as hell the Leafs got punted, but for me it doesn't rule out Keefe.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
There are different levels of not getting it done. There is the level of the Jets this playoffs, who were beaten as badly as could be imagined and never had a sniff at the series, and the Leafs losing game 7 in OT on the road in a series that was as tight as possible. At that point it basically comes down to a coin flip. Don't get me wrong I was happy as hell the Leafs got punted, but for me it doesn't rule out Keefe.

I wouldn’t rule him out either, I’ll say this he’s not great with the media though. IMO

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Names on the lists

Craig Berube
Rod Brind'Amour ( could be avail. )
Dean Evason
Don Granato
Dave Hakstol
Sheldon Keefe
Lane Lambert