Prospects Development Camp

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Columbus needs the attention and awareness to build their fan base, Canucks have too much of it. It's a wise move keeping these kids out of the spotlight because it isn't a comfortable position to be in. In fact, some players prefer not to play here because of the media frenzy.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Columbus needs the attention and awareness to build their fan base, Canucks have too much of it. It's a wise move keeping these kids out of the spotlight because it isn't a comfortable position to be in. In fact, some players prefer not to play here because of the media frenzy.

Does buffalo? Does Edmonton? Does Toronto?

The least they can do is provide more content.

These are 18 year old + guys. They aren't 12 year olds.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Hopefully none of them ever have to go through the pressure and exposure of a WJC, or Mem Cup, our God forbid a Stanley Cup winning run.

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Soooo, how was it?? Who looked good out there?? And what was the final score?

I can't tell you the final score - I wasn't keeping track and it wasn't displayed on the scoreboard.

Brock Boeser was the standout, definitely. He and Jared McCann displayed their highly-touted shots. Boeser's release on his goal was sublime.

I liked Dmitry Zhukenov's compete level. Was not afraid to mix it up with big Mackenze Stewart - they engaged in a pretty good scrum at one point.

I was not impressed by the 6'9 goalie.

One more thing: I had a brief conversation with Jim Benning after the 3v3. For what it's worth, his favourites were Boeser and McCann.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I can't tell you the final score - I wasn't keeping track and it wasn't displayed on the scoreboard.

Brock Boeser was the standout, definitely. He and Jared McCann displayed their highly-touted shots. Boeser's release on his goal was sublime.

I liked Dmitry Zhukenov's compete level. Was not afraid to mix it up with big Mackenze Stewart - they engaged in a pretty good scrum at one point.

One more thing: I had a brief conversation with Jim Benning after the 3v3. For what it's worth, his favourites were Boeser and McCann.

I'm not a fan of Benning's recent moves, and I'm not suggesting this offsets anything, but it does bring a smile to my face thinking of our GM sharing that response with a fan (and imagining Gillis in the same position).

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver

Thanks Zombo! Hopefully Canucks put out a video of it...

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
If you judge Benning solely on his drafting alone it is an excellent if not supreme job.

Contracts all expire in 3 years, let's just judge the product on the ice.

McCann and Virtanen and boeser can all score, it's basically the trademark

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon
If you judge Benning solely on his drafting alone it is an excellent if not supreme job.

Contracts all expire in 3 years, let's just judge the product on the ice.

McCann and Virtanen and boeser can all score, it's basically the trademark

Umm little early to be calling him supreme - most drafts look good this early, lets give it sometime to see where his drafts actually rank?

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
It would have been loads of fun to join in on the BBQ dinner with players and team staff, but $$$$$$$

($100)

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Went and checked out the 3 on 3

Boeser - stood out, pretty much comes as advertised. Good shot and gets in good spots to shoot, drove the bet a couple times.

McCann - looked bigger then i expected. Good shot, good speed. With the right off season he could make waves in main camp

Brisebois - Thought he was the most intresting DMan, liked his skating and stick work. Has the right tools to make it at some lvl as a pro

Those three stood out to me

Stormblessed

Jul 4, 2009
Victoria
All said and told the players with the biggest swing to me were Subban negatively and Mckenzie Stewart, I sat with him through the bbq and this kid is a class act, great head on his shoulders and according to Jackson Whistle Stewart has the hardest shot in camp.

Also sat with the psychologist and team doctor and they both said "without doubt Stewart is the toughest kid in the Western hockey league". I certainly wasn't sold on him tonight as mirrored by my earlier comments but this guy I am absolutely pulling for and now think is alot less of a long shot than I thought when I woke up this morning. Brought all of his own food to the camp as well as he is on a very strict diet and does not drink alcohol at all. All said and told it was quite an informative dinner. Well worth the trip.

Stormblessed

Jul 4, 2009
Victoria
Linden also mentioned in Q and A that he was looking for someone that could "manage the cba well" as an assistant gm. And Benning told my dad that the plan was to return next year to Shawnigan as well, as they were blown away by the venue

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
All said and told the players with the biggest swing to me were Subban negatively and Mckenzie Stewart, I sat with him through the bbq and this kid is a class act, great head on his shoulders and according to Jackson Whistle Stewart has the hardest shot in camp. Also sat with the psychologist and team doctor and they both said without doubt Stewart is the toughest kid in the Western hockey league. I certainly wasn't sold on him tonight as mirrored by my earlier comments but this guy I am absolutely pulling for and now think is alot less of a long shot than I thought when I woke up this morning. Brought all of his own food to the camp as well as he is on a very strict diet and does not drink alcohol at all. All said and told it was quite an informative dinner. Well worth the trip.

Awesome to hear.

And Benning told my dad that the plan was to return next year to Shawnigan as well, as they were blown away by the venue

Even better. The Shawnigan School campus is really impressive.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Hopefully none of them ever have to go through the pressure and exposure of a WJC, or Mem Cup, our God forbid a Stanley Cup winning run.
:laugh: Exactly.

If they can't handle the pressure of a few avid canuck fans in the summer, get them the F out of the organization. This isn't a market nor a sport where you can be that thin-skinned to let a little criticism at a summer camp get to you. And its not like fans are heckling them from the stands. Every one i've been to has had very courteous fans.

Since i started posting here, we have been clamoring for more coverage of this event, which IMO could be monetized or at least self-funded with the proper advertisement. I think you could go back to every development camp thread and find me/others advocating for more coverage/open-ness. IMO, It seems to get smaller/less every year since 2013. We went from a Joey Kenward hosted event, fully streamed and narrated scrimmage and open on ice sessions at Rogers to UBC/Shawinigan Lake camps at very small community rinks with sparse coverage with no stream.

In that fan captured video, they said it was maybe the largest turnout ever in development camp history. Wrong. They must be forgetting the time when they opened up Rogers, advertised the event and several lower bowl sections were open and had a lot more people. For a team advocating for the future with our young guys, they sure are limiting the amount of exposure of this future from us fans. I think this could be a great event (if they wanted) that would generate a lot more interest/optimism from fans during a time (the summer) when there isn't a lot of that.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

It's much different exposure from junior press coverage as opposed to local press centered around one team. Juniors usually have one prospect that grabs all the attention and usually only amplify the positives. Our press and fans love to excoriate players.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I don't want to derail the entire thread to complain about Stewart signing.

Back on topic. How did Hutton look? I'm very excited about him. Reminds me very much of Edler.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
I don't want to derail the entire thread to complain about Stewart signing.

Back on topic. How did Hutton look? I'm very excited about him. Reminds me very much of Edler.

Hutton looked good, like he has done this before. Noticed his size skating was good, stayed involed

I said it early that Brisebois was who i noticed most out the Dmen, kid can just skate, good stick work seemed to win every stick battle, was good at separating players from the puck. Add that he is 17 we have some thing with him

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hutton looked good, like he has done this before. Noticed his size skating was good, stayed involed

I said it early that Brisebois was who i noticed most out the Dmen, kid can just skate, good stick work seemed to win every stick battle, was good at separating players from the puck. Add that he is 17 we have some thing with him
Hoping he can be our next Tanev. Get a good vibe.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Not surprised to hear that Boeser and Brisebois have been impressive so far.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015

Ah thanks for the reply! Good to hear!

I wish they would just stream camp :(

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Jasek, was looking to watch him, but i dont have alot to say real good skater i noticed he struggled with puck control the hole time. Looked really thin.

Zhukenov, crafty kid likes to be around the puck, fell down more then others. Going to the Q is the right choice. Will be intresting to watch his next year to try to get a reading on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad