GDT: PS Game #6| FLYERS at NY Rangers |Mon., Sep. 29, 2014| 7:00 p.m. ET

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Outside of checking a player into Mason I actually thought Rinaldo wasn't too bad tonight. I didn't really notice him too much after that expect for the nice pass on the Akeson goal. If he can go unnoticed for the majority of the game well then that's not too bad of a night for Rinaldo's standards.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Randy Miller's recap...

THE GOOD
• LW Taylor Leier, reassigned to the AHL last week but in the Flyers’ lineup Sunday and Monday, scored for the second game in a row. He's known for being a strong two-way player, but showed speed and skill scoring his wraparound goal that cut into a 3-0 Rangers’ lead. The night before he scored a third-period shorthanded goal. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: This kid looks like a player.

• D Shayne Gostisbehere needs work on his all-around game, but he showcased his offensive talents firing a hard shot at the net off a Brayden Schenn face-off win that deflected in 11:30 into third period to get the Flyers to within two goals at 5-3. Gostisbehere also assisted on Leier's goal for a two-point night.

• LW Zac Rinaldo and RW Jason Akeson made a nice play teaming up to score the Flyers' second goal. Rinaldo made a cross-ice pass to Akeson, who ripped a shot past Rangers G Henrik Lundqvist. Rinaldo has a spot on the team, but Akeson is battling to make the team and this goal helps his cause because what he brings most is offense.

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/...yers_stink_it_up_for_second_night_in_row.html

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Can't say I was very impressed with Alt tonight.

Liked what I saw from Morin. Good intensity, stayed with his assignment, good stick checking, good short passes. I like how he's developing, I can't wait to see how he grows this season in the Q.

Laughton keeps impressing me with his puckhandling. I was a firm believer in playing him the whole season in the AHL so that he can lead that team, but now I'm starting to think he'd be a great 3rd line Center on our team. Maybe even a winger with Couts and Read

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Coburn sure didn't looked good tonight, did he?

On the other hand, I was again impressed with Leier, Morin, Jones, and Gostisbehere. I thought Raffl and Laughton were pretty good, as well.

As for Nick Schultz...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Did Zucarello slew foot Morin? Is that why Sammy retailiated? I couldn't tell what happened and the NYR announcers were too busy felating Zucarello to explain what happened.

That was my first reaction. Couldn't tell on the replay.

I could watch Stortini try and play defense on that second Haggerty goal all night long. Haggerty flew by him and you could just see him say "**** It".

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not sure what you're objecting to in that article. Didn't the Flyers stink out the joint?

Criticizing Mason is very stupid as well as listing Morin in the bad because of one penalty.

The Flyers weren't great but considering the roster they sent out compared to the roster New York sent out they did better than I expected especially after the first period.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I said it before, I don't like him but right now he is the 7th defenseman and will sit in the pressbox. I would rather have Shultz sit in the box than one of the young defenseman.

Yeah, he's likely just there as a body to be with the team in case of an emergency. Any long term injury you're likely seeing a young guy come up & fill in.

He's not very good but this wasn't really a surprise to anybody who knew anything about him prior to the signing. He got pushed out both in Edmonton & Columbus by young inexperienced defenders. I don't know what the hell Hextall was smoking when he claimed Schultz was more than a 7th defensemen during that meet & greet thing with the fans back in the summer.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
this Gostisbehere kid is legit. Always love seeing defenders making it out of the later rounds.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Criticizing Mason is very stupid as well as listing Morin in the bad because of one penalty.

The Flyers weren't great but considering the roster they sent out compared to the roster New York sent out they did better than I expected especially after the first period.

This.

Miller is a clown though so this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Wait are people blaming ghost on the 6th goal? This is the only place I see people blaming Ghost. Why did Morin follow Ghost into the corner when it was just one guy there? Ghost didint get beat and Morin cane over anyway. Not hating on Morin because I thought he had a good game but that was maybe 5-10% Ghosts fault on that goal. No reason for Morin to go over into the corner. Should be covering the front of the net. Now mind you after that mistake Schenn decided not to cover anyone, but again when a player goes into the corner one defender takes unless beaten and the other stays infront of the net.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Also I know its preseason but the last two games the vets looked like they havent cared too much. I know its a rough schedule but really other than Raffl none of the forwards have really impressed. Streit on defense as been the only good one also. Coburn and MacD have been getting eaten ALIVE this preseason. Really hope ot turns around because if not we are in alot of trouble.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Coburn and MacD have been getting eaten ALIVE this preseason. Really hope ot turns around because if not we are in alot of trouble.

Coburn and MacD got eaten alive in last years playoffs so it looks like they picked up where they left off.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Yeah, he's likely just there as a body to be with the team in case of an emergency. Any long term injury you're likely seeing a young guy come up & fill in.

He's not very good but this wasn't really a surprise to anybody who knew anything about him prior to the signing. He got pushed out both in Edmonton & Columbus by young inexperienced defenders. I don't know what the hell Hextall was smoking when he claimed Schultz was more than a 7th defensemen during that meet & greet thing with the fans back in the summer.

I understand the point of not blunting a prospect's development by sitting him in the box, but what do we see as a legitimate reason for Schultz to be receiving regular paycheques? If someone goes down for 1-2 games, is he the better option to suit up versus a Phantom like Alt who is now much more coveniently located? And if there is a long-term injury, does the front office seriously consider Schultz to be a logical stopgap?

It was a so-so idea in the offseason and has become – I'm going on game reports, so requisite grain of salt – painfully obvious that Schultz is not an NHLer. I'd rather see someone like Alt be kept up and rotate the D so he gets a fair bit of playing time.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Schultz is this years Gill. He won't play enough for it to matter and you can't park a prospect in the press box. I'm fine with a 7th being a poor player for the few games they get. If it looks like someone will be out for over a week they will call up one of several options and play them.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Wait are people blaming ghost on the 6th goal? This is the only place I see people blaming Ghost. Why did Morin follow Ghost into the corner when it was just one guy there? Ghost didint get beat and Morin cane over anyway. Not hating on Morin because I thought he had a good game but that was maybe 5-10% Ghosts fault on that goal. No reason for Morin to go over into the corner. Should be covering the front of the net. Now mind you after that mistake Schenn decided not to cover anyone, but again when a player goes into the corner one defender takes unless beaten and the other stays infront of the net.

I actually blame Schenn on that one, he shouldn't have been behind the net, Ghost and Morin we're already there and the slot was wide open.
He knew it was on him too after the goal, you saw it on his face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad