GDT: PS Game #1A| Washington at FLYERS (split squad) |Mon., Sep. 22, 2014| 7:00 p.m. ET

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Could Blair Jones potentially replace Jay Rosehill as a rugged 13th forward/part time fill-in on the 4th line or is he battling Rinaldo/Bellemare/Akeson for the last regular roster spot?

I missed the game, so can anybody share his thoughts on Jones's performance? It seems he did pretty well...

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Vinny looked fine last night. He even had a nice deflection goal. But that won't stop people from making him the scapegoat for all of the team's problems this year.

Jones is big guy who can move well. He was very aggressive on the forecheck all night. He had a nice shot from the half wall that Schenn defelected for a goal, and he set up Streit for his PP goal as well. I think he got in two fights as well if I'm remembering correctly. He certainly seems like a guy that could replace Rosehill for the spot of 13th forward.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
how good or bad did vinny look?

He didn't look particularly good or particularly bad. A game like this isn't going to tell you much about veterans like him unless they're really out of shape or something. Which he wasn't.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Vinny looked fine last night. He even had a nice deflection goal. But that won't stop people from making him the scapegoat for all of the team's problems this year.

Jones is big guy who can move well. He was very aggressive on the forecheck all night. He had a nice shot from the half wall that Schenn defelected for a goal, and he set up Streit for his PP goal as well. I think he got in two fights as well if I'm remembering correctly. He certainly seems like a guy that could replace Rosehill for the spot of 13th forward.

I am far from a Vinny hater. I actually like the guy and was excited the Flyers got him. But he did look exactly the same as last season out there. The puck bounced off his stick quite a few times and looks slow when going down the ice. I actually remember at one point during the 2nd it was either Umberger or Straka who threw it cross ice to Vinny and if he settled it it would of been a great scoring chance. It hit like a rock and flew off.

I like Vinny alot honestly and really am pulling for him to turn it around because last year, before he got hurt, he looked very good. Right now he doesnt at all to me. Maybe I am biased though because I watched him during his Tampa days alittle too much (Cousins live in Florida and are pretty big Tampa fans) and expect him to be similar. At this point of his career he is a 3rd line center who can play on the 2nd PP. Such a shame though. Used to be one of my favorite players :/.

It is preseason though. Hoping its just rust.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Not being able to handle passes drives me nuts with Vinny. Yeah, he's older, he's slowing down but there's no excuse for a player of his skillset botching a pass as much as he does. The guy has to get his head out of his ass.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
God, they're up to $20?

Flyers have nothing to do with the parking by the way.

I park in jetro. It's a far walk but I can almost get 2 beers in the building for the price difference in parking. It's also not a madhouse when you leave the lot. I can get get home quicker parking at jetro and walking a bit.

On a side note, I witnessed a man pay for parking with homemade cookies last season. Hahaha

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
There is no "hate" with respect to Vinny.....the term is used too loosely when the truth is self-evident. Last night he looked the same....slow and a defensive liability. If the rink was half the size of regulation he would be an all star out there. It's early and he probably has to shake some rust off but he again I saw nothing to suggest he will turn a corner this year. Guy is going to have to have his minutes managed again..most likely. Hopefully, G can come back healthy in short order b/c I don't think Vinny can handle big minutes anymore....I hope I'm wrong b/c we need him as regular for depth purposes. Also need goals since Umberger doesn't look like he'll match what Hartnell provided as far as offense even if trading him was necessary for other reasons including cap space.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Umberger won't score 50 points but BSchenn should be able to if he plays in Hartnell's old spot on the first line and first PP unit most of the season.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm gonna hold off on judging Vinny until the season actually begins.

Yeah a lot of the roster guys in both games last night looked like they were just going through the motions.

Schenn for whatever reason was playing like it was game 7 of the SCF but the rest looked to be taking it easy. In the other game I really didn't even notice Rinaldo much & he's usually always out there flying around.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
At what stage of his development does Schenn figure out it doesn't behoove him to have his brain slammed into the glass in the corners?

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Vinny was playing well last year before the injury bug got him. I am with Beef on this. I wont rush to judgment on him right now.

I give both of you credit but I have a feeling a rush to judgement might be warranted in his case even if unfair. He won't be as bad as when Bill Guerin tried out for this team and it was painfully obvious the guy couldn't keep up with the game any longer but judging solely on last nights performance from a skating perspective he just seems to lack the wheels to play Berube's style still. Again...I hope he proves otherwise in the next few games into the season. I want him to succeed b/c we do need him to be a regular...

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Vinny is one of the laziest and softest players I've seen wear the Flyers sweater in quite some time.

If this guy was russian he'd be burned at the stake here.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
At what stage of his development does Schenn figure out it doesn't behoove him to have his brain slammed into the glass in the corners?

When the opposition stops doing it. You act as if it's his fault (some of them have been, like last night when he made that charge) but a majority of them has been him being a victim of dirty play.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Might have missed the boat on that one... now that he's had his head slammed into the glass so many times, he's lost the ability to learn how to avoid it. ;)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
When the opposition stops doing it. You act as if it's his fault (some of them have been, like last night when he made that charge) but a majority of them has been him being a victim of dirty play.

Last night he turned at the last second and went headfirst into the glass. It was all on Schenn. If he'd kept skating it would've been shoulder contact and harmless.

Might have missed the boat on that one... now that he's had his head slammed into the glass so many times, he's lost the ability to learn how to avoid it. ;)

:laugh:

That would be a vicious cycle.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The dude's body is shot out at this point, he was plenty of physical & competive in his hayday.

Do you read these boards? He gets a ton of criticism on here.

Maybe, or maybe he just doesn't give a crap anymore. He looks like he gives no effort out there at all. And believe me, I am NOT one to go out and call players lazy,etc.

Yes I read the boards... of course. But I also see quite a lot of people defending him or convinced he's going to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad