Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I will be peparing a post on our top prospects a little later.
You will be able to see
-Prospect grades: present and future
-Analysis
-if their stock went up, down, stayed the same
-Plus other thoughts
If aj doesn’t get A+ you’re fired!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The Leafs could offer him a courtesy deal though. Or there may be something in there that a team can still offer him an NHL deal. I am surprised he would settle. Seems like he could get another one-way somewhere. Even if he gets the max AHL contract salary (which he probably is), that's still going to be a fraction of the 750k he made last year.

Whatever, free contract if it stays as is. Marlies already lost Smith so they need a new captain and I could not think of anyone better than him. Also needed a center to replace Gauthier and Greening can play a pretty good center.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Glad Greening is staying around. Still quite surprised he wasn't given a shot for an NHL job. He is a big body that can still skate.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Greening might be the next Captain of the Marlies with Smith leaving.

:thumbu:

He's 32, only played 286 NHL games (303 if you include playoffs), so it isn't like he's ever been in the NHL solidly over his career.

Perhaps he's looking at his post-playing career?

Perhaps he (his family) loves it in the GTA?

$350k was max in AHL, so if he's getting max, that's still a darn good salary.

Colin Greening - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Leafs could offer him a courtesy deal though. Or there may be something in there that a team can still offer him an NHL deal. I am surprised he would settle. Seems like he could get another one-way somewhere. Even if he gets the max AHL contract salary (which he probably is), that's still going to be a fraction of the 750k he made last year.

Whatever, free contract if it stays as is. Marlies already lost Smith so they need a new captain and I could not think of anyone better than him. Also needed a center to replace Gauthier and Greening can play a pretty good center.

All AHL contracts have NHL opt outs.

So while he’s under contract to the Marlins, if someone offers him an NHL deal on July 1, he can still take it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
All AHL contracts have NHL opt outs.

So while he’s under contract to the Marlins, if someone offers him an NHL deal on July 1, he can still take it.

I could see the Leafs agreeing to match if he gets an offer, unless it is a dumb offer greater than $985k. Or whatever the amount you can bury in AHL.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Most likely what would happen.

Isn't burying up to like 1.025 mill now? I know it was 1 mill last year.

I doubt any team will try and poach him. I do not know for sure if there is an opt-out clause, but typically a team will not be a dick about it anyways and offer them a contract if they have space/money and want the guy. Like the Leafs did with Andrew Campbell a few years back. They are not going to make it seem like they are depriving the guy of an NHL opportunity and money just because he made a prior commitment.

I think the team with the AHL contract gets to keep the AHL rights though. I know there have been times where a guy in the ECHL was signed by an AHL team after a good stretch on loan but if they wanted to send him back to their new ECHL affiliate instead of his old one, the old team had to trade his rights away.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Greening is a really smart guy, Ivy League business degree, at the very least Toronto is a great place to be with those credentials. Likely has a long term plan for after hockey maybe even with MLSE.
He also went to high school here (Upper Canada College).

He'd be a solid Captain for the Marlies next year and it's a plus that we seem to have him on an AHL deal. Good signing in my opinion.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Greening is a really smart guy, Ivy League business degree, at the very least Toronto is a great place to be with those credentials. Likely has a long term plan for after hockey maybe even with MLSE.

He comes across as quite bright in interviews, apparently he pays very close attention to his stats including advanced ones) to look for ways to improve his game.

Dubas has gone out of his way to praise him as a good presence in the dressing room.

I can actually see him going into front office work after his playing career is over, maybe even with the Leafs/Marlies.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
He also went to high school here (Upper Canada College).

He'd be a solid Captain for the Marlies next year and it's a plus that we seem to have him on an AHL deal. Good signing in my opinion.

I have a soft spot for him, Clarkson and St.Lawrence U are very close to here and I used to go to a lot. I saw Greening play at least once every year. Thought he was going to be a star. Disappointed that he went to the Sens.
Although I sat beside a scout for the kings at SLU one night during Colins’ draft year, he asked me who I liked, I said Greening. He responded that he had a chance but only as a checker pker. Terrible hands. Lol that’s why he gets paid for watching hockey and I don’t.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
where is Ben Smith going?
also - colour me surpriesd too that Greening doesn't get an NHL shot. i always thought his glitch was that he was making too much money not because he sucked. (and if I were to tell you that this was the best aspect of the deal with ottawa i think most of us would have been like "nope.")

Reactions: uncleben

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
where is Ben Smith going?
also - colour me surpriesd too that Greening doesn't get an NHL shot. i always thought his glitch was that he was making too much money not because he sucked. (and if I were to tell you that this was the best aspect of the deal with ottawa i think most of us would have been like "nope.")

He's got a contract in Germany that he's apparently planned for months now after this season ended. He's glad that it ended the way it did though.

Also

That's one way to announce Clune is coming back next season lol

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Greening might be the next Captain of the Marlies with Smith leaving.

Always thought Greening had the life as an AHL player - next best thing if you couldn't make the NHL on a permanent basis if you ask me.

Made 10+ million in the NHL, likely getting the AHL max, Cornell grad, gets to live in a world class city, works 6-8 months a year, gets to train with some of the best trainers in the sport and get to play hockey for a living.

Now a Calder Cup Champion and likely captain.

That's a great life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad