Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition - Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
just guessing and hopefully i dont get trolled by the usual guy in here
  • Rosen ~ possibly NHL ready
  • Borgman ~ possibly NHL ready
  • Engvall ~ maybe sees some NHL next season
  • Timashov ~ a couple years away
  • Grundstrom~ a couple years away
  • ~
  • Liljegren ~ a couple years away
  • Sandin~ 2/3 years away
  • Lindgren~ 2/3 years away

You forgot Holmberg!!! ;) I agree with your list though! Only tweaked i'd make is putting Liljegren in the same category as Engvall.

Reactions: Maple Leafs

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
197796.jpg
Goalie Prospect Update:

None of Zachary Bouthillier, Ian Scott or Joseph Woll have played since last weekend, so there is no update. Woll is starting tonight at 7pm, and both Bouthillier and Ian Scott are expected to start tomorrow night.

Reactions: Lauro and Cor

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
At the stealheads game checking out SDA. not impressed at his intensity or give a shit meter. However hes shown some skill on pp.

Dubas is in the house aswell. He cant be too impressed

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Goalie Prospect Update:

None of Zachary Bouthillier, Ian Scott or Joseph Woll have played since last weekend, so there is no update. Woll is starting tonight at 7pm, and both Bouthillier and Ian Scott are expected to start tomorrow night.

Update on the Non Update:

Joseph Woll isn’t playing for BC tonight

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Scoring isn’t a problem, stopping it is.
Must be getting hammered at even strength.

Though quiet, lots of guys are producing well. Hopefully the D tightens up along with the tending.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Scoring isn’t a problem, stopping it is.
Must be getting hammered at even strength.

Though quiet, lots of guys are producing well. Hopefully the D tightens up along with the tending.

I have been watching the Marlies for a while, and have been seriously watching them the past ~5 years. I have never seen a defense look as atrocious as the one we are deploying right now. It looks like that game between Germany and Brazil where Germany made it look like Brazil did not even have anyone on the field. It looks the same way right now, except the Marlies have the added benefit of gift-wrapping extra chances by turning it over as well. Borgman has been especially terrible.

Also Glass has been awful. Guy does not even look like he's played in net before. Terrible positioning and not even the athletic ability or reflexes to make up for it. He looks like the type of guy who casually plays in beer league right now, and I would say he's been the number 1 contributor to any loss in which he's been in net. Kaskisuo has been miles better, and he has not even looked that great himself. He reminds me of Bibeau with maybe slightly better positioning. Kaskisuo has been getting a lot of bad luck with bounces, his defense is doing him absolutely no favours, and he is making some huge saves, but there have been times where his positioning has not been that great and he has giving up some weak goals that he would want back. He's pretty athletic, but not enough to make up for some of his blunders. It could just be he's having the same thing last year as he did with Chicago (AHL). They too were brutal to start and his defense was doing Kaskisuo no favours (they were like by far the worst team in the league for the first handful of games Kaskisuo had to play), but he and his team eventually figured things out and finished 1st in their division in the end. So maybe he's just the AHL version of Andersen and he'll trend upwards. If we had a better goalie than Glass and a defense that actually looks like they know how to play hockey, we'd probably be fine in net. However, Kaskisuo would need to play like an Andersen in the AHL if we want any chance at a Calder Cup.

The thing is, he's injured indefinitely now so it does not even matter how he's doing. It's on Glass and McAdam now, and that's not going to be good. Glass was better in the Rochester game, but that game should have easily been his and he still lost. I hope to see McAdam get a chance because I doubt he could do much worse than Glass right now. Maybe McAdam can surprise and actually do well, because this is probably the best chance he is ever going to get (considering all he has to beat is a terrible, old veteran goalie on an AHL contract who the Marlies probably don't even want to use much right now). Besides that, yes the defense needs to tighten up but I want more from the forwards too. They are no where near where they should be at right now, especially defensively.

Hartford is doing very well this year, but it could be a good chance for the Marlies to start turning things around at home and in general. They need to have a good game and get a win.

