Post-Game Talk: PS #3 - 09/22/18 | RANGERS @ islanders | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm going to let the roster shake out before I start projecting where this team finishes. A hot start could mean the team is in bubble territory by the time the trade deadline rolls around. At least there's another strong top-end of the draft this year after Hughes.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm going to let the roster shake out before I start projecting where this team finishes. A hot start could mean the team is in bubble territory by the time the trade deadline rolls around. At least there's another strong top-end of the draft this year after Hughes.

If we miss out on Hughes, I would love to get Kakko or Podkolzin.

Reactions: Trxjw

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think the offense will be there some nights, but overall inconsistent.

I can envision a scenario in which certain guys light up weaker competition and have spurts where they look great, only to go 10 games without a goal.

The defense will probably move the puck at a decent rate, but I think it's going to be a rough year for them.

I think our goalies will make a lot of saves, but ultimately face a lot of shots as well. Lundqvist could post a save percentage of 92, and still end up with a goals against average hovering around 3.

I'm going to predict that they're sitting around 8 from the bottom at the TDL and then finish up 3-5 after the next round of trades.

Reactions: egelband and jas

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If Quinn is a brainiac, having Heatl and Zuke together, there's just no f'n way they will finish in the last8:cool:

We finished in the last 8 a year ago...and that was after we moved most of our marquee players at the deadline. Yes, we might have Chytil, Andersson, and Shattenkirk for full seasons...but that hardly makes up for losing McDonagh, Nash and Grabner. And that's before they deal off more assets during the season. I would be surprised if this team is not picking in 4 to 8 range next June.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
we are going to be a very bad team, but we will definitely be fun to watch which is all you can ask for
I don't know how you can be so certain of that. Hockey is very tough to predict because of the emotion involved. That's the one thing hockey has that other sports lack. Emotion can really propel teams to be a lot better than they are on paper. Especially during the regular season.

Edited to add: I don't know how a losing team can be fun to watch. I don't understand the mentality of wanting to see your team lose.

Reactions: Placid and egelband

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For real , people had him as a middle 6 at best. No one was projecting him to be a star.

Look over some of the threads at the time of the time of the acquisition. There were some who thought he was a first liner, most others thought second liners, and a couple who thought third line. There was never any discussion that he'd be a 13F type of player.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know how you can be so certain of that. Hockey is very tough to predict because of the emotion involved. That's the one thing hockey has that other sports lack. Emotion can really propel teams to be a lot better than they are on paper. Especially during the regular season.

Edited to add: I don't know how a losing team can be fun to watch. I don't understand the mentality of wanting to see your team lose.

You're right that there is no way to be certain about things one way or the other, but it'd be straight up dishonest to ignore all of the signs that would lead one to believe that this team is not going to be very good.

Emotion may tilt the odds in your favor if all things are equal, but the teams with the best collection of talent usually win, at least in the regular season.

Who was the last team to succeed on emotion alone?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The reality is that this is going to be a very long year.

I know there were some that thought this team might be closer to a bubble team.

Right now, I don’t see it. I think this team finishes in the bottom 5 or 6.
I still see them more in the bottom 7 to 9 range personally.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
This may be a long season and odds are this team will be on the outside looking in but there is no guarantee of that. Did anybody on this board expect the devils or Colorado to make the playoffs last year? Did anybody expect Vegas to make it to the finals? I'm not going to make definitive statements about where they are going to finish after 3 preseason games with a new coach and new systems. I expect them to play hard, be competitive, and develop the young guys.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This may be a long season and odds are this team will be on the outside looking in but there is no guarantee of that. Did anybody on this board expect the devils or Colorado to make the playoffs last year? Did anybody expect Vegas to make it to the finals? I'm not going to make definitive statements about where they are going to finish after 3 preseason games with a new coach and new systems. I expect them to play hard, be competitive, and develop the young guys.

Devils and Colorado had guys who finished 1 and 2 in the hart trophy voting. Both Taylor Hall and Nathan Mackinnon had 90+ point seasons, Colorado also had Rantanen and Barrie at almost a PPG. While not expected (and the Devils are due for a pretty drastic drop off) no one should be surprised that Hall and Mackinnon posted the types of seasons that they did, they both went 1OA for a reason.

We don't have anyone on this roster capable of doing that.

Vegas had a half dozen players post career years. I think the likely hood of that happening here is even less likely than having one of our forwards have an MVP type season.

Teams that surprise have players that surprise, big time. We can use our very own Rangers as an example, they got into the playoffs right after the lockout when no one expected them to because Jagr basically broke every franchise record.

Take Jagr off that team and they don't sniff the playoffs.

I get your point on not making definitive statements, but using those teams as your examples is such a poor argument.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Devils and Colorado had guys who finished 1 and 2 in the hart trophy voting. Both Taylor Hall and Nathan Mackinnon had 90+ point seasons, Colorado also had Rantanen and Barrie at almost a PPG. While not expected (and the Devils are due for a pretty drastic drop off) no one should be surprised that Hall and Mackinnon posted the types of seasons that they did, they both went 1OA for a reason.

We don't have anyone on this roster capable of doing that.

Vegas had a half dozen players post career years. I think the likely hood of that happening here is even less likely than having one of our forwards have an MVP type season.

Teams that surprise have players that surprise, big time. We can use our very own Rangers as an example, they got into the playoffs right after the lockout when no one expected them to because Jagr basically broke every franchise record.

Take Jagr off that team and they don't sniff the playoffs.

I get your point on not making definitive statements, but using those teams as your examples is such a poor argument.

I don't think using the above teams was a poor argument at all. None of those teams were expected to do anyrhing just like the rangers. The Devils and Colorado did not make playoffs the previous year and were not expected to make it last year as well by any of the pundits. Colorado had the least points in the league and were an absolute train wreck and turned it around big time. Did you expect Mackinnon or Hall to actually have 90+ point season? Nobody had the expansion Vegas Knights to sniff the playoffs let alone make it to the finals. Did you have any idea that half the team would have career years? How do we know how Chytl, Anderson, ADA, and others are going to play? Maybe Kreider or Zibs or Buch have a breakout year? Maybe we surprise some people? Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad