Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Hmmm...maybe Hollowell needs a video after all...there isn't enough out there on him for my liking...

The Sandin video was great. I watched the Bouchard video too, and I had to laugh cause you said Durzi was another guy with limited brains on the ice. So it seems like the Leafs got two guys on opposite ends there. Thanks for the breakdowns.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
After watching that video I might have to get a Durzi jersey but would my Durzi jersey be too wordsy?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Can't tell if Durzi is Bobby Orr-lite or if OHL doesn't really do this "defense" thing very well

Pretty much dominated weak defensive teams and oddly Kitchener. For some reason Kitchener was terrible against him.

SSM in the playoffs had trouble too, but for some reason they had trouble with a lot of teams in the playoffs. Their team fell apart.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Durzi is an exciting prospect. I'm looking forward to watching him this year. That shot is just what we need. It's only going to get better, as he gets stronger.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I’m really liking our depth on D, Especially on the left! I think the Leafs’ biggest weakness will soon be a strength!

Safe bets:
Liljegren
Sandin
Dermott
Borgman
————
Young depth guys
Marincin
Rosen
Carrick
Holl
————
Solid prospects:
Rasanen
Durzi
Kral
Gordeev
Lindgren
Hollowell
O’Connell
————
C prospects
Greenway
Subban

I wouldn’t be surprised if 7 or 8 of these guys become NHLers

Lol. We would be the best drafting team in the history of hockey if that was the case.

Reactions: uncleben

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Lol. We would be the best drafting team in the history of hockey if that was the case.

You think we would be the best drafting team in the history of hockey if:

Dermott
Carrick
Borgman
Liljegren
Rosen
Marincin
One of the others in that list (eg Sandin)

... were all NHLers? I mean, more than half of them basically already are, and half we didn’t draft.

leafylou

Oct 18, 2015
Now that MLSE actually owns the ECHL affiliate, I think we may see the Leafs put into greater effect Dubas’s stated plan to use theECHL team as a first level development program.... a bit like the lower level minors in baseball. We may see prospects assigned to the Growlers rather than retuning to junior as overagers if they can't make the Marlies.
The Maple Leafs do not own the Growlers. Dean MacDonald, who is a St. John's businessman, owns the franchise. The Growlers are affiliated with the Leafs.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Durzi perseveres, aims to prove Maple Leafs right
"It's a mindset I've had my whole life. If you have that mentality to learn and get better every day, you really pick up on a lot of things. The small things I've learned on and off the ice make a difference."
"The type of player I am is someone who runs my game off my hockey IQ," Durzi said. "It's something I've had for a long time and as my skills develop, I think I'm only going to get better. I'm more of an offensive guy, a guy who can run the power play."

Durzi has long since gotten past the disappointment of not being selected in 2017, and he is not using being overlooked last year as motivation. His focus this offseason is improving his play without the puck.
"Definitely, decision making away from the puck [I need to improve]. I think that's something you get with experience. It's something I'm continually working on. If I really work at that and use my mindset and hockey sense and can add that physicality aspect to my game, I think it will only make me a better player."

"I have a lot of work to do this offseason. Getting drafted is just the beginning."

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I like durzi and hope he succeeds but maybe this is just me overthinking it but I just wished we cleared a contract last year and signed him out of camp like it was intended and drafted someone else.

Still.... can’t really complain about life as a leafs fan lately.

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
I like durzi and hope he succeeds but maybe this is just me overthinking it but I just wished we cleared a contract last year and signed him out of camp like it was intended and drafted someone else.

Still.... can’t really complain about life as a leafs fan lately.

I read that on forums too, about Dubas suggesting to sign him out of i think was development camp and Lou or Hunter (or both) saying no. Makes you feel Dubas drafting him in the 2nd as a middle finger to those guys and i'm starting to see why Hunter (and Lou but to lesse extent) left.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I read that on forums too, about Dubas suggesting to sign him out of i think was development camp and Lou or Hunter (or both) saying no. Makes you feel Dubas drafting him in the 2nd as a middle finger to those guys and i'm starting to see why Hunter (and Lou but to lesse extent) left.

wait you are starting to see why hunter left because dubas took a guy in the 2nd round this year after hunter was gone?. Dubas took the player because he liked the player there are no middle fingers involved, Durzi has already performed better than Rasanen (also a 2nd rnd pick of hunters) has but hunter was blinded by his fetish for 6'6"+ dmen

Reactions: Lauro

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Given stories of players Dubas was pushing for but were never gone after by Lou/Hunter, its becoming apparent we might be better off with Dubas.

Dubas wanted the Leafs to sign Yani Gourde, he went to TBL and made an instant impact

Dubas wanted the Leafs to acquire Nate Schmidt, he went to VGK and made an instant impact

Dubas wanted to draft Durzi last year, and he went on to have a huge year and got himself projected to go in round 2

There’s one more that came out that I’m forgetting as wel

Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
wait you are starting to see why hunter left because dubas took a guy in the 2nd round this year after hunter was gone?. Dubas took the player because he liked the player there are no middle fingers involved, Durzi has already performed better than Rasanen (also a 2nd rnd pick of hunters) has but hunter was blinded by his fetish for 6'6"+ dmen
Think it is a little early to tell what the finished product between these two guys are. When we drafted Rasanen everyone knew he was a few years away. I would expect a small mobile offensive D to have outperform a more project guy out of the gates. This will be an interesting season for Rasanen, and I don't think it is fair to write him off yet, as many seem to be doing.

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
Ofc not, this is going a bit sideways here. I don't think Dubas would draft Durzi in 2nd round if he was projected to go in 4th or if he thought there are better players. Maybe Leafs staff liked him more than other NHL teams, Dubas did like him enough to want to get him last year. It could have been the unspoken thing "i wanted this guy last year and you said no, now he's improved a great deal like i said he would, you should have listened" and increased tension.

I'm mearly stating that i can see there might have been some differences of opinions and with Hunter/Lou voicing over Dubas in few such matters as a poster above stated, with Dubas being now in charge there clearly (as we've seen since they both left the Leafs quickly after naming Dubas GM) wasn't much future in them working together.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
Given stories of players Dubas was pushing for but were never gone after by Lou/Hunter, its becoming apparent we might be better off with Dubas.

Dubas wanted the Leafs to sign Yani Gourde, he went to TBL and made an instant impact

Dubas wanted the Leafs to acquire Nate Schmidt, he went to VGK and made an instant impact

Dubas wanted to draft Durzi last year, and he went on to have a huge year and got himself projected to go in round 2

Not disputing your info, just wondering what sources you;re referencing. I've not seen that anywhere.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Was the other one Colin Miller from BOS who also got claimed by VGK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad