Rumor: Provorov looking for $10M per season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
This cant be serious
I don’t think it’s entirely serious. This guy is a beat reporter for the Columbus Blue Jackets with media badges.. ... ... how he found out about information ‘not leaked from the flyers or Provorov’s camp’ (stated in a tweet posted after the one in OP) is weird to me. Provorov’s agent doesn’t serve ANYONE on the blue jackets so the information must’ve been told down the line.

If so, the 4.1 minimum difference in ask from Werenski and Provorov should get Werenski’s agent fired considering Werenski has the best agent in the NHL that negotiated Tavares, Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Crosby, and Girouxs contracts.

Not only that- he also serves Duchene, MacKinnon, Jones, Wenneberg, and Luc-Dubois. Tons of CBJ connections.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He is not comparable to Ekblad and shouldn't get more than 6M per.
Six per is too low the other way long term imo. If the flyers want him for eight years meet in the middle at 8X8 and be done with it.

If they are unsure after last season go shorter term and maybe you can get him at 6 for 2 or 3 years

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My grandfather used to always say to me that it doesn't hurt to want.:laugh:

He needed a lot more consistency in his game to this point to get that. He can be a wonderful player but he and his representatives need to realize he hasn't been that caliber or player night in and night out in my opinion.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
12.5M easily.

Lidström earned 7.5M with those 45-55 M caps, why not Dahlin earning +15M with +90 million caps?

Salary structure around the league is much different now than it was then. Contracts taking up at least 14% of the cap were very common and contracts taking up 17% of the cap were not unheard of.

Look at this post:

Speculation: - Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 10

Lidstrom in particular was also far more qualified than Dahlin, and every year that he signed away was a UFA year. Comparably, at least half of Dahlin’s next contract will be paying for RFA years.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I remember when Drai at 8.5 was mercilessly called one of the worst contracts in the league (albeit this mostly came from Leafs fans pre-Matthews’ contract).

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I remember when Drai at 8.5 was mercilessly called one of the worst contracts in the league (albeit this mostly came from Leafs fans pre-Matthews’ contract).

That contract is what started all the 2nd contract inflation. It is a good deal for the Oilers but it set a new bar for players coming out of their entry level deals.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Subban got the equivalent of a $3.64 mil AAV and he's the historical ceiling on the 2 year bridge coming out of entry level.

Looking at an aggressive, cap-inflation adjusted scale with historical contracts in range:

$3.5 mil x 2 (Subban)
$4.25 mil x 3 (Trouba Derived)

$6 mil x 5 (Parayko)
$6.75 mil x 6 (Ekman-Larsson)

$8.25 mil x 8 (Ekblad)

If Provorov finds himself somewhere in that scale, he will have done well for himself. $5 mil+ on a 2 year breaks the system.

Reactions: hn777

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It would make me feel a little bit better about Doughty's contract but still not that much
Why would the doughty contract bother you ? The top dmen where gonna get paid eventually and he has been a top dman forever plus he got some of that you won us a couple cups extra aav bonus. (Plus it's not like the kings have anyone better to pay )

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don’t think it’s entirely serious. This guy is a beat reporter for the Columbus Blue Jackets with media badges.. ... ... how he found out about information ‘not leaked from the flyers or Provorov’s camp’ (stated in a tweet posted after the one in OP) is weird to me. Provorov’s agent doesn’t serve ANYONE on the blue jackets so the information must’ve been told down the line.

If so, the 4.1 minimum difference in ask from Werenski and Provorov should get Werenski’s agent fired considering Werenski has the best agent in the NHL that negotiated Tavares, Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Crosby, and Girouxs contracts.

Not only that- he also serves Duchene, MacKinnon, Jones, Wenneberg, and Luc-Dubois. Tons of CBJ connections.

So you think a beat reporter would sacrifice his reputation and post a not-serious story about another team's player? That's a strange take.

(I've spent time in the CBJ press box as a member of the media btw)

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
So you think a beat reporter would sacrifice his reputation and post a not-serious story about another team's player? That's a strange take.

(I've spent time in the CBJ press box as a member of the media btw)
It’s not necessarily something that would hurt your credentials or reputation.

It’s just really weird. You can’t look at what the OP posted and not question it. Hell, no Philly beats touched in this and some know the agents personally. Not like they would give a ton of info out, but it’s an odd comparison to make.

By serious, it’s more or less ‘he’s looking for’, no, he probably just said, start at 10, and wanted to drive the price up.

Given who this ‘beat reporter’ is, his tweet has 0 substance that should be taken seriously. It’s odd, in my opinion, that a mod would start this thread. Although, this is peak HF offseason so this will keep the traffic coming back, lol.

Congrats on being part of the media for CBJ, I guess. I don’t mean that sarcastically, however, my view of the media (given I’m only exposed to PIT, PHI, NJ, and NYR- since I ‘live’ in all 3 areas) is really what they write about and it’s hard to give them a listen or even read their articles.

Reactions: Starat327

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Subban got the equivalent of a $3.64 mil AAV and he's the historical ceiling on the 2 year bridge coming out of entry level.

Looking at an aggressive, cap-inflation adjusted scale with historical contracts in range:

$3.5 mil x 2 (Subban)
$4.25 mil x 3 (Trouba Derived)

$6 mil x 5 (Parayko)
$6.75 mil x 6 (Ekman-Larsson)

$8.25 mil x 8 (Ekblad)

If Provorov finds himself somewhere in that scale, he will have done well for himself. $5 mil+ on a 2 year breaks the system.

Man that subban deal was bad for Montreal . Should have just caved and given him 6 or whatever it would take to give him term instead of bridging an obviously good dman and then making him the highest paid dman for the next 5 ? Years after that.

I know that's not your point but bridges can burn you so bad .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad