GDT: PS Game #1A| Washington at FLYERS (split squad) |Mon., Sep. 22, 2014| 7:00 p.m. ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Looks like Berube realized what we did, he changed up the D pairs so Sanheim is with Coburn and Streit and MacDonald are back together.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I wouldn't worry a bit about how the teams looked. After all, we have split our team and prospects up across two games while our opponents haven't.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Sanheim looked raw but extremely promising. Does have a ton of poise and has a good stick defensively. Needs work on Dzone coverage and building strength for board battles (no surprise).

Ghost has a ton of skill crisp passes , good skating, hard shot but he made a lot of rookie mistakes (had trouble battling in front of the net and some brain fart plays coming out of our zone) that being said you clearly see offensive talent and poise with the puck is there.

Jones was best non roster player. solid game all around.

NAK and Leier also showed good fundamentals and showed me they have good future with the O&B (NAK in particular showed some good offensive upside). Leier two way play and speed with the puck were good as well.

Hagg looked steady but didn't flash in either a positive or negative fashion.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There were a couple times in the first where Ghost went way too deep offensively and had to play catch up. Not surprising given his style, but very risky with Emery in net.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Went to the game, the booing of the ice boys was hilarious, it got progressively louder as the game went on.

$20 for parking, for a preseason game? come on...

Ghost looked nervous but had some really great breakouts, he is going to be really good once he plays at the ahl level for a year or two and cleans his game up.

Sanheim was the best skater on the ice tonight. So fun to watch, excited to see him in a year or two, if he develops his offensive game....wow.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yea you can see how good Sanhiem will be. Still alittle rough in some parts of his game but he controls the play well and really can move with the puck. Excited to see his offensive game hopefully take off. He looked better than Morin did his rookie preseason game thats for sure.

Ghost had moments that wowed and then moments where you facepalmed. A year in the AHL will be good for him.

Hagg was not noticeable but I thought he was good. You can tell he is the "vet" prospect since he made the right simple plays on the ice. Him and Ghost didnt have much chemistry (ran into eachother a few times) but first game is always hard.

Out of the non roster guys totally agree on Jones. Was not expecting that either. The guy looked real good. I was impressed when it was 5-10 mins in and he was on the left side, went down the ice protecting the puck, went behind the net and then dished it off. He just had a really good game. Good for him. He would seem to be a good short callup. He easily looked better than VV.

Straka had a good first period then was MIA. Didnt hear him much in the 2nd or 3rd. Leier didnt remember hearing his name until near the end of the 2nd and 3rd. AK I think did very well for an 18 yr old forward. Had a few shots, got open quite a few times and made some good plays. Definitely heard his name more the the other prospects. You can tell the game is currently a step fast for him at times but you can see he will be a good one. Very smart player.

Emery was Emery, played ok but still loses the puck in traffic. Zepp was ok too. Made some good saves but was really slow on the one goal. He looked pretty good though and had some decent rebound control.

Overall it is a preseason game and we did win, but against the Caps B squad we looked alright at best. Nothing to worry about though. Just hope Coburn and MacD get some chemistry as time goes on. They had NONE last night.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Went to the game, the booing of the ice boys was hilarious, it got progressively louder as the game went on.

$20 for parking, for a preseason game? come on...

Ghost looked nervous but had some really great breakouts, he is going to be really good once he plays at the ahl level for a year or two and cleans his game up.

Sanheim was the best skater on the ice tonight. So fun to watch, excited to see him in a year or two, if he develops his offensive game....wow.

God, they're up to $20?

Flyers have nothing to do with the parking by the way.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Who was the third guy on the broadcast last night? It wasn't Bundy. He talked a lot. More than Jonsey.

Craig Laughlin. He's CSN-DC's color guy. He's normally a full-on homer, so it was interesting to see him ***** out on some of the strong remarks he usually makes against the Flyers.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
My take on this one:

- All three of the young defensemen showed why the Flyers brass is so high on them. Sanheim has the poise of a 28 year old already. He just needs to get stronger and get a little meaner. Other than that, he already looks like a kid that could hang in the NHL on talent alone. Gostisbehere made some plays that showed off his skill set, but he too still has to get stronger. His net front play is not very good right now. His puck moving is already high-end though, even if he should be more conservative at times. He had a bad turnover towards the end of the first and wasn't nearly as aggressive after that. Hagg is going to be solid all around. He's one of those "does everything well, but nothing elite" type of guys. To me, he's ahead of Ghost though. He can handle the physicality already. His SHL polish showed last night.

- Umberger was pretty useless outside of his toe-drag in the third. Hopefully he's still just shaking rust off, or we could be in for a long year with him. He looked noticeably slower than almost everyone on the ice.

- Straka was invisible. NAK looked good, very noticeable. He has some good speed on the wing and isn't afraid to go to the contact areas to make a play. Liked what I saw from him.

- Vorabeast was alive and well last night. He looks a lot thinner, but it hasn't hurt his puck possession one bit. I think he really breaks out this year. It appears that he's finally all-in as a professional.

