Proposal: Provorov to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012
He was the Flyers #1, played top minutes, put up 40+ points without 1st unit PP time, was +17 on a mediocre team, tied for the league lead in d-man goal scoring, and carried around a partner who is below average defensively helping him to a career year.

Them's the facts, whether that fits your ridiculous narrative or not.
I agree with you but I think you are severely underrating Ghost. Ghost fell to the same bad treatment as Provorov with the bad coaching. Ghost was actually better than Provorov was last year but overall they were a really good first pairing together. Provorov was definitely not burdened by playing with Ghost. Provorov's best stats have been when he was paired WITH Ghost.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Something around DeBrusk and Carlo/extended Krug for Provorov and Laughton seems fair.

No offense Philly fans, but I think McAvoy is the better player. Kid was unbelievable in the playoffs.

Not to mention, should Provorov become available because of contract reasons, Philly won’t be getting a premium return... ala Trouba

Not disagreeing that McAvoy is better than Provorov, but if you swapped them straight up 6 months ago I think Boston still goes to the finals. Provorov has been paired with such crap in Philly. He was very good with Gostisbehere on a bad team with bad goaltending.

Either way Boston isn't trading McAvoy after that playoff performance for anything short of a huge overpayment, and Philly isn't the team for that move right now.

Reactions: wintersej

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
People saying Prov is better then McAvoy are insane. If you want to see examples of the true opinions Philly fans have of Prov look at the many GDT trashing him this year. I've argued with many of their fans about Werenski being the better player so I look at their GDTs quite often to see how he is doing and it never failed that almost every game they would talk about how poor his performance was and there was like a 10 game stretch where he was called a dumpster fire and complete garbage and I saw multiple fans basically saying they picked the wrong player.

McAvoy is probably the 3rd best D under 25 maybe even like 27 behind Jones and Werenski. Dahlin might be there pushing him to 4 but I dont judge rookies on 1 season alone.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, you start with he was a great #1 and it’s false. The rest falls apart from there.
He was prior to last year. That's where your own argument keeps falling apart. You seem to be arguing from the idea that last year is the normal for him and the year prior was the outlier, when in fact his track record so far suggests the opposite. Believe me, I'd much prefer it if we got Last Year's Provorov more often; it'd make the division less hellish. But that's rather unlikely at this juncture.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
People saying Prov is better then McAvoy are insane. If you want to see examples of the true opinions Philly fans have of Prov look at the many GDT trashing him this year. I've argued with many of their fans about Werenski being the better player so I look at their GDTs quite often to see how he is doing and it never failed that almost every game they would talk about how poor his performance was and there was like a 10 game stretch where he was called a dumpster fire and complete garbage and I saw multiple fans basically saying they picked the wrong player.

McAvoy is probably the 3rd best D under 25 maybe even like 27 behind Jones and Werenski. Dahlin might be there pushing him to 4 but I dont judge rookies on 1 season alone.

Yweah, because he had a bad year, as has been stated multiple times in this thread. We all recognize that. But the year before, it wasnt close.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
He was prior to last year. That's where your own argument keeps falling apart. You seem to be arguing from the idea that last year is the normal for him and the year prior was the outlier, when in fact his track record so far suggests the opposite. Believe me, I'd much prefer it if we got Last Year's Provorov more often; it'd make the division less hellish. But that's rather unlikely at this juncture.
So even in his best year so far he's playing more I his own end than the offensive zone and he's are real #1? GTFO. Hes been put above his head from the start.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
It doesnt fall apart when you look at the facts. The fact is he played more in his own end than the offensive zone. The numbers support that.

This so called track record you talk about is a total of 3 years total. And every year hes been played over his head. Get a grip.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So even in his best year so far he's playing more I his own end than the offensive zone and he's are real #1? GTFO. Hes been put above his head from the start.
It doesnt fall apart when you look at the facts. The fact is he played more in his own end than the offensive zone. The numbers support that.
You seem to be under the misapprehension that this particular cherry-picked stat means he's deficient as a defenseman. When you're the only one carrying a team that's got transition issues to begin with, your zone times aren't going to look all that great. I wouldn't put him alongside McAvoy myself - not yet, anyways - but that doesn't suddenly make him "second pairing quality".

This so called track record you talk about is a total of 3 years total. And every year hes been played over his head. Get a grip.
He's been somewhat thrown to the wolves, but that doesn't make him bad.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You seem to be under the misapprehension that this particular cherry-picked stat means he's deficient as a defenseman. When you're the only one carrying a team that's got transition issues to begin with, your zone times aren't going to look all that great. I wouldn't put him alongside McAvoy myself - not yet, anyways - but that doesn't suddenly make him "second pairing quality".

He's been somewhat thrown to the wolves, but that doesn't make him bad.

Hey, hey. I dont appreciate you watching the games to understand why Provorovs stats look poor. We dont need any of that. His 'xgasirtysw%' tells me hes a crappy player, and that's all there is to it, alright?

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

So you stat watch and don't actually watch hockey. Got it. If you actually watched the Flyers, you would realize that in 2016-17 and 2017-18 he was a #1 defensemen.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
So you stat watch and don't actually watch hockey. Got it. If you actually watched the Flyers, you would realize that in 2016-17 and 2017-18 he was a #1 defensemen.
Lol the cry of the fan boy who can’t find stats to back up what they want to believe. I apologize for adding stats and facts to the conversation.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The OP is a non starter. The Flyers aren’t trading Provy for Krug just like the Bruins aren’t trading McAvoy for Gostisbehere.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Lol the cry of the fan boy who can’t find stats to back up what they want to believe. I apologize for adding stats and facts to the conversation.

Buddy, you are picking on that he was underwater possession wise on a (surprisingly) bad team. Its one stat. Anze Kopitar finished with a 46% corsi last season. He was on a bad team. So was Provorov. McAvoy is better. Provorov has a better shot and has some more size, but McAvoy is better at every other major aspect of the game. But, you don't have to make your point by pointing to one number while ignoring context.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Lol the cry of the fan boy who can’t find stats to back up what they want to believe.
Ideally, when one looks for for stats, one should be trying to look for an overall objective picture of the situation, rather than just looking for stats that "back up what they want to believe". Just an FYI.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

How about the fact that he scored 17 goals and had 41 points last year. How about the fact that he's been on Philadelphia's top pairing since he jumped into the NHL. How about the fact that he's averaged 23:45 in ice time since he made the transition to the NHL. How about the fact that he's started 54% of his time on the ice in the defensive zone. How about the fact that he was 6th in TOI last season and not a single one of the other defensemen started within 3% of the time that he started in the defensive zone.

You do realize that you are the ONLY one arguing that Provorov isn't a #1. It should tell you something right there.

Reactions: Larry44

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

I wouldn't ever ask our own fans for reasonable opinions about our players. We're somehow bitching about this offseason where the team made fairly significant improvements without sacrificing any of the kids.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Not a bad proposal at all. Still think Philadelphia says no. But those are some good pieces going back to the Flyers.

You don't have any idea what you're talking about.

If this deal was actually proposed in the NHL, instead of some message board, Philly definitely says no, and the relationship between these two teams is forever tarnished as it's evidenced that the Bruins don't have the mental capacity to judge talent and make a respectable offer.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

Considering Provorov is clearly better than Werenski and you put Werenski above McAvoy then call people insane for putting Provorov above McAvoy, I think you may be a little confused. In fact your order is completely reversed.

Provorov > McAvoy > Werenski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad