Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
The good thing for all 3 of these guys is that if they play well, there isn't much center depth blocking their path for the next year or so. Probably part of the appeal of coming here.

Them, similarly skilled and aged Bradley as well as Brooks and Ferguson will be able to take advantage of Toronto's development team. But realistically speaking, none of them or the prospects we do already have (Brooks and Ferguson), even if they overachieve, can expect much time as a center on the leafs until at least 2022 at the earliest.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The good thing for all 3 of these guys is that if they play well, there isn't much center depth blocking their path for the next year or so. Probably part of the appeal of coming here.
There’s gonna be pretty stiff competition for the one available C job with the Leafs over the next seven years ;)
Edit to add: seriously though, Brooks has some upside, there’s 3/4 guys with ELC upside, Dakota has his strengths, and the recent draftees have some upside too....it’s less bad then it was.
I kinda anticipate that some of the C prospects will be groomed as utility guys, who can play the wing too. Increasing flexibility and value.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I am pretty interested in both Hudson Elynuik and Giorgio Estephan.
Very different prospect types.

Elnuik is massive, and plays like it. His skating is pretty underwhelming right now, but im hoping Barb Underhill and the Marlies team can get him like she did with Marchment and a few other guys this year.

Estephan reminds me a bit of Connor Brown. Was very underrated and undervalued because he played for some atrocious teams in junior. Is a shoot first centre, which seems to be the Leafs MO right now.

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
Interested to see how Ryan Moore does. Watched him a ton with the Bulldogs the last half of the year. He has speed and a bit of a pest factor to him (Gallagher type)

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
As someone who doesn't follow prospects much, how was Liljegren's first AHL season? Top 4 potential in a couple years?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
As someone who doesn't follow prospects much, how was Liljegren's first AHL season? Top 4 potential in a couple years?

He's definitely on track. His PPG at his age compares favorably historically, and that was with him admitting he was focusing much more on his defensive game than points. More subjectively, his speed is less impressive than I thought it would be but his 4-way mobility is great. He's much more physical than he was made out to be pre-draft. I'd like to see him work the offensive blueline the way I know he can but that can probably be chalked up to confidence and adjustment. He'll be really interesting to follow this year. He probably isn't the super prospect he was 2 years ago but he's still really young and playing a tough position at a very high level.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's definitely on track. His PPG at his age compares favorably historically, and that was with him admitting he was focusing much more on his defensive game than points. More subjectively, his speed is less impressive than I thought it would be but his 4-way mobility is great. He's much more physical than he was made out to be pre-draft. I'd like to see him work the offensive blueline the way I know he can but that can probably be chalked up to confidence and adjustment. He'll be really interesting to follow this year. He probably isn't the super prospect he was 2 years ago but he's still really young and playing a tough position at a very high level.
I would still think he's a super prospect because what he did at 18 was very impressive. If he stagnated next season or the one after then I might change my mind

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Lily is so young for the AHL, but he has good offensive tools. His offensive game may come a bit later with experience and maturity in his game as he is primarily focusing on the defensive side.

I think if he’s able to have a modest increase in production next year while stepping into a full time top 4 role, that bodes well for his future. Perhaps a Dermott-like progression.

I won’t be upset if he’s in the AHL all year next season and is ready to push for a spot on the big club in 19-20

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Lily is so young for the AHL, but he has good offensive tools. His offensive game may come a bit later with experience and maturity in his game as he is primarily focusing on the defensive side.

I think if he’s able to have a modest increase in production next year while stepping into a full time top 4 role, that bodes well for his future. Perhaps a Dermott-like progression.

I won’t be upset if he’s in the AHL all year next season and is ready to push for a spot on the big club in 19-20

My opinion on Lilly progression

2017-18: he did really well. Didn't look out of place and for a young 18yr old playing in the AHL that is saying alot

2018-19: starting to put everything together. Starts on top4 to start season in AHL but is moved up to top2 near the end of the season. Noticable jump in point production. MIGHT get some NHL time

2020-21: first honest chance to make team out of camp

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would think the Growlers pretty much just got their forwards based on the most recent AHL signings. Between the first batch of AHL signings and the ones that just happened recenty, they'll have 11 forwards to use. They may add a few ECHL vets for depth but in the ECHL you only use 10 or 11 forwards in a game.

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017
Does Liljegren have top pairing potential?

I actually believe he has potential to be one of the best defencemen in the league. That said, It's not a sure thing he'll get there. However, I would be VERY surprised if he doesn't turn out do be above average.

He is the missing piece in the team. Let us hope. :)

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I would think the Growlers pretty much just got their forwards based on the most recent AHL signings. Between the first batch of AHL signings and the ones that just happened recenty, they'll have 11 forwards to use. They may add a few ECHL vets for depth but in the ECHL you only use 10 or 11 forwards in a game.

Do the Leafs still have some sort of affiliation with the Orlando Solar Bears?

ie. Can they send a full team to the Growlers & 5-10 to the Bears?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Do the Leafs still have some sort of affiliation with the Orlando Solar Bears?

ie. Can they send a full team to the Growlers & 5-10 to the Bears?

No to the first. Not officially.

But yes, they can still send people to other ECHL teams. It has happened a few times, but usually with guys who were doing poorly. They'll have enough space for everyone on the Growlers if they want them there. They currently have 11 forwards, and I think 10 play every game. There will be call ups once in a while, so it is easy for everyone to get ice time, even with some ECHL vets in the lineup. Most of those vets are not going to be playing over the prospects.

Also remember that some of the guys we signed on AHL deals are already 25 or 26. They will probably be the vets for the Growlers, so they may not even sign many guys besides some depth guys to play once injuries or call ups happen.

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I think so. There's the offensive upside, solid size, the skating, and the smarts. Just needs maturity and refinement in his game IMO.

This is a big year for him imo. He needs to have a huge NHL summer. Take the reins of the Marlies next year and repeat the Calder Cup.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
No to the first. Not officially.

But yes, they can still send people to other ECHL teams. It has happened a few times, but usually with guys who were doing poorly. They'll have enough space for everyone on the Growlers if they want them there. They currently have 11 forwards, and I think 10 play every game. There will be call ups once in a while, so it is easy for everyone to get ice time, even with some ECHL vets in the lineup. Most of those vets are not going to be playing over the prospects.

Also remember that some of the guys we signed on AHL deals are already 25 or 26. They will probably be the vets for the Growlers, so they may not even sign many guys besides some depth guys to play once injuries or call ups happen.

Okay thanks for the info.

I didn't think that it would make much sense for them to have more than a handful of players in the ECHL that they actually want to put time and effort into developing.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
Was I the only one who thought Alex Gudbransson celebrating the calder cup win was really akward and weird? 3 AHL games and no playoff games and goes crazy like he did anything at all for that win?

I know he wasn't the only one but was the most crazy one IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad