Post-Game Talk: PS #3 - 09/22/18 | RANGERS @ islanders | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Miller makes boneheaded mistakes way more than your average player. I think he’s definitely better than namestnikov overall but he’s very careless with the puck and forces stupid plays routinely

because he has the puck way more than your average player

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Vesey has been bad for years. People gave him some time because he was a younger roster player with the Hobey Baker hype. He never regressed. He was never good. Same player he's been both years, and has looked like early this season.
I think he was just hyped up because Johnny hockey came out before him and was great and Vesey was going to be a UFA. So everyone bought into the hype and thought they’d be getting a top 6 guy for free

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think he was just hyped up because Johnny hockey came out before him and was great and Vesey was going to be a UFA. So everyone bought into the hype and thought they’d be getting a top 6 guy for free

When we signed him, I saw people compare him to Eichel because of the Hobey Baker hype. Eichel won the Hobey Baker as a freshman, Vesey won it as a senior. Big difference. But somehow winning the Hobey Baker is seen as the same accomplishment for these 2.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
When we signed him, I saw people compare him to Eichel because of the Hobey Baker hype. Eichel won the Hobey Baker as a freshman, Vesey won it as a senior. Big difference. But somehow winning the Hobey Baker is seen as the same accomplishment for these 2.

Eichel also had one of the greatest seasons for a Freshman in the NCAA ever.

.. Also Kyle Connor should have won the HB the year that Vesey won it.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I seem to remember the hype for Vesey being pretty tame...

Most people were expecting a guy who could contribute 30-40 points a season, and use his size to grind it out and wear down the opposition.
For real , people had him as a middle 6 at best. No one was projecting him to be a star.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Namestnikov strikes me as the kind of player who absolutely needs to be slotted into a strongly-defined role to be effective. The situation with him last year in Tampa was the extreme version of that... playing the defensively responsible role with two ultra-skilled players. But, I think it's likely to be true elsewhere in the lineup. When he isn't 100% clear on exactly what his role is supposed to be, he gets lost.

Hopefully we can find that for him as the year goes on, because I think he can be a good player in that scenario.

What worries me with Namestnikov is that he seems to be the type of player who easily fools someone that doesn’t really understand the game that he is better than he is, kind of like with Etem...

Hockey is still a game where the sum of a player isn’t really the sum of a few raw abilities. It’s what 22 years ago Mario basically hit the ice in no shape whatsoever to play hockey and still scored 2 pts per game when everyone else struggled to get north of even 1 pts per game. So much is about processing things around you and doing the right things.

My impression of Names has always been that he is kind of lost on the ice, skating in no mans land. So far he has just brought more of that. I don’t care at all about the talk about him not being given a fair shot. It’s one thing if you can’t score pts on a regular basis in a certain subpar environment. But Names just aren’t getting things done.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I mean, Jimmy Vesey is not really an issue. We have to cap space for this year and the next to tolerate his $2.275M and we can trade him for anything this or next deadline for just about anything. In the meantime, he'll be the scapegoat for all of our problems this year.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The reality is that this is going to be a very long year.

I know there were some that thought this team might be closer to a bubble team.

Right now, I don’t see it. I think this team finishes in the bottom 5 or 6.

if goaltending is good, we may have a chance to make the playoffs, but all indications so far are not good.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Blind Hope.

If Henrik does Henrik things, I can see them flirting with .500 until the TDL where they'll sell off some pieces and really fall of the map.

Reactions: Rongomania

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I haven’t read through this entire thread but was anyone else quietly impressed by Brandon Crawley?
Yes. He should've been closer to the shooter on the goal that was roofed.Overall the skating was good. Would've liked to see him unleash some bombs on Cizikas.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

Same... the East is going to be formidable and we just don't have what it's going to take to hang in there with the better teams. Even the mediocre ones.

At least with Quinn we'll see a different (i.e. less dull) approach to the game. Grind through this year, make another wise selection at the draft and we should be back to being competitive next season. Not sure what the UFA class will look like next season, but we'll definitely have to dip into the market to replace important pieces we'll inevitably lose this year.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Idk, I’ve had a feeling we’d be closer to a bubble team for awhile, and the games in the preseason haven’t really changed that opinion.

The defense sucks, but the offense IMO will be decent to above average and I expect good to great goaltending. I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs, but I think we’ll be closer to 9th than 14th (and honestly, I’d prefer 14th).

We’ll see. Maybe Hank has a bad year and Georgiev regresses hard.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

from your lips to gods ears. We NEED a lottery level talent injection like no one else.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018

I agree with you 100%. But having watched since I learned the game from my dad last n the mid 70’s I don’t mind sitting thru a dismal season hopefully the coach gets his system installed here and in Hartford hopefully we move assets for picks and players and we get a bottom 3 pick Ie Hughes or One of the other centers.
Finishing on the bubble is going to do nothing for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad