Post-Game Talk: PS Game 4 - BRUINS 4 Philly 3 F/OT - Cassidy doesn’t think Krejci injury is serious

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I look forward to the wailing and gnashing of teeth all season over Backes, Ritchie and Petrovic being on the team while "skilled superstars" Senyshyn, Lauko and Vaak are in Providence.

What strawman will you come with when none of this happens?

Your "tough takes" are beyond tired. Also, it's hilarious you include Lauko in this one. He has speed and skill but also plays chippy and isn't afraid of the rough stuff and dirty areas.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Try not to call me a “hater” as I have plenty of historical posts which say otherwise, but does Pasta...concern...anyone else?

His skating seems to have regressed from a couple years ago (as far as pure speed goes) and he continues to turn the puck over. He also remains hesitant to shoot seemingly.

He still has the talent and linemates to put up points, no doubt. But there’s been changes in his game, and lack of improvement in certain areas, that is actually making him to appear to me to be a little bit less than what I thought he could be. Like I said, just not sure why the speed and desire to shoot have suddenly (and not so temporarily) dropped.

There were only 3 players (Ovechkin, Draisaitl and Arvidsson) who scored more goals per game than Pasta last year.

That said, you are correct stating there is a lack of improvement in certain areas. He has played 5 NHL seasons now. Time for his overall game to show more improvement.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
There were only 3 players (Ovechkin, Draisaitl and Arvidsson) who scored more goals per game than Pasta last year.

That said, you are correct stating there is a lack of improvement in certain areas. He has played 5 NHL seasons now. Time for his overall game to show more improvement.

He's a great sniper and playmaker on the PP. And that showed throughout the playoffs last year.

But he needs to be more consistent and reliable in ES. It just doesn't feel like he is using his brain a lot of the time. He also needs to up his ability to take hits. I understand why he coughs up the puck as much as he does, because he puts himself in a position to get hammered along the boards constantly. He's actually not the smallest guy overall so he's got to somehow anticipate physical contact more effectively allowing him to make smarter plays. I don't think any other player on this team coughed up the puck half as much due to physicality from the opposition as much as Pastrnak, and I am including Marchand.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Perhaps true on the hand injury...though that still is a concern.

What about the skating? I remember he could burn guys with speed to the outside a couple of years ago and he does not seem to be able to skate past many players at all now. On the technical side, he’s never been a great skater, but I do remember him having pretty explosive straight line speed at one time.

The longer things go on where most of his effectiveness seems to come through the man advantage, the more concerned I get. People expressed a lot of concern about the lack of scoring from the top guys in the Finals last year, and I think from an individual perspective, Pasta is the guy I am focused on mostly in that regard. I just have to see more, even if his contract is friendly.

NHL defensemen learn quickly.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Lauko a possible 10 game try out?

He looked fantastic last night. That goal was something else.

He did look fantastic and what a beauty of a shot, but only 9 minutes of ice time is puzzling to me considering the bruins were down a man the majority of the night and Lauko was outstanding every time he was on the ice. I hope they already haven't made a decision to start him off in the minors because he's looked better than the Ritchies,Frederic and the Backes of the world.

Sweeney has stated in the past, that if someone earns a spot no matter salary or age he'll be rewarded, well so far Lauko has earned it. The one problem could be his position as a LW where the Bruins are stacked with Marchand,Debrusk,Heinen,Nordstrom and Lindholm.

On the right-side I feel Steen and Kuhlman have been the two most deserving to start the season as Bruins over Backes and Ritchie, on the second and 3rd line lines. They've been very productive/electric at times and have energy to boot.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Try not to call me a “hater” as I have plenty of historical posts which say otherwise, but does Pasta...concern...anyone else?

His skating seems to have regressed from a couple years ago (as far as pure speed goes) and he continues to turn the puck over. He also remains hesitant to shoot seemingly.

He still has the talent and linemates to put up points, no doubt. But there’s been changes in his game, and lack of improvement in certain areas, that is actually making him to appear to me to be a little bit less than what I thought he could be. Like I said, just not sure why the speed and desire to shoot have suddenly (and not so temporarily) dropped.
I am not worried about Pasta.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Chara always falls down a lot.

Oldest guy in the league and he's 6'9". Seems to lend itself to falling down some.

I counted 3 trips over the blue line last night. Either he was rusty or he had new skates.

The ice was not good, passes not connecting and lots of toepicking expeciallyin the corners.

Reactions: BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I counted 3 trips over the blue line last night. Either he was rusty or he had new skates.

The ice was not good, passes not connecting and lots of toepicking expeciallyin the corners.

The last couple of years with Chara have progressed the same way. Slow start, gets up to speed after 20 or so games, and then starts to tire as regular season ends, playoffs go on. I was really worried about his place on the team a few years ago, but I actually feel he's held his value nicely and overall better than I expected.

That being said, I really do think this is the official, final year for him in a Bruins uniform and the NHL.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Frederic must be happy they won....springs Marchand for a breakaway but no goal, then later lays down his stick to stop the open man in the slot from getting the pass and redirects the puck in his own net. Two good plays with not good results.
I still think he needs more time in Provi to improve and round up his game.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I will probably be cut for saying this, but that Bobby statue is freaky looking lol. I'm not a fan of statues anyway.

I require more information. Not about the Bobby statue, about "im not a fan of statues anyway." Should we start a thread? I think there is more here. I'm fascinated.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
while i agree with some and disagree with others takes.. heres my 2 cents.. i thought zboril was extremely solid.. i thought vak was dissapointing, clifton is ok , but some people raving about him needs to slow down a little, but i get it, he makes watching the game more exciting.. i actually though backes was decent last night.. .i love how we are all judging every move of the typical starters, yet this is preseason, timing, skating, dekes, and just overall flow of the game .. all these guys are just treating it as such, a preseason game.. ! cant wait for the reg season..

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
My 2 cents on Pasta,

Yes he doesn't look as fast or as explosive as he did a few years back , he also weights about 20 lbs more so maybe that fits into the equation somewhere.

He does turn away from the puck when he's about to be hit like he did before last nights 1st goal against. Now I don't care if he does that in a pre-season game, in fact I encourage it, but if he's turning away in the PO's like he did last season, then we got a problem. He is often the target of a hit, a bit because he exposes himself to it but also because he's a good player, teams want to intimidate good players. Turning away won't go unnoticed by opposing teams and will only encourage it so Pasta is going to have to suck it up and be more careful and even hit back.

Giveaways are also an issue, often the result of a no look pass, he needs to reel that in as well.

Every player has his flaws and I'll take Pasta on my team any day. To say I'm worried would be an over statement. To say I'd like him to clean those things up would be more accurate.

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
My 2 cents on Pasta,

Yes he doesn't look as fast or as explosive as he did a few years back , he also weights about 20 lbs more so maybe that fits into the equation somewhere.

He does turn away from the puck when he's about to be hit like he did before last nights 1st goal against. Now I don't care if he does that in a pre-season game, in fact I encourage it, but if he's turning away in the PO's like he did last season, then we got a problem. He is often the target of a hit, a bit because he exposes himself to it but also because he's a good player, teams want to intimidate good players. Turning away won't go unnoticed by opposing teams and will only encourage it so Pasta is going to have to suck it up and be more careful and even hit back.

Giveaways are also an issue, often the result of a no look pass, he needs to reel that in as well.

Every player has his flaws and I'll take Pasta on my team any day. To say I worried would be an over statement. To say I'd like him to clean those things up would be more accurate.
The word is out, hit every chance you get, hell shy away and gives puck away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad