Prospects Development Camp

arsmaster*

Players essentially get the same thing from the WHL, though.

For each year a player plays in the WHL, the league pays for a year of post-secondary education at the school of their choice. So for most guys who play 4-5 years, they get a 4 year degree paid for if they don't go pro.

Pretty much every WHL player either goes on to a long professional hockey career or continues on in Canadian University to get a degree.

Yup. CIS hockey is pretty much full of guys who played major junior. Lots of guys don't even play their overage year to go to cis.

Reid Gow was playing CIS this year and finished the season with Brandon.

------

The thing I don't like about the NCAA is they're too restrictive. A kid plays one exhibition game as a 15 year old with a WHL team and he loses any NCAA eligibility.

I'd like to see them loosen that rule.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Wow, I just saw that prospects camp highlight package. Shades of Vanek the way Boeser shoots that puck.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yup. CIS hockey is pretty much full of guys who played major junior. Lots of guys don't even play their overage year to go to cis.

Reid Gow was playing CIS this year and finished the season with Brandon.

------

The thing I don't like about the NCAA is they're too restrictive. A kid plays one exhibition game as a 15 year old with a WHL team and he loses any NCAA eligibility.

I'd like to see them loosen that rule.

NCAA is setup for American sports culture and simply doesn't mesh well with the Canadian hockey setup. The rules in place are setup more for Basketball and Football players, can't really make special exemptions for hockey players so they just kind of get shafted.

...Not that we need to feel too bad for them, still getting a free ride.

arsmaster*

Better than Virtanen, not sure about McCann. Virtanen's shot seemed to be 'off' after his shoulder surgery.

I think Virtanen has more velocity and a better release in terms of explosion off the stick and lack of windup (plus Jake has all of the releases down...wrist, snap, slap, backhand).

Boeser to me, just has that uncanny ability to pick spots. I don't think his release is better than Jake's, he's just a more natural "pure scorer". For me there is a difference between a scorer and a shooter.

Here's hoping they're book end 30 goal scorers here sometime down the road.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Comparable or better shot than Virtanen and McCann?

The thing that sets Boeser apart is that he hides the release really well. You don't really know the shot is coming until it's off his stick. He doesn't seem like he's trying to shoot the puck through the net. He's reading the goalie and shooting for the open spot. That's why Vanek came to mind when I saw him shooting.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
From these descriptions it sounds like Boeser has a bit of Daniel in him, probably a better total shot, but Daniel was know for spot picking more than anything... And that twin thing.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
For comparison's sake, does anyone have a handle on McCann's shot, and how it stacks up with Boeser's?

I have difficulty making comparisons like that since I haven't viewed these players much. I've basically forgotten anything I thought I knew about Virtanen's shot since the WJC.
The standout thing from there was Jake's Hands of God goal when he volleyed a hard backboard rebound into the net so quickly it was a blur on slo-mo replay.

Fuimus

Jun 24, 2014
Better than Virtanen, not sure about McCann. Virtanen's shot seemed to be 'off' after his shoulder surgery.

McCann had a harder shot than Boeser and a quicker release. Although Boeser has the ability to find the soft spot in the zone to unleash his quite accurate shot.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
McCann had a harder shot than Boeser and a quicker release. Although Boeser has the ability to find the soft spot in the zone to unleash his quite accurate shot.

Not only can Boeser find holes, he is willing to park himself in front of the net. He is quite comfortable playing a down low game.

McCann seems to prefer mid range.

Virtanen probably has the most power. McCann has a very hard shot too. But Boeser seems to be the best in using his shot.

I'm certain Boeser is a top 6 forward. Yes projection, but I really see him as a can't miss.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00