Prospects Development Camp

Fuimus

Jun 24, 2014
The practice was about 50% odd man rushes drills and 50% 1 on 1 and 2 on 2 board drills.
Just my few notes from what I saw today:

Zhuknov - In almost all 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 drills looked to pass before he shoots. I don't think I remember him taking the shot once when carrying the puck into the offensive zone. He also had wasn't able be beat a defender in 1 on 1 rushes drills. In the board drills he was noticeable as he has a quick stick and could take the puck away from the opposing player.

McEneny - Had a very good stick. He was able to separate the puck from the offensive player often. Doug Lidster complemented him on it.

McCann - What a shot. A tier above any other player there in terms of speed and release time. Likes to shoot far post just above the pad or near side top shelf (small sample size)

Boeser - Nice inside outside move 1 on 1 to create room for his shoot. His body is always facing the net ready to shoot. Accurate shot.

Olson - Has good backhand deek. Looked comfortable with the puck on his stick.

Cederholm - Was the last off the ice takeing extra practice with his pivot and when to use it.

Stewart - Almost ran right through a defender on a 1 on 1 drill. Good top end speed. A few moves he made reminded me of Gino Odjick when he would dipsey doodle up the ice and you were wondering how he could do it as it looked half awkward half amazing.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I'm starting to like Mackenzie Stewart, has an excellent story from being deaf and started playing hockey at 12. Intensely dedicated to his fitness and nutrition, also possesses good speed. He's well worth a 7th round pick and will be a good character 4th line player.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Zhuknov - In almost all 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 drills looked to pass before he shoots. I don't think I remember him taking the shot once when carrying the puck into the offensive zone.

Sounds like the budget version of Mathew Barzal. :sarcasm:

I'm starting to like Mackenzie Stewart, has an excellent story from being deaf and started playing hockey at 12. Intensely dedicated to his fitness and nutrition, also possesses good speed. He's well worth a 7th round pick and will be a good character 4th line player.

That would be quite the progression, relative to expectations. I'm all for it - I would hope most of us are. He wasn't exactly chopped liver at Shawnigan.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Thanks for all the updates guys!

He's got such a weird release on his shot. Doesn't look like it should come off his stick with the weight it does.

He must be incredibly strong to get those types of snap shots off.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
McLean looks entirely too tall to be a professional goaltender. Maybe we can convert him to D. Boeser's got a sweet shot. Wish he would go over to the CHL so I could follow him this year. I'm just not a fan of watching NCAA hockey.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
So virtanen got injured again? Didn't participate in any of the 3 on 3 games?

He said on Sekeres and Price the other day that he got his bell rung and is taking a couple days off as a precautionary measure but he felt fine. Had a headache after being hit but no lingering effects the next day.

HowDoIHockey

Supreme Mugwump
Jul 12, 2015
Victoria
Linden also mentioned in Q and A that he was looking for someone that could "manage the cba well" as an assistant gm. And Benning told my dad that the plan was to return next year to Shawnigan as well, as they were blown away by the venue

Woooo, good job, Shawnigan! I really hope they do return. I was so excited when I heard the camp was so close by but then the timing didn't work out and I thought I missed my only chance to see something like this! Sounds like it was pretty cool to watch for those who made it out.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
McLean looks entirely too tall to be a professional goaltender. Maybe we can convert him to D. Boeser's got a sweet shot. Wish he would go over to the CHL so I could follow him this year. I'm just not a fan of watching NCAA hockey.

Scouts don't necessarily agree with you...Eichel, Hanafin and Werenski were all top-10 picks...and four other guys from the USHL, including Boeser, are headed to NCAA schools...both the Jets first rounders were from the USHL and are headed for college hockey.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

not giving business or further influence to the NCAA is a moral imperative. i wish he would go AHL or CHL just because **** the NCAA.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep. CHL is a multi-million dollar business that uses unpaid labour. That's why there's a push to create a union for junior players.

Yep, lol....a full-ride NCAA scholarship is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and for an Ivy League school it's probably approaching a million...yet players are considered 'amateurs'....meantime north of the border those good ol Canadian kids ride the buses and play for peanuts, but somehow they're considered 'professionals'....something wrong here.:rant:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
The CHL doesn't really have a moral higher ground either.

the CHL is morally bereft as well but the NCAA is an order of magnitude worse than the CHL is. lesser of two evils and all that

also with the unionizing and so forth going on there is a possibility that the CHL becomes a much better place for hockey players. the NCAA is basically ****ed until its destroyed

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
the CHL is morally bereft as well but the NCAA is an order of magnitude worse than the CHL is. lesser of two evils and all that

also with the unionizing and so forth going on there is a possibility that the CHL becomes a much better place for hockey players. the NCAA is basically ****ed until its destroyed

At least you come out with a post-secondary degree when you play in the NCAA. It's better than not being a high-end professional hockey player and no job prospects because all you have is a high school diploma.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
At least you come out with a post-secondary degree when you play in the NCAA. It's better than not being a high-end professional hockey player and no job prospects because all you have is a high school diploma.

what about the players that basically starve or the coaches that get reprimanded for feeding them

whew, thank god i got my degree in uh, hotel lobby floor maintenance

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
what about the players that basically starve or the coaches that get reprimanded for feeding them

whew, thank god i got my degree in uh, hotel lobby floor maintenance

You make it sound like the CHL is paying their players an decent salary/wage.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
You make it sound like the CHL is paying their players an decent salary/wage.

no but they at least arrange billets that the players then eat out of money

again, the chl isn't good - but its a lot better than the ncaa, which is straight up evil

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Are we actually talking about the same things here? Sports programs in the NCAA are multibillion dollar industries.
The CHL is lucky to get 4000 fans per game at $10-$20 per ticket. The reason they can't pay more is because there is no more money and they aren't subsidized by massive conglomerates....
I can see creating an organization for the players to ensure they are properly educated and advised/supported in career development but to pay them more would all but destroy the league. Yes, some teams have season revenues in the seven figure range but many are in the mid 6 figure range. The vast majority of teams are supported by a small number of very loyal fans who aren't in a position to pay NHL level prices for season tickets. And owners aren't the multibillionaires you see in the NHL
...a large number of teams would not survive.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
obviously they wouldn't be demanding adult living wages as 16-17 year olds, but their situation could get a lot better without jeopardizing the league

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Players essentially get the same thing from the WHL, though.

For each year a player plays in the WHL, the league pays for a year of post-secondary education at the school of their choice. So for most guys who play 4-5 years, they get a 4 year degree paid for if they don't go pro.

Pretty much every WHL player either goes on to a long professional hockey career or continues on in Canadian University to get a degree.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
obviously they wouldn't be demanding adult living wages as 16-17 year olds, but their situation could get a lot better without jeopardizing the league

The big risk for these kids is that the vast majority will not make it despite putting their non-hockey lives on hold for 3 to 4 years. Especially for those kids who are 18 and older, if they're going to risk delaying a university education or vocational training, then they need support to ensure they are ready for life after the dream ends.

What is the difference between a 16 year old kid playing major midget vs major junior: in the first, the parents pay $10K a season. In the second, the kid gets the best opportunity for skill development in his chosen sport.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I'm interested on final thoughts about Justin Lemcke if anyone cares to chime in.

I also haven't read anything on how the grind went. Any times posted?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad