Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Durzi should definitely aim for the AHL this year. He’s ahead of Sandin as his OHL season proved, and he’s older and physically more mature.

Being slightly better than someone who is a year and a half younger than you is not really an accomplishment. Durzi does not need to worry about competing with Sandin for a job on the AHL team. He needs to worry about Liljegren, Holl, LoVerde and Subban. Good luck beating any of them for a job.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Being slightly better than someone who is a year and a half younger than you is not really an accomplishment. Durzi does not need to worry about competing with Sandin for a job on the AHL team. He needs to worry about Liljegren, Holl, LoVerde and Subban. Good luck beating any of them for a job.

Just a few things,

1) Holl and LoVerde are around 28-29yrs old, so IMHO Durzi should be on the AHL team before any of them
2) Subban? Why is he all of a sudden so high on the depth chart? Kid hasn't done much while in the AHL. If Durzi beats out Subban for the bottom pairing I think the writing is on the wall for Subban. However I wouldn't mind seeing a bottom pairing of Durzi - Subban (I put Subban on his strong side just so we have some sort of idea of who we have in a player)

As for Sandin the only reason I think he should be on the AHL squad is if he is in a top4 role, which I think is very unlikely (Lilly was on the bottom pairing for most of the season and all through the playoffs, just as a comparison).

I think Toronto needs to keep one of Holl and LoVerde and not have both on the Marlies next year. I'm also really looking forward to seeing how all the kids compete for the final 5 spots

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Just a few things,

1) Holl and LoVerde are around 28-29yrs old, so IMHO Durzi should be on the AHL team before any of them
2) Subban? Why is he all of a sudden so high on the depth chart? Kid hasn't done much while in the AHL. If Durzi beats out Subban for the bottom pairing I think the writing is on the wall for Subban. However I wouldn't mind seeing a bottom pairing of Durzi - Subban (I put Subban on his strong side just so we have some sort of idea of who we have in a player)

As for Sandin the only reason I think he should be on the AHL squad is if he is in a top4 role, which I think is very unlikely (Lilly was on the bottom pairing for most of the season and all through the playoffs, just as a comparison).

I think Toronto needs to keep one of Holl and LoVerde and not have both on the Marlies next year. I'm also really looking forward to seeing how all the kids compete for the final 5 spots

Holl is 26, Lo Verde is 29. Holl is signed for next year. Lo Verde isn't. That answers your supposition.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Just a few things,

Holl and LoVerde were two of the better defensemen in the AHL last year and are there to help our younger defense. Both should be there above Durzi, and it's not like they can go anywhere else besides the NHL (and neither are suited for that). Subban has a contract that can not go to the ECHL. Liljegren is the only one who can be sent to the ECHL, and that's not going to happen. If Dubas really planned on having Durzi anywhere near the AHL, he would not have signed Subban... Especially since they play a very similar game. Really, signing Holl for two years was also a good indication. Next year, LoVerde is probably gone, Subban is probably gone or traded, and Liljegren is probably moving up to the Leafs to replace Hainsey. That leaves three spots for Durzi, Hollowell and Lindgren as they probably planned. Rasanen will eventually work his way in there as well. In the meantime, Lindgren will probably get loaned to the Liiga for one more year, because he did have one more year on his original deal. Rasanen is already in the KHL. Durzi and Hollowell play in the OHL for one more year, which is not ridiculous. Both have a few things they could work on before going pro.

As for the off side, the LD is harder to crack. Borgman, Rosen and Marincin would all play long before Durzi, never mind Durzi on his off side. That is three NHL quality players you are talking about. Nielsen can go to the ECHL, but he's already the #4 on that depth chart, and is far too good for even that, never mind the ECHL. He'd be traded before getting sent down, even if it is like what happened to Valiev.

The Leafs had no problem sending Brooks back for his OA year after drafting him. No reason to believe Durzi should be any different. We had less depth at center at that time than we did RD right now, and he had a more impressive pre-OA season than Durzi did.

Krispy

Sep 12, 2017
Riga, Latvia
There is a longshot rumour (behind a Latvian paywall) that Dzierkals may end up in Riga next year. It was something I thought could be a possibility, and is fine since we would keep him rights indefinitely while he's over there. He could fast track his development with more ice time in Riga. He'd probably become one of their better players.

Dinamo Riga is an awful place for someones development, they never bother doing that, instead they will turn him into towell man. Latvian here.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Just a few things,

Just some thoughts. #2 is pure speculation.
1) usually older players get top minutes unless they are role players or they suck. Since Durzi is coming in, they would scaffold or shelter him so that professional hockey is not a shock and Durzi can ease his way into the nhl. Also mentioned above, LoVerde and Holl played top minutes in ahl last season.
2) Subban has more experience but Durzi will beat him out next year since Subban has poor defence. If not, then Durzi does not deserve a roster spot. I think Subban was brought in as an experiment kind of like what they did with Marincin. Bringing in Subban might improve scouting and find aspects of his game to look for in other players.
3) RHD is stacked but remember ahl games have so many b2b. So Durzi may play 30-40 games this season. Ideally he would play echl, but you never know or he could go back to the ohl. Durzi was injured so playing 30 ahl games may be optimal.
4) we also have Mac Hollowell. Someone is going back to the ohl.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Holl and LoVerde were two of the better defensemen in the AHL last year and are there to help our younger defense. Both should be there above Durzi, and it's not like they can go anywhere else besides the NHL (and neither are suited for that). Subban has a contract that can not go to the ECHL. Liljegren is the only one who can be sent to the ECHL, and that's not going to happen. If Dubas really planned on having Durzi anywhere near the AHL, he would not have signed Subban... Especially since they play a very similar game. Really, signing Holl for two years was also a good indication. Next year, LoVerde is probably gone, Subban is probably gone or traded, and Liljegren is probably moving up to the Leafs to replace Hainsey. That leaves three spots for Durzi, Hollowell and Lindgren as they probably planned. Rasanen will eventually work his way in there as well. In the meantime, Lindgren will probably get loaned to the Liiga for one more year, because he did have one more year on his original deal. Rasanen is already in the KHL. Durzi and Hollowell play in the OHL for one more year, which is not ridiculous. Both have a few things they could work on before going pro.

As for the off side, the LD is harder to crack. Borgman, Rosen and Marincin would all play long before Durzi, never mind Durzi on his off side. That is three NHL quality players you are talking about. Nielsen can go to the ECHL, but he's already the #4 on that depth chart, and is far too good for even that, never mind the ECHL. He'd be traded before getting sent down, even if it is like what happened to Valiev.

The Leafs had no problem sending Brooks back for his OA year after drafting him. No reason to believe Durzi should be any different. We had less depth at center at that time than we did RD right now, and he had a more impressive pre-OA season than Durzi did.
The reason Durzi should be different is the allocation of a 2nd rounder on him, instead of a 4th. If you were comparing Brooks to Hollowell fine, but if you are drafting a guy entering his 20-year-old season in the 2nd round, he should be AHL ready immediately. Otherwise, that player isn't tracking well to be a good pick in that range.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Also looks like Sandin has been dropped for the Summer Showcase Camp. Hopefully it means he's a lock like Lilljegren and Brannstrom, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The reason Durzi should be different is the allocation of a 2nd rounder on him, instead of a 4th. If you were comparing Brooks to Hollowell fine, but if you are drafting a guy entering his 20-year-old season in the 2nd round, he should be AHL ready immediately. Otherwise, that player isn't tracking well to be a good pick in that range.

Then what is the reason behind signing Subban after drafting Durzi? That Subban signing pretty much dashed the hopes of having Durzi on the Marlies. Unless they have some sort of out of the blue plans that puts one of those 4 (Subban, Holl, LoVerde, Liljegren) somewhere else. And for those who think Holl should be in the NHL, then that likely means Ozhiganov would end up in the AHL so you have the same problem.

Now he could be on the Growlers, but I am not sure that would be much better than putting him in the OHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Then what is the reason behind signing Subban after drafting Durzi? That Subban signing pretty much dashed the hopes of having Durzi on the Marlies. Unless they have some sort of out of the blue plans that puts one of those 4 (Subban, Holl, LoVerde, Liljegren) somewhere else. And for those who think Holl should be in the NHL, then that likely means Ozhiganov would end up in the AHL so you have the same problem.

Now he could be on the Growlers, but I am not sure that would be much better than putting him in the OHL.
Then that is terrible asset management. He has nothing left to learn in the OHL and its pointless to send him back to that level. You don't draft a guy in the 2nd round with the intention of having him play an overage season in the OHL. Anyone taken in the 2nd should be past that point, especially if they were taken as an overager.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Then that is terrible asset management. He has nothing left to learn in the OHL and its pointless to send him back to that level. You don't draft a guy in the 2nd round with the intention of having him play an overage season in the OHL. Anyone taken in the 2nd should be past that point, especially if they were taken as an overager.

Don't ask me. I did not like the pick at all. All I know is that the Marlies have 4 defensemen ahead of him right now, and one of them was a move that came after drafting Durzi and directly took him out of an AHL job. It is not really the type of move you are making if you trust Durzi.

Subban is young and still has some decent potential left, but he was non-tendered for a reason. He's not really worth going that far out of your way to get.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Don't ask me. I did not like the pick at all. All I know is that the Marlies have 4 defensemen ahead of him right now, and one of them was a move that came after drafting Durzi and directly took him out of an AHL job. It is not really the type of move you are making if you trust Durzi.

Subban is young and still has some decent potential left, but he was non-tendered for a reason. He's not really worth going that far out of your way to get.
Fair enough take. Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the pick either. It really makes no sense to me to draft a 19 year old in the 2nd round and send him back for an OA year. If you drafted a guy at 17 at 52 and you are sending him back for an OA season 2 years later you are pretty disappointed. Hopefully, the Leafs can figure out how to get a spot for him in the AHL where he gets adequate playing time, because one more year in the OHL makes no sense to me at this point, even if its not a pick I would have made.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Two names that intrigue me when it comes to RD and who've been doing well, from what I understand, in the AHL are: Filip Hronek out of Detroit's system and in Calgary's, Rasmus Andersson. Does anyone have a take on these players? Would they have a chance of improving our RD core on the Leafs and finally, what might the cost for either be? Thanks.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Yea nahhh

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd say Durzi has a pretty good chance of staying in the AHL this season. You always need more bodies on your AHL squad due to last minute call ups and the 3 games in 3 nights thing, so the rotation of players is a lot more frequent. Mix that with the fact that there will be probably 3 full time graduations from the Marlies, it's pretty likely Durzi will be among that top 8/9 of the Marlies.

Another thing to note is that the Leafs essentially bought a new ECHL team to have more control over that team. They will have a much more hands on approach than with the Solar Bears from what my understanding. So if the Leafs really like Durzis development but just want him to play more, the Growlers is the best perfect spot for him instead of going back to Junior and be stuck there until the end of the season. I do not see any benefits of Durzi going back unless he shows big struggles with the pro pace.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Two names that intrigue me when it comes to RD and who've been doing well, from what I understand, in the AHL are: Filip Hronek out of Detroit's system and in Calgary's, Rasmus Andersson. Does anyone have a take on these players? Would they have a chance of improving our RD core on the Leafs and finally, what might the cost for either be? Thanks.
Hronek won't be moved IMO. He had a great year last year and the Wings being thin in D gives them no incentive to move one of their better D prospects.

Reactions: meefer

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Durzi with the Marlies? I can’t see that going well next year, he will get eaten alive. He needs another year in junior, I don’t care how good his stats were last year.

Reactions: The Magic Man

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Durzi with the Marlies? I can’t see that going well next year, he will get eaten alive. He needs another year in junior, I don’t care how good his stats were last year.

What? Most players of his age make the jump to the AHL just fine. He's all ready completed 3 full OHL seasons.

If he was drafted in 2017, we wouldn't be discussing how he's not ready, we'd be pencilling him as a top 4 D on the Marlies probably because of how good his +1 draft was.

I don't understand why people don't believe he couldn't possibly be AHL ready. Players his age make the jump all the time.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
What? Most players of his age make the jump to the AHL just fine. He's all ready completed 3 full OHL seasons.

If he was drafted in 2017, we wouldn't be discussing how he's not ready, we'd be pencilling him as a top 4 D on the Marlies probably because of how good his +1 draft was.

It has nothing to do with his stats either.

If he was drafted late in 2017 (which baffles me that he wasn’t) I still think top minutes in the OHL is better for his development than whatever he is going to get with the Marlies. Pro is a huge jump and I can’t see him being ready for it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If he was drafted late in 2017 (which baffles me that he wasn’t) I still think top minutes in the OHL is better for his development than whatever he is going to get with the Marlies. Pro is a huge jump and I can’t see him being ready for it.

After 3 seasons in the OHL and his last being a dominating one, the next step in his development isn't to dominate a Junior league again, it's to make the jump to the pro level. I never said it was an easy jump.

I can't think of anything left for him to learn. Him putting up over a PPG and playing the same minutes he did last season isn't going to do much other than being 1 year older.

It's possible he goes back for his overager year but it would be rather disappointing and I'd start to question his development and the pick itself if he did. He wasn't a pick in the dark or a late round pick like Brooks or whoever else... he was drafted in the top 60, which is among some really good prospects.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Liljegren - and other prospects - were rotated in and out last year. I don’t see why Durzi can’t follow that same path.
That said, there does seem to be too many bodies on the depth chart from the bottom third on the NHL side in down.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
St. John’s native, UPEI grad becomes first player signed by Newfoundland’s ECHL team | The Guardian
The Growlers signed Marcus Power, a St. John’s, N.L., native and a former major junior and Canadian university hockey star, to a one-year ECHL contract on Thursday. And while the Toronto Maple Leafs organization already has a number of players under AHL deals who will probably see time with the Leafs new ECHL affiliate in St. John’s, Power is the first signed directly by the Growlers.

The deal was a product of mutual interest and ideal timing.

Power, who turns 25 on Saturday, finished a four-year career at UPEI in the spring, just weeks after the Growlers officially joined the ECHL as an expansion club.

“Once I saw a team was going to Newfoundland, I saw it as a way I could stay in North America. That was always my goal, to try things out (as a professional) here after school,” Power said Thursday.

Through his agent, the scoring forward reached out to the Maple Leafs, eventually learning there could be an opportunity to sign an ECHL deal with the Growlers.

He admits he had originally been seeking an AHL contract but came to see the Growlers offer as an opportunity he couldn’t pass up.

“There was a time when you didn’t see many affiliations (between ECHL and NHL teams),” said Power, “but now it really is an affiliation league and a place you can grow your game."

“It means there is a real opportunity to move up to the AHL and for some guys, even to the NHL. In this case, especially, it means you’re part of the Leafs system, plus I know how (pro) teams in St. John’s have been run over the years … always first class. And then there’s the fanbase they have.”

“I couldn’t turn it down.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad