Post-Game Talk: PS #3 - 09/22/18 | RANGERS @ islanders | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Vesey is a borderline NHL'er at best. Total bum. He should not be anywhere near the top-9.

He will be. AV was replaced by Quinn and we will still see Vesey get top-6 minutes for days after scoring a fluke goal. We will still see Staal out there defending a lead with 1 minute to go. Book it.

Reactions: All Might

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't think everything has to fall into place perfectly for the Rangers to be better next season than they will be this season. And I would be surprised if they don't sell off some more assets for additional picks/prospects this season. This is a rebuild and they have shown they will do it the right way thus far. So there will be plenty of bumps in the road this year...but this year will be the bottom. I'm not saying next season they will be contenders...but they will be moving in the right direction. That's the time to start considering UFAs.
I agree. The team has growing to do but I don’t expect years of failure. This year probably similar to last year but then steady improvement after. I mean, it’s reasonable to think they’ve got a decent number of good NHLers in the system at this point. At the end of the day they’ll need 20 good players. (Roughly speaking. I appreciate there will be injuries, etc)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yea I’m not saying he’s a star player but I think he’s a very good middle 6’er. I think it’s in similar vain to Jimmy Vesey where he’s overhated for not being a star considering he was the roster player we got back in the McDonagh/Miller Trade, and Vesey gets overhated because of the hype that surrounded him, when they both are very good mid-bottom 6 guys

Not that I agree with this altogether but I like the counter intuitive against the grain nature of your post. To me the problem with Namestnikov so far in his time as a Ranger is he doesn't seem to be all that involved in the offense and Vesey's very inconsistent as well and when you have forwards in your top 9 who struggle with their point production you kind of start asking yourself---'What else do they do?' In the case of Vesey it's not very much and I'm kind of hoping that Namestnikov doesn't turn out kind of the same-- that he at least helps out enough with the grit and the penalty kill and is a reliable checker anyway. Though if that's all he does $4 mil per seems kind of pricey. And in Namestnikov's case I'm not really a fan of switching him out for JT. Miller might have been inconsistent and brain dead at times but IMO he looks to me like he's going to be more of a contributor on the scoresheet into the future.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think it was a mistake to move JT. Miller in the same trade as Ryan Mc, but it`s early I know and Quinn need to do some line rotations again so the team get more creative in 5 v 5 plays.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Great recap.

Howden

I wouldn’t be too harsh on Howden. He is a good player but he is a player that doesn’t really fit into the NHL of today perfectly, the game out there is just so fast and the puck is moving so fast, and it’s not surprising that he needs a little time to find ways to get involved and contribute deeper into camp. It’s not that Howden isn’t good in those areas, it’s just that the general level out there in those fields are tremendously high.

When you listen to Clarke when he describes Howden he always emphasizes attitude and physical attributes as well as Howden’s strong overall game. There is a reason for that. To make it to the NHL you always have to beat out a number of very good hockey players. In this context you must separate yourself from the competition. And when looking at the spec for a NHL job and compare Howden’s fact sheet with other guys around him he faces stiff competition.

I’ve put this sloppy before, but in the above context Howden’s usp must be that he — in relation to the competition — can provide more size, the tremendous character he has, and more of everything that you are spoon fed as a hockey player growing up in Western Canada. I am not saying that he must become a Wayne Simmonds type or any kind of old fashioned PF. But we have seen how many lines on this team have come together when not being completely without any kind of size and physical ability.

I think it’s when Howden finds ways to provide something on the NHL level that really compliments what his linemates may not have an abundance of that he can really come in and become a difference maker. With that I am referring to him more being able to do what Pouliot did for Brass and Zucc, and I am not like referring to that Howden must become Milan Lucic II.

The PK

I still hope that it can find a higher overall level when more or less two squads become one and more focus is put into it going into the season.

The natural pecking order when building a team is definitely to leave the special teams to after when you have put time into the fundamental break outs and checking schemes. And it’s also very personel driven and it takes experience, we have a young squad and when split into two it’s short on capable hands...

On being terrible

The worst I’ve ever seen this team is the what, first 2-3 weeks of the regular season under AV. Right? It felt like we would lose every game 8-0.

Being terrible isn’t necessarily a bad thing for this organization and it could certainly be in the cards for this year. Quinn is trying to install some very interesting things to this organization though, I hope that he continues to do just that even if the results are really terrible early. Because no matter if your ideas are good or bad — every change to a NHL team takes TIME to implement. It’s not a matter of weeks or months to install a way to play, you have a shorter period where you obviously just inform the players what to do. But then you will improve in areas the more time you put into it. And in this context we are talking about years.

Shatty

I liked Shatty’s jump out there and that is more important for me than him losing some pucks in his first game in what 3/4 of a year.

The key for Shatty is to be able to maintain that jump over the entire season and not lose a step when you start to get the bruises and wears and tears during the toughest periods of the season.

On the PK there's a kind of shortage of known entities on our penalty kill both forward and defense and in preseason we've been picked apart in every single game on the penalty kill. True that we've yet to play anything resembling a full squad but IMO the PK is just as important as the power play. In the past the Rangers have at times used Zibanejad and Zuccarello but they've never overdone it with those two because they depend on lot on those two to drive the offense. Other forwards we've almost never seen---Kreider, Buchnevich, Vesey on rare occasions. Spooner I don't believe has done a lot if any in Boston. Which leaves us pretty much with Hayes, Fast and Namestnikov at forward and whoever else. On defense most everyone has to do it though some like Shattenkirk and DeAngelo have been sheltered. It will be interesting to see what happens but the Rangers can't afford to give up two/three power play goals on a nightly basis.

Reactions: Ola

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hajek looked much more comfortable in this game. Surprise he was playing with a stay-at-home guy like McQuaid?

I really liked Crawley’s game. Physical and can skate.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
I lurk 99% of the time and I know that this has probably been said, but I thought Vesey was one of the worst players on the ice last night.

He singe handedly killed every play in the 1st and 2nd period. He looked a little better in the 3rd, but I don't know how he makes this team. I think Beleskey and some of the other players fighting for the last spot have looked much better

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes I agree @BroadwayHustle. Personally I think Meskannen had a better pre season so far compare to Vesey, because he really struggle in this new system and he has not improved over the summer. I hope you post more here some good evaluation content for sure.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I'm really excited about Hajek... haven't seen a ton of him, but every indication so far is that there isn't going to be a done of adjustment with him similar to how seamless McDonagh and Skjei's transitions were. He does almost seem like a hybrid of those two, but with a heavier and more dangerous shot. Best case scenario is that we traded a war-torn McDonagh for a younger similarly promising version of himself

darko

Feb 16, 2009
We could go full tank and move pieces now and send both Chytil & Lias to AHL to save a year just to aim for that #1 draft pick next summer, but it will not be entertaining to watch at all.

We could but we won't. Rightfully so.

Reactions: Fvital92 and Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah true @darko I hope not - we need to have a team out there for this season since we have Skjei and other players as well, and I`m positive that both Chytil & Lias will get a top 9 role this season which might end up in a top 6 role near end of this year.

Reactions: darko

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It me, reading all these Vesey takes:

giphy.gif

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Chytil was electric. Had a game similar to what Kravtsov has been having in the khl recently. Amazing play but not rewarded for a lot of it. I’ll take that over a mediocre game where he gets some lucky points any day. Keep playing like that and the points will come for sure.

I think Chytil and Lias are probabaly ready and Hajek and Howden need a little more seasoning. Both may be able to come up late this year after the deadline.

Holland oddly had some really good shifts which was very unexpected.

Reactions: Ola

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Chytil is going to be a superstar. I was impressed with how strong he is on the boards on the forecheck, nobody can take the puck away from him. he drives to the net without any fear and creates scoring chances from nothing. i did not expect him to look this good, he flat out dominated parts of the game last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad