Post-Game Talk: PS #4 - 10/03/16 | RANGERS @ flyers | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I'm not mad........... Anymore lol

Mac went for the poke check and almost got it. Voracek has quite the reach and puck protection. It's a touch play one and one and in that position, many defenders would allow a shot to Voracek. It just happens to be a goal.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
You know I normally have no problem watching a team give its all, pay attention to details and reward its best players with more playing time and yet lose.

That's not what happens nowadays with this team, though. This was ugly. A lot like last season. Too much like last season.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
So wait, according to what I just read, someone is blaming McDonough's spectacular, game-ending play on Girardi?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Some thoughts ....

Buchnevich
Hasen't lit up the scoreboard in preseason or in traverse. With that said. He is dangerous offensively. In fact he so creative and quick to move the puck I don't think his linemates are use to him whic is understandable being they changed every game so far. Made some really nice passes tonight and Pirri eventually converted on one of them. Butcher almost put 2 in tonight. The first period save by Mason was world class. The save later in the 3rd when he was streaking on the right side was also top notch. Buch is going to be a factor.

Clendaning
Came back to reality tonight. This wasn't his best game for sure. 1st period weak attempt to clear ended up in a beauty of a scoring chance for Hayes and Buch. Mason made quite the save on that shot. But...Rangers got a bounce there. That had all the makings of a weak turnover resulting in a goal against. His D wasn't so hot tonight nor was his passing or his offense on the attack. He didn't seem as decisive.

Miller
This kids compete level goes up as the game goes on. Tighter the game the better he plays. Almost like he is at his best when he is mad. Early on, in the 1st Miller tries to beat every player on PP. Tries to do too much. After he took the sticking call Flyers convert. Bad mistake. He knew it was. He wanted that back. He played like he wanted it back in the 3rd. I like his moxy!

Hank
Played like a boss.

Vesey
This kid nearly took his front teeth out in his first preseason game running into the Goal post. He then gets viciously boarded in tonight's game. Welcome to the NHL kid! Start of the 2nd he's on the bench. I wanted to cheer right there. On his game...The trio might have gotten off to a slow start but they started buzzing as the game progressed. He and steps showing a glimpse of chemistry on the PP. Individually his legs were really going all night. Happy to see him net one tonight. He almost got a second on the next shift. I like the extra effort he puts into his game. He continues to remind me of Chris Drury.

On the hit...
As long as players like Gudas are in the league players like McIlrath will still have a job. Glad Big Mac was out there. There was zero hesitation. Rick Nash...Don't let anyone hold you back. I'm being sarcastic. Character is everything.

2nd period meltdown. Shouldn't have been a 5-3, glad Joe pointed it out. Vesey shouldn't have seen the box on that play. Bad calls happen. Move on. Post from Pirri and a crossbar from Nash prevent this game from being 3-3 earlier on.

Pirri
Can't in anyway see this kid not making the New York Rangers. He is just a dangerous offensive shooter. #majicstik

Graves
What a great showing for this kid. He got better as the game progressed. He moves really good for a big kid. What I like better is that his positioning and ability to fight off traffic to make a play was NHL caliber. He initiates contact in his own end. Plays with an edge. You don't have that with Clendaning. You don't have that with Holden. His release was also impressive. I didn't expect that from him.

McIlrath
I applaud you sir for showing zero hesitation in standing up for #26. There was a quick hint of "I'm a *** crazy person and you are in my crosshairs." I wish the Zebras would just let them have a go. That kind of character builds comraderie far beyond any advanced stat template.

Hayes
Strong game tonight

Stromwall and Kovacs
Little too late maybe but they looked really good tonight. Like to see them develop together in Hartford. Their speed and chemistry stood out tonight

Hrivik
Before tonight I felt he did well
Tonight was the type of performance that gets you demoted.

This is the NHL. 3 on 3 is for the pond

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
You know I normally have no problem watching a team give its all, pay attention to details and reward its best players with more playing time and yet lose.

That's not what happens nowadays with this team, though. This was ugly. A lot like last season. Too much like last season.

Rangers haven't iced an actual NHL lineup yet. Of course games are going to look gross. The positives to take away so far are that most of our previous NHL players look decent to good, and some of the closely-followed kids look alright. I'll save total total judgment once we have the real lineup going.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
@Overcast: No, you're right. I shouldn't judge at this point. Just got a bad feeling about it.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Just amazed that with the competition we've got at forward we've had this many ahlers playing every night. Run the 16 17 guys that are fighting for spots every other night Jesus AV

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
am i the only person thoroughly impressed with the game Holden played tonight?

just me? ok...nm.

Tough to follow everyone when they are so many players you want to watch in pre-season. That said, I thought he looked good in the D-zone the few times I paid him attention, and moved the puck out of the D-zone calmly. I thought he looked out of his element of the PP, but whatever. I think he's a lock to be in the starting 6.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
So wait, according to what I just read, someone is blaming McDonough's spectacular, game-ending play on Girardi?

If you're talking about me, I was responding to Inferno's comment that he thought McD's game had too much overhandling of the puck and I responded by saying he's one of the best at making decisions leading to controlled zone exits with the puck as opposed to dumping it into the neutral zone or icing it like Girardi does.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I thought he was okay 5v5 and atrocious on the PP.

decent on 5 on 5, nothing too problematic. Played well enough 5 on 5 to be on the 3rd pairing. In the offensive zone, I feel like his vision is limited and has trouble finding the open man, making the right pass and deciding when to take shots.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Some thoughts ....

Buchnevich
Hasen't lit up the scoreboard in preseason or in traverse. With that said. He is dangerous offensively. In fact he so creative and quick to move the puck I don't think his linemates are use to him whic is understandable being they changed every game so far. Made some really nice passes tonight and Pirri eventually converted on one of them. Butcher almost put 2 in tonight. The first period save by Mason was world class. The save later in the 3rd when he was streaking on the right side was also top notch. Buch is going to be a factor.

Clendaning
Came back to reality tonight. This wasn't his best game for sure. 1st period weak attempt to clear ended up in a beauty of a scoring chance for Hayes and Buch. Mason made quite the save on that shot. But...Rangers got a bounce there. That had all the makings of a weak turnover resulting in a goal against. His D wasn't so hot tonight nor was his passing or his offense on the attack. He didn't seem as decisive.

Miller
This kids compete level goes up as the game goes on. Tighter the game the better he plays. Almost like he is at his best when he is mad. Early on, in the 1st Miller tries to beat every player on PP. Tries to do too much. After he took the sticking call Flyers convert. Bad mistake. He knew it was. He wanted that back. He played like he wanted it back in the 3rd. I like his moxy!

Hank
Played like a boss.

Vesey
This kid nearly took his front teeth out in his first preseason game running into the Goal post. He then gets viciously boarded in tonight's game. Welcome to the NHL kid! Start of the 2nd he's on the bench. I wanted to cheer right there. On his game...The trio might have gotten off to a slow start but they started buzzing as the game progressed. He and steps showing a glimpse of chemistry on the PP. Individually his legs were really going all night. Happy to see him net one tonight. He almost got a second on the next shift. I like the extra effort he puts into his game. He continues to remind me of Chris Drury.

On the hit...
As long as players like Gudas are in the league players like McIlrath will still have a job. Glad Big Mac was out there. There was zero hesitation. Rick Nash...Don't let anyone hold you back. I'm being sarcastic. Character is everything.

2nd period meltdown. Shouldn't have been a 5-3, glad Joe pointed it out. Vesey shouldn't have seen the box on that play. Bad calls happen. Move on. Post from Pirri and a crossbar from Nash prevent this game from being 3-3 earlier on.

Pirri
Can't in anyway see this kid not making the New York Rangers. He is just a dangerous offensive shooter. #majicstik

Graves
What a great showing for this kid. He got better as the game progressed. He moves really good for a big kid. What I like better is that his positioning and ability to fight off traffic to make a play was NHL caliber. He initiates contact in his own end. Plays with an edge. You don't have that with Clendaning. You don't have that with Holden. His release was also impressive. I didn't expect that from him.

McIlrath
I applaud you sir for showing zero hesitation in standing up for #26. There was a quick hint of "I'm a *** crazy person and you are in my crosshairs." I wish the Zebras would just let them have a go. That kind of character builds comraderie far beyond any advanced stat template.

Hayes
Strong game tonight

Stromwall and Kovacs
Little too late maybe but they looked really good tonight. Like to see them develop together in Hartford. Their speed and chemistry stood out tonight

Hrivik
Before tonight I felt he did well
Tonight was the type of performance that gets you demoted.

This is the NHL. 3 on 3 is for the pond

Nice post, Stromwall has stood out to me for some reason, I'll be interested to see him given a chance at some point.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Does anyone here want to admit that about 3 years ago when i said you will all love Mcilrath and how there will still be a need for a guy like him I was right ?

Nash would be gone if i was GM disgusting display by a guy his size way to be a good teammate you mule.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
As dirty as Gudas is, Vesey can't be turning like that. Gotta protect yourself kid.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Does anyone here want to admit that about 3 years ago when i said you will all love Mcilrath and how there will still be a need for a guy like him I was right ?

Nash would be gone if i was GM disgusting display by a guy his size way to be a good teammate you mule.
Love McIlrath. Totally agree. Would love to see him and Graves on the regular. Also a shout out to Lion Hound. Really like your wrap up.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

Drafting McIlrath was a bad move at the draft and it continues to be as he's trying to crack the top 6 in a barren defense 6 years after he was drafted in 2010. He's a good player for our lineup now but that was a pick way too high to be spent on a stay at home defenseman in that draft. It's not even the Tarasenko vs. McIlrath sidebar either. Saying y'all want to admit I was right that he was going to be a workable defenseman is like saying y'all want to admit I was right when I said we should get the Hawaiian pizza to balance out all the meat lovers and Italian sausage people. Kind of aggressive.

McIlrath is good for us in that 3rd pairing playing 2nd pairing minutes depending on how AV does it but c'mon, it's not as if he is now a top 4 defenseman. He grabbed Gudas and tried to fight him. I don't think that's ground for any kind of "called it, eat crow" statements.

I think most people are happy now that he's turned the corner from his injuries and seems to be on track to be an NHL defenseman and nothing more than that.

Rick Nash is here to drive offense. Do you want your best offensive forward fighting Radko Gudas? I think that's the complete opposite of what a player like Nash should be doing. Risking an injury and a broken finger in a preseason game. Nash has size and speed for offense, not for being a goon. It's awful nowadays people can't see past small stature in a skill player and harps on power forwards to be fighters.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Cuts where made and Summers is still here...

That MAY be even more head scratching than Lappy still being here. Maybe...

I don't believe he is going to play another game if I am guessing right. They've kept a lot of players to continue to work with them in camp to hopefully benefit them with the experience and systems teaching.

They kept Skapski as well and I don't think he's going to see anymore ice time. So there's definitely some behind the door cuts already made as far as ice time is concerned.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Well nobody foresaw him being as a good a defenseman as he is. I have no problem with the role he plays but you still have to be able to play the game also.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Well nobody foresaw him being as a good a defenseman as he is. I have no problem with the role he plays but you still have to be able to play the game also.

Well, to be fair, for a former 10th overall 6 years after being drafted, cracking the 3rd pairing on this defense is not really "as good a defensemen as he is" worthy :laugh:

The big difference this year is he seems to have figured out how to be physical with a purpose instead of making big hits without taking the play away and leaving the burden of his absence to his defensive partner and the back-checkers. Good strength in front of the net as well.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
doesn't look like Hayes or Stepan has found their power play engine. Still going to be Zucc and Mika this year. Miller looks decent though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well, to be fair, for a former 10th overall 6 years after being drafted, cracking the 3rd pairing on this defense is not really "as good a defensemen as he is" worthy :laugh:

The big difference this year is he seems to have figured out how to be physical with a purpose instead of making big hits without taking the play away and leaving the burden of his absence to his defensive partner and the back-checkers. Good strength in front of the net as well.

I think he's better than 3rd pairing and people are lying if they thought he would be any better than a #6 goon, which he already is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille