Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Yeah, take out Dermott and Kapanen and leafs pool is likely on the bottom 15, though that will ideally change if some of the ‘18 selections start to show promise

Other teams will also have picks showing promise as well. With Dermott, Johnsson, Kapanen removed, I'd say we're probably somewhere in the 20-25 range. However, that's to be expected given the elite young talent we have on our roster. The good news is that some of our top prospects in Liljegren, Sandin, and Durzi are dmen.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Any word on where Sandin will play next year? I know he wants to go back to Sweden, but with the whole Hounds and Leafs connection I would imagine Dubas and company are pushing to keep him in North America?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I am not sure what is considered blue-chip, but I would probably include guys like Sandin, Johnsson and Grundstrom in there too at least.

Somewhere in the low teens is probably right though, but is still amazing considering we have probably had significantly more graduations than other teams too. We are easily top 3 in terms of U25 talent, if not number 1, so that is really what matters.

Grundstrom, Sandin and Johnsson aren’t blue chips.

Think Makar, Tolvanen, Chytil. Nylander, Rielly and Marner were also blue chip.

Guys who will be core peices for their organization moving forward.

Reactions: Garthinater

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Any word on where Sandin will play next year? I know he wants to go back to Sweden, but with the whole Hounds and Leafs connection I would imagine Dubas and company are pushing to keep him in North America?

I know there is a bit of a logjam on the backend for the Marlies. I'd have no issue if he were to stay in the CHL, totally dominate then move him over to the AHL next season. I would also be OK with him going back to Sweden to play with men. There is no wrong move here

I personally want to see Durzi in the AHL next year more than Sandin

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Almost certainly not on the Marlies, so SSM may have a chance to keep him. However I think he could end up in Sweden, at least to start. He may end up in SSM again after a few games like he did last year, if he does not perform well with Rogle.

I would plan without him if I were SSM, but good news is that Hollowell should be back. Which means acquiring another top 4 LD type to pair with Hollowell. I'd trade Wale + picks to get that guy.

Without Sandin:
Top4 LD-Hollowell
DeMeo-LeGuerrier
O'Rourke-Calisti
Caron

With Sandin:
Sandin-Hollowell
Top4 LD-LeGuerrier
DeMeo-Calisti
O'Rourke-Caron

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't mind Sandin back in the OHL, he should get top PP time now and his point totals will probably explode even further. His defensive game is good enough that I'd want him to focus on getting comfortable taking over games offensively and in transition now.

When's the soonest he can play in the AHL? Was he on loan in SSM or is he considered an OHL drafted prospect?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I don't mind Sandin back in the OHL, he should get top PP time now and his point totals will probably explode even further. His defensive game is good enough that I'd want him to focus on getting comfortable taking over games offensively and in transition now.

When's the soonest he can play in the AHL? Was he on loan in SSM or is he considered an OHL drafted prospect?
Loan, he can play in Sweden, OHL, or AHL next year

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Loan, he can play in Sweden, OHL, or AHL next year
I like to see Sandin back in the OHL for this reason. We all saw how Alex Nylander was struggling to make the Sabres roster after being drafted in 2016, because he was on loan from the Mississauga Steelheads and went to the AHL for his Draft +1 season. Maybe things would be different for Sandin if he went to play for the Marlies, so I guess we have to wait and see what happens.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I like to see Sandin back in the OHL for this reason. We all saw how Alex Nylander was struggling to make the Sabres roster after being drafted in 2016, because he was on loan from the Mississauga Steelheads and went to the AHL for his Draft +1 season. Maybe things would be different for Sandin if he went to play for the Marlies, so I guess we have to wait and see what happens.
I'd say anywhere but the AHL as well. Everyone knows that Sweden can make defensemen, and Rogle is in a better state now, however SSM is also an excellent place for development so I really don't care. And if it is the A, well, Dubas must feel its for the best.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd say anywhere but the AHL as well. Everyone knows that Sweden can make defensemen, and Rogle is in a better state now, however SSM is also an excellent place for development so I really don't care. And if it is the A, well, Dubas must feel its for the best.

I find it hard to see how he even fits in. Marlies have too many defensemen as it is and likely will need to trade one (probably Nielsen or Marincin) without even considering Durzi, Hollowell or Sandin. None of them should be in the AHL next year. All of them have stuff they can learn elsewhere, and the guy who is the closest can end up in Europe if he needs more of a challenge.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I find it hard to see how he even fits in. Marlies have too many defensemen as it is and likely will need to trade one (probably Nielsen or Marincin) without even considering Durzi, Hollowell or Sandin. None of them should be in the AHL next year. All of them have stuff they can learn elsewhere, and the guy who is the closest can end up in Europe if he needs more of a challenge.

Durzi should definitely aim for the AHL this year. He’s ahead of Sandin as his OHL season proved, and he’s older and physically more mature.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I like Sandin in the O as he will get a bigger opportunity on the top pairing next year being the "go to" which will be good for his development. Typically giving prospects a chance to play pro against older competitions is something I lean towards but in Sandin's case I think he stands to develop well in this situation to allow him to physically mature more before making the jump. More similar to Dermott's development.

Reactions: TML1967

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I like Sandin in the O as he will get a bigger opportunity on the top pairing next year being the "go to" which will be good for his development. Typically giving prospects a chance to play pro against older competitions is something I lean towards but in Sandin's case I think he stands to develop well in this situation to allow him to physically mature more before making the jump. More similar to Dermott's development.
Let him dominate for a year, and track his training. Enough off days in the ohl for him to work on building more and more strength

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
There is a longshot rumour (behind a Latvian paywall) that Dzierkals may end up in Riga next year. It was something I thought could be a possibility, and is fine since we would keep him rights indefinitely while he's over there. He could fast track his development with more ice time in Riga. He'd probably become one of their better players.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Woll finds comfort level with Maple Leafs
"Definitely it's a level of comfort, but there's still a level where you want to prove what you can do," Woll said. "The biggest thing about development camp for me is about building the relationships with the coaches and players you're hopefully going to play with one day. It's just making sure every year I come to camp and show them what I've learned the previous year."

Woll spent the past two seasons as the starting goalie for Boston College. He went 17-11-2 last season with a 2.48 GAA and a .915 save percentage. As a freshman in 2016-17, he was 17-13-3 with a 2.64 GAA and a .913 save percentage.

"Small things like strength and size, I feel a lot more confident in," Woll said. "The biggest thing is I feel like I'm getting more composed and more relaxed within the game, just that sense of growing older and getting more mature within the game and reading the play better. I feel like in that sense my game has taken a big leap since last year."

Woll (6-foot-3, 200 pounds) said he intends to return to Boston College for his junior season.

Reactions: hockeynorth

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dzierkals is apparently going back to Riga in the KHL. I hope he can regain his game there but he didn't have the best development in North America. Maybe in a few years we'll see him back.

Also, Ricoh Coliseum is being rebranded to Coca-Cola Coliseum.

Reactions: saltming

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Dzierkals is apparently going back to Riga in the KHL. I hope he can regain his game there but he didn't have the best development in North America. Maybe in a few years we'll see him back.

Terrible name.

Maybe I can check out Dzierkals next season. Do we retain his rights?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I think it could at least a cool nickname and no other team has it. Like the CCC or something.

You can not do anything with Scotiabank Arena...

Also I wouldn't be surprised if we are getting paid more for those rights than the Leafs did from Air Canada on their last deal. Mind you that was money from like 20 years ago, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad