Rumor: Provorov looking for $10M per season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Greed is gonna destroy this league one day, like everything else that is in its path. (even if the rumors are untrue, this still applies, you greedy bastards)
I disagree. I swear the whole setup is made to demonize players. Either the players get the cash or the owners do. There's no sense calling either side greedy. Player salaries are supposed to go up.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
I disagree. I swear the whole setup is made to demonize players. Either the players get the cash or the owners do. There's no sense calling either side greedy. Player salaries are supposed to go up.
You can view my posting as a parable for the (sports)world we live in, if that suits you better.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Greed is gonna destroy this league one day, like everything else that is in its path. (even if the rumors are untrue, this still applies, you greedy bastards)
Meaningful and contested contract negotiations are good for the league. (Especially since there is a hard cap so it does not actually affect the profitability of the league at all.) It keeps news coming out year round, and gives people something to be excited about and engaged by even when no games are going on.

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA

Both sides are greedy. The asking price by Provorov's camp goes beyond this and into either a ridiculous negotiation strategy or delusion of their client. They also most likely had to get the okay from Provorov, which raises concerns about his ego and potential locker room issues.

I'm just curious what valid arguments the Provorov camp has to justify their client earning a similar salary to:

Tavares
Price
Mathews
McDavid
Karlsson
Toews
Kane

And MORE than:
Ovechkin
Crosby
Malkin
Kucherov
Couture
Burns
Tarasenko
Stamkos

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The 33rd best defenseman in the league isn’t going to get paid $5.5M today though. Trouba sure as hell isn’t a top-5 defenseman, but he has the 5th highest cap hit among defensemen, and he signed as an RFA.
But Trouba was pretty much in the same position bargaining wise as a UFA. He had 1 year left without a contract and was on his way to an arbitration hearing for that last season.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Oilers played Nurse close to 24min\night and he scored over 40pts last season. Doesn't make him a 8M player.
Trouba comparison isn't that great either considering the number of UFA years his deal burns vs the number of UFA years Provorov's would burn.
Say what ?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Both sides are greedy. The asking price by Provorov's camp goes beyond this and into either a ridiculous negotiation strategy or delusion of their client. They also most likely had to get the okay from Provorov, which raises concerns about his ego and potential locker room issues.

I'm just curious what valid arguments the Provorov camp has to justify their client earning a similar salary to:

Tavares
Price
Mathews
McDavid
Karlsson
Toews
Kane

And MORE than:
Ovechkin
Crosby
Malkin
Kucherov
Couture
Burns
Tarasenko
Stamkos
I can see that, and that even with cap growth into account, Provorov is asking too much.

But remember we are getting a sliver of the truth here. Maybe this is a negotiation tactic. And maybe Philly is making an equally greedy offer by offering too little, and this is Provorov's agent's way of asserting himself.

Or maybe Provorov really, really doesn't want an 8 year deal, and maybe Philly is insisting that any UFA years don't have a NMC

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I can see that, and that even with cap growth into account, Provorov is asking too much.

But remember we are getting a sliver of the truth here. Maybe this is a negotiation tactic. And maybe Philly is making an equally greedy offer by offering too little, and this is Provorov's agent's way of asserting himself.

Or maybe Provorov really, really doesn't want an 8 year deal, and maybe Philly is insisting that any UFA years don't have a NMC

By all accounts, every local writer had indicated that Provorov is the one who wants a long term deal here. Its extremely unlikely this is a "we dont want a long term deal" kinda thing. The rumor is, Provorov feels as though not commiting to him long term is a disrespect in the sense as though he hasnt proven himself to be what he thinks he is (and what most of us think he will be, someday). If he didnt shit the bed hard last season, he may have a leg to stand on.

All that being said (and this is in no way directed towards you), this thread has, at the very least, help to identify the people who dont know the first think about how real life negotiations work. I'd imagine most people laughing at the 10m 'ask' are the same people who take a job with the original salary offer with the thinking of "Well, i guess thats the best they can do!".

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA

Yeah, you're right we are only getting a sliver of the truth. But if this is truth, it's still absolutely ridiculous and must be fueled by either what I stated, either delusion or ridiculous negotiation tactic. But yeah, maybe Philly offered a just as ridiculous low ball.

Either way though, this fact (if it is a fact) doesn't look good for either team or player.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Simmer down, boys. The only team on this side of the pond that can "afford" to pay Provorov $10,000,000 USD is Ottawa. The league-wide RFA Mexican standoff will end up being a bust. There is simply not anywhere near enough money available to pay these guys their asking price. Ivan can get his ~7 million in a Flyers, SKA, or CSKA uniform, there is no other option.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Lol he did it once and has publicly expressed regret for it
Once ? The bridge was a great deal and that 9.5 he signed after being 2nd or 3rd in points and ppg
for the bridge years

before signing (so it doesn't even include his Ross and hart ) .

He's in a 4 way tie for 15th highest player in the league he gave Tampa a deal both times.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012

Tavares
Price
Mathews
McDavid
Karlsson
Toews
Kane

And MORE than:
Ovechkin
Crosby
Malkin
Kucherov
Couture
Burns
Tarasenko
Stamkos
They will start with the fact that contracts are rising each year, and teams are learning that paying for guys based on what they have done is not as smart as paying a guy for what they think he will do. The real losers are the middle 6 veteran players who were looking for a pay day and probably wont get it (thanks to the 2016 UFA class and their great performance thus far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille