Post-Game Talk: PS Game 4 - BRUINS 4 Philly 3 F/OT - Cassidy doesn’t think Krejci injury is serious

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Thought Clifton was the only good dman last night TBH.

Marchand and Pasta already look electric.

Coyle is going to have a career year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get an extension to bridge the gap.

Lauko I thought was great. He’s so fast and backchecks really hard. He also scored an awesome goal. I do see top 6 in his future just needs a bit more seasoning.

Kuraly and Wags played how you have grown to expect them to.

Heinen to me looks like the most ready to start the season. I think they even had him out there at center for a shift or two after Krejci went down.

Everyone else was one big yawn.

I agree with all of this.

Lauko also impressed me with not only his speed but he was finishing some checks as well and grinding it out on that line. Can't help but get excited to see what this kid can do in the near future being only 19.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You love to argue with yourself. Not a single person (besides you) calls any of those 3 skilled superstars.
It was hyperbole. I like Vaak and see him as a top 4 D in a couple of years (some on here have him as a top pairing guy), there are plenty of people who defend Senyshyn, I will be amazed if he ever scores 50 goals in his NHL career. Lauko I just threw out because I thought he had a good game and the speed and skill crowd were thrilled with him.

There are plenty of posters on this site that if 2 players would produce the exact same offensive number but one was physical, took penalties, fought, hit and was a general nuisance to the other team on the ice and the other small, speedy and skilled would take the small, speedy and skilled. Which was my point, balance, they need some size and toughness to balance the small skill, but even though this was a plain as could be to anybody watching last years finals some still want smaller and softer with more speed and skill.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA

Lauko also impressed me with not only his speed but he was finishing some checks as well and grinding it out on that line. Can't help but get excited to see what this kid can do in the near future being only 19.
Yes! I think he also has a skill set where he does not need to break in on the top 6. He can start on the 4th/3rd line to grow his game. Ceiling for me is Vrana.

Reactions: JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I look forward to the wailing and gnashing of teeth all season over Backes, Ritchie and Petrovic being on the team while "skilled superstars" Senyshyn, Lauko and Vaak are in Providence.
If Petrovic makes this team I'll **** in a hat.

He may have BEEN an NHL defensemen, but my gosh he's looked awful this preseason. The Bs have better options that I'd rather see.

Also really haven't been impressed with Richie but we'll see. Backes is trying- Looked more effective last night I will say that.

Reactions: TCB

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Thought Clifton was the only good dman last night TBH.

Marchand and Pasta already look electric.

Coyle is going to have a career year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get an extension to bridge the gap.

Lauko I thought was great. He’s so fast and backchecks really hard. He also scored an awesome goal. I do see top 6 in his future just needs a bit more seasoning.

Kuraly and Wags played how you have grown to expect them to.

Heinen to me looks like the most ready to start the season. I think they even had him out there at center for a shift or two after Krejci went down.

Everyone else was one big yawn.

Honestly in the playoffs last year I thought Clifton was one of our better defensemen. Which makes it even more odd that a half dead Jon Moore played instead of him in game 7 last year.

And I think Heinen should be first line RW. Pasta has to be with Krejci. I think thats where will we be our best. We need 2 solid lines and a RWer for Krejci.

Reactions: bbfan419 and BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Try not to call me a “hater” as I have plenty of historical posts which say otherwise, but does Pasta...concern...anyone else?

His skating seems to have regressed from a couple years ago (as far as pure speed goes) and he continues to turn the puck over. He also remains hesitant to shoot seemingly.

He still has the talent and linemates to put up points, no doubt. But there’s been changes in his game, and lack of improvement in certain areas, that is actually making him to appear to me to be a little bit less than what I thought he could be. Like I said, just not sure why the speed and desire to shoot have suddenly (and not so temporarily) dropped.

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Try not to call me a “hater” as I have plenty of historical posts which say otherwise, but does Pasta...concern...anyone else?

His skating seems to have regressed from a couple years ago (as far as pure speed goes) and he continues to turn the puck over. He also remains hesitant to shoot seemingly.

He still has the talent and linemates to put up points, no doubt. But there’s been changes in his game, and lack of improvement in certain areas, that is actually making him to appear to me to be a little bit less than what I thought he could be. Like I said, just not sure why the speed and desire to shoot have suddenly (and not so temporarily) dropped.

DITTO!^^^^^^^^^^^ I am really a bit concerned. He has developed on his bad habits IMO trying to be Ovechkin but he doesn't have the body and attitude to make an opposing player pay the price when they strip him of the puck. I would give him some time on the 3rd line whenever he has a brain fart that hurts the team. He needs to be knocked down a couple pegs.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Maybe he's still having trouble with his thumb???? That injury really hindered his ability to shoot during the Cup Final and with such a short off-season it may not be fully healed. I don't know. I agree with you about the turnovers, that has to be corrected but again he may have trouble handling the puck if his thumb isn't right.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Honestly in the playoffs last year I thought Clifton was one of our better defensemen. Which makes it even more odd that a half dead Jon Moore played instead of him in game 7 last year.

And I think Heinen should be first line RW. Pasta has to be with Krejci. I think thats where will we be our best. We need 2 solid lines and a RWer for Krejci.

Clifton struggled in the finals. He had a terrible giveaway with the net empty (Game 5 maybe). I loved him before the finals but he felt the pressure at the end. It wasn't a surprise or a bad decision to scratch him. Moor wasn't on the ice for any of the goals against and played a solid game.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Maybe he's still having trouble with his thumb???? That injury really hindered his ability to shoot during the Cup Final and with such a short off-season it may not be fully healed. I don't know. I agree with you about the turnovers, that has to be corrected but again he may have trouble handling the puck if his thumb isn't right.

Perhaps true on the hand injury...though that still is a concern.

What about the skating? I remember he could burn guys with speed to the outside a couple of years ago and he does not seem to be able to skate past many players at all now. On the technical side, he’s never been a great skater, but I do remember him having pretty explosive straight line speed at one time.

The longer things go on where most of his effectiveness seems to come through the man advantage, the more concerned I get. People expressed a lot of concern about the lack of scoring from the top guys in the Finals last year, and I think from an individual perspective, Pasta is the guy I am focused on mostly in that regard. I just have to see more, even if his contract is friendly.

Reactions: BMC

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Lauko a possible 10 game try out?

He looked fantastic last night. That goal was something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419 and TCB

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It was hyperbole. I like Vaak and see him as a top 4 D in a couple of years (some on here have him as a top pairing guy), there are plenty of people who defend Senyshyn, I will be amazed if he ever scores 50 goals in his NHL career. Lauko I just threw out because I thought he had a good game and the speed and skill crowd were thrilled with him.

There are plenty of posters on this site that if 2 players would produce the exact same offensive number but one was physical, took penalties, fought, hit and was a general nuisance to the other team on the ice and the other small, speedy and skilled would take the small, speedy and skilled. Which was my point, balance, they need some size and toughness to balance the small skill, but even though this was a plain as could be to anybody watching last years finals some still want smaller and softer with more speed and skill.
You're arguing against yourself here. literally no one here has said that, or even would say that. Assuming the exact same production, everyone here would take the bigger guy. The unfortunate fact is that quite often, guys who are bigger and more physical, and who fight, rarely have the offensive skills to produce the same numbers as the smaller skills guys. And it's OK that they don't. You're right. Some balance is needed, but don't argue something that literally no one has or would say.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

It's been about 3 months since he last played.
If his thumb hasn't healed in that time it isn't
going to get better this year.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Don't act like we are the Habs here. It's not like Sweeney signed Cammalleri, Gomez, and Gionta in one offseason to ice a first line with an average height of 5'8"

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My eyes might by lying but I thought Vaak was very good. Telegraphed some passes but that’s fixable. Needs some time getting big minutes in North American ice in Providence, I’ll admit.

Zboril looked like he has NHL tools but the simple game they have him playing seems to mute them. I guess he is keeping it simple because they don’t trust his IQ, but really limits his upside. Not as high on his game as others posting.

Coyle was very good but they missed Krejci and Bergeron between the bluelines. so badly want Frederic to join the mold of difficult to play against centers that Coyle and Kuraly currently hold.

Cliffy hockey is fun hockey.

Can we cut Petro yet?

cant believe Backes has another year after this one. He is done.

so glad Krejci is ok.

My confidence in Vladar was very low.

Lauko I like, but don’t see top 6 in his future.

Heinen is going to have a huge year.

Ritchie is not.

Love the scoreboard.

First of the preseason games I have watched from start to finish, pretty much agree with most of which you said with the exception of Lauko. I have no idea if he will wind up top 6 but the kid has speed, skill and very good IQ, pretty solid recipe for a top 6 player, we may end up seeing him being ideal for a 3rd line role but way too early to say he isn`t a top 6 guy.

Vaak made a few telegraphed passes as you said, also made about a half dozen plays covering for Petro who was putrid, Zboril steady

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Frederic must be happy they won....springs Marchand for a breakaway but no goal, then later lays down his stick to stop the open man in the slot from getting the pass and redirects the puck in his own net. Two good plays with not good results.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Yes. He's a turnover machine and too often soft on the puck. I was willing to put the latter on his thumb injury in the postseason but he looks the same now and it seems unlikely that it's still troubling him. However it's only been one game so he may clean it up. Same with the skating - he was certainly a little flat last night but let's see how it looks in a few weeks.

But he definitely gets away with too many lazy and cute plays, and has done for awhile, probably simply because he's Pasta and he has a licence to play with flair. But it's gone too far ever since he came back from the injury - too many of his errant passes have led to goals against and too many giveaways on PPs have led to short hand opportunities. It's fine to want him to be dynamic but he should be as accountable as everyone else for what he does with the puck - no other player in the squad except possibly Marchand would get away with making as many mistakes and soft plays as he does.

He seems like a guy who's a hard worker and wants to do right by the rest of the team, so I can only put the issues down to either poor coaching or that Cassidy and co. simply aren't bothered by it. He's still the most talented and valuable winger we have, and when he's on his game and making good plays he's up there with the very best, but I'd love to see his 200-foot game and 'hockey IQ' continue to mature and improve, rather than the current stagnant state they seem to be in.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Frederic must be happy they won....springs Marchand for a breakaway but no goal, then later lays down his stick to stop the open man in the slot from getting the pass and redirects the puck in his own net. Two good plays with not good results.
if there was a positive on the self goal it`s that Frederic would not have identified as quickly where he needed to be on that play and the player in front would have likely been wide open for an uncontested chance, progress not perfection. Thought Frederic played well, made a real nice play, think in the second(?) where he was tripped and still had the focus to get the puck to the front of the net while being on the ice

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00