- Streit is going to run the powerplay unit very well with Giroux, but everyone already knew that. He was also very good in the his own zone, which I didn't expect so early on in the preseason.

- Jones is making a serious push for a spot on the fourth line. He was all over the place, in a good way.

- Schenn looked very good to me. He looks quicker and he certainly was more engaged than we saw him for most of last year. He could be in for a breakout season, even if he's not with Giroux and Voracek 100% of the time.

- Brett Hextall looked better than I thought he would. He's a yapper too. Not an NHL level player, but will be good for the kids in the AHL.

- Coburn looked alright. MacDonald looked good at times, and bad at others. He overhandled the puck a couple of times.

- Both goalies were meh.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
My take on this one:

- All three of the young defensemen showed why the Flyers brass is so high on them. Sanheim has the poise of a 28 year old already. He just needs to get stronger and get a little meaner. Other than that, he already looks like a kid that could hang in the NHL on talent alone. Gostisbehere made some plays that showed off his skill set, but he too still has to get stronger. His net front play is not very good right now. His puck moving is already high-end though, even if he should be more conservative at times. He had a bad turnover towards the end of the first and wasn't nearly as aggressive after that. Hagg is going to be solid all around. He's one of those "does everything well, but nothing elite" type of guys. To me, he's ahead of Ghost though. He can handle the physicality already. His SHL polish showed last night.

- Umberger was pretty useless outside of his toe-drag in the third. Hopefully he's still just shaking rust off, or we could be in for a long year with him. He looked noticeably slower than almost everyone on the ice.

- Straka was invisible. NAK looked good, very noticeable. He has some good speed on the wing and isn't afraid to go to the contact areas to make a play. Liked what I saw from him.

- Vorabeast was alive and well last night. He looks a lot thinner, but it hasn't hurt his puck possession one bit. I think he really breaks out this year. It appears that he's finally all-in as a professional.

- Streit is going to run the powerplay unit very well with Giroux, but everyone already knew that. He was also very good in the his own zone, which I didn't expect so early on in the preseason.

- Jones is making a serious push for a spot on the fourth line. He was all over the place, in a good way.

- Schenn looked very good to me. He looks quicker and he certainly was more engaged than we saw him for most of last year. He could be in for a breakout season, even if he's not with Giroux and Voracek 100% of the time.

- Brett Hextall looked better than I thought he would. He's a yapper too. Not an NHL level player, but will be good for the kids in the AHL.

- Coburn looked alright. MacDonald looked good at times, and bad at others. He overhandled the puck a couple of times.

- Both goalies were meh.

That was the biggest take-away I had from the game. Was very impressed. He was everywhere. Wasn't really psyched on him when they picked him (didn't know much about him). Immediately became my favorite Flyers prospect. Now I just hope he can convince MacDonald to let him wear #47.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
That was the biggest take-away I had from the game. Was very impressed. He was everywhere. Wasn't really psyched on him when they picked him (didn't know much about him). Immediately became my favorite Flyers prospect. Now I just hope he can convince MacDonald to let him wear #47.
I wasn't all that thrilled with picking NAK either. I'm glad I was wrong. He looks good! He's pretty fast too. A few weeks ago someone was saying he isn't a fast skater. He looked pretty fast to me.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The game was pretty meh but my biggest takeaway was seeing how poised Sanheim is and how polished of a skater he is as well. I'm excited about his potential in the NHL. He is going to be a good puck moving D man...kind of reminds of Petr Svoboda as far as skating skill.

Ghost needs to polish his game all around...but offensively you can see he will do well. I like his point shot.

Hagg looked pretty good but I can see how people can accuse him of looking disinterested (lacking intensity) out there at times.

Regardless, we have a good future on D when you include Morin...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Some thoughts as a Caps fan at the game about the Flyers players last night. Granted, I was mostly focused on the Washington players.

Voracek was the best player on the ice. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

Schenn loves to expose his back along the boards at the last moment.

Jones was fiesty, but not great with the puck.

Hagg looked a little shaky, imo. Got turned around a couple times, and couldn't always separate the puck from the player.

Didn't really notice Sanheim, but that's probably a good thing. I wasn't specifically looking for him, so the fact a defensemen who plays a relatively quiet game didn't stand out means he didn't commit any egregious errors.

Wasn't impressed by Ghost, even though I usually am. Made a couple bad reads and had a bad turnover early on. Didn't look very settled in on the powerplay, either.

Coburn didn't look great, especially along the boards. That being said, that pairing did a pretty good job at keeping the all-NHL line of Fehr/Johansson/Brouwer quiet at even strength for most of the game (even though both Fehr and Brouwer cashed in on the PP).

It's not the Ice Boys' fault the Ice Girls were axed. :biglaugh:

Schenn's 12 for 19 on the dot tonight
It helps that the Capitals had both Marcus Johansson and Evgeny Kuznetsov taking draws. Neither of them are particularly good at faceoffs.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If BSchenn is above 45% on draws this year I'll be surprised. Hopefully he won't be taking many once G is fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00