Reactions: DarkKnight

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Any update on where Sandin is going yet? Our Greyhounds are off to a surprisingly hot start and have 3 likely Canadian WJC players.. adding Sandin could turn us into a dark house favorite.
I think they probably would like to get his feet wet in the AHL and see how he does. Losing the time to injury is unfortunate but maybe the only thing that is leaving the door open to the OHL imo. Also not sure if he would rather go back to Sweden but I would rather the AHL and if not then down to the OHL.
Basically we have no idea.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Any update on where Sandin is going yet? Our Greyhounds are off to a surprisingly hot start and have 3 likely Canadian WJC players.. adding Sandin could turn us into a dark house favorite.

Probably at least another week or two before he's in a game. Sprained thumbs take a while to heal.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Man, SDA. Not scoring as much as one would hope from a D+1 (yet), and worst +/- on his team to pile it on. What on earth happened -- he looked so good in camp.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Man, SDA. Not scoring as much as one would hope from a D+1 (yet), and worst +/- on his team to pile it on. What on earth happened -- he looked so good in camp.
Saw him live last night. Not impressive at all. Very passive play, didnt engage, didnt have any interest in turning the puck over, didnt play with speed off of the rush. Really only was effective when a linemate got him the puck in the offensive zone. He looked disinterested in the first half of the game. Surprisingly enough Dubas showed up in the second half and he seemed to slightly pick it up. Theres obvious skill and when he had the puck he actually did remind me somewhat of Marner. If I was the Leafs I'd sit him down and just show him tape of marner in junior. Cant imagine Dubas was happy to have made that trip last night

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Saw him live last night. Not impressive at all. Very passive play, didnt engage, didnt have any interest in turning the puck over, didnt play with speed off of the rush. Really only was effective when a linemate got him the puck in the offensive zone. He looked disinterested in the first half of the game. Surprisingly enough Dubas showed up in the second half and he seemed to slightly pick it up. Theres obvious skill and when he had the puck he actually did remind me somewhat of Marner. If I was the Leafs I'd sit him down and just show him tape of marner in junior. Cant imagine Dubas was happy to have made that trip last night

That's unfortunate. Hopefully he's just a slow starter and can turn things around. I was hoping the lack of points was just him starting to focus on his play away from the puck a bit more but with lowest +/- on the team that doesn't seem likely.

I thought he seemed to have good forecheck and hustle in him during camp and that's what got him the ELC. Maybe he feels he just needs to go through the motions until the AHL now -- but I sure hope not.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Liljegren, Engvall and Grundstrom could all see time this year depending on preformance and injuries to the main roster. I think Liljegren specifically can come up like Dermott and make the team on the second half of this year. Grundstrom and Engvall could both make the team next season.

Sandin, it depends on how this season goes when he’s back from his injury and where he plays. If he plays in the OHL, he’ll likely spend next season in the AHL to learn the “pro” game. If he plays this year in the AHL or even the SHL, has a good year, a good summer, and comes to camp ready, he could challenge for a spot next season, especially if Gardiner is no longer around. More likely 20-21 season however
Dermott was knocking at the door coming out of camp last year. I see no analogous situation with Lil, and will be completely stunned if the scenario you posit happens. He so obviously isn't ready, not sure why people can't see that. If we have a slew of injuries, maybe he gets called up, apart from that enjoy the AHL kid, that's home for now. And that's okay.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
That's unfortunate. Hopefully he's just a slow starter and can turn things around. I was hoping the lack of points was just him starting to focus on his play away from the puck a bit more but with lowest +/- on the team that doesn't seem likely.

I thought he seemed to have good forecheck and hustle in him during camp and that's what got him the ELC. Maybe he feels he just needs to go through the motions until the AHL now -- but I sure hope not.

The worst part and maybe the best part at the same time was that his biggest issue was effort and hustle. The skill and tools were there, just seems a little immature. Maybe something that can change with time.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lindgren got hurt yesterday, but if I am reading this correctly, he is fine.

Swedish defender Jesper Lindgren got a reel on his leg, and Lindgren was reluctant to change the bench. Moments later, Lindgren leaned to the side of the dressing room and did not return to the match.
- He blocked three shots, but the third was too much. It was a shock, but we believe he is coming next week, thought coach Antti Pennanen .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad