Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition - Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Anyone else think if after maybe 20 more games pass and neither Johnsson or Ennis solidify that fourth line winger spot maybe we give Trevor Moore or Mason Marchment a shot? Both have looked good in the handful of games they’ve played this season.

Waive Gauthier and Ennis, call up Moore and Marchment. Leivo with Matthews and Kapanen. Marleau with Kadri and Brown. Lindholm with Moore and Marchment. Johnsson scratched.

I’m down.

Reactions: Dude Wheres Makar

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Nooooo wayyy..

Well the Marlies should have a good RD group now. Liljegren, Loverde, Corrado, Subban and possibly Holl. It's just too bad that Rosen is really the only good LD the Marlies have right now, and it does not look like Marincin is going to be able to join and help out. Borgman needs to turn things around, and Nielsen would be fine on the 3rd pairing if Borgman was a lot better on the 2nd pairing.

With Holl in the NHL for the foreseeable future (aka until Nylander signs), the Marlies should rotate the 4 RD they have equally (especially since Liljegren and Loverde are not playing up to their expected standards just yet). Continue to rely upon Rosen, Borgman and Nielsen as your top 3 LD, but keep Cumiskey around as your 4th LD. It's not a big deal if he does not get into games all that much given his age. Besides, there is no salary cap in the AHL and it's not like they can't afford to give him a decent AHL salary to make it worth his while. Release Sproul or sign him to an AHL deal similar to Cumiskey and send him to the Growlers with Jardine. They'd form a pretty good top pairing in the ECHL and would still be solid options to call up in case of injury. I am sure the Growlers wouldn't complain in the meantime, especially since the Marlies would pay for much of the costs associated with their salaries.

Assuming Holl comes back (since that makes the most sense), the Marlies may need to move a body off of the roster though. 9+ guys capable of playing everyday (more or less anyways) in the AHL should be enough for Keefe and Co. to turn this putrid start around.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Franky boy is back. trying to work his way up to press box guy, best press box in the league one of the other ways the leafs flex their financial muscle

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Depending on how Corrado does, I wouldn't at all be shocked if Dubas gives him an NHL deal this spring/summer

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Oh god Frankie Corrado, still remember idiots like Jeffler so upset we would never put him in the line up. The one player I'm so glad Babcock was right about.

Reactions: Cor

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Oh god Frankie Corrado, still remember idiots like Jeffler so upset we would never put him in the line up. The one player I'm so glad Babcock was right about.

I don't think it was that he wasn't in the lineup, it was he was NEVER going to be in our lineup so just waive him already. Similar with leivo but he is playing for now

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't think it was that he wasn't in the lineup, it was he was NEVER going to be in our lineup so just waive him already. Similar with leivo but he is playing for now

But like... why?

We extra players. Corrado was that player. We didn’t suffer that man injuries so there weren’t any chances for him to play.

People freaking out for no reason. Just like when Panik was traded.

Heck, Leivo is only on pace for 18 points

This fanbase loves to freak out over irrelevant players

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
McGregor quietly having a strong start to his final bid for an elc. One of the better two way C's in the O, the PP production is really all that is missing at this point.

In the passed over category, Middleton won an AHL contract and seemingly a full-time job with the Barracuda out of camp, 2 points in 6 games. I get not offering an elc, but with Neilsen stagnating and Sam Jardine getting AHL reps I don't see how an organization starving for defensively strong play couldn't find this guy a spot

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just a note for comments regarding, Leivo, Gauthier, Johnsson.... they haven't been contributing offensively, but they sure have been our best possession players. Certainly that is what you hope for, your 4th line to maintain possession, and chip in once in a while... and while they haven't been going in enough yet, they will eventually.

DqH0ufiW4AE4Yab.jpg

Reactions: Lauro

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
But like... why?

We extra players. Corrado was that player. We didn’t suffer that man injuries so there weren’t any chances for him to play.

People freaking out for no reason. Just like when Panik was traded.

Heck, Leivo is only on pace for 18 points

This fanbase loves to freak out over irrelevant players

I guess not liking seeing a young player being forced to sit through no fault of his own other than the team decided to claim him on waivers. Leivo signed a deal and was still in the pressbox so its a little different situation

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Just a note for comments regarding, Leivo, Gauthier, Johnsson.... they haven't been contributing offensively, but they sure have been our best possession players. Certainly that is what you hope for, your 4th line to maintain possession, and chip in once in a while... and while they haven't been going in enough yet, they will eventually.

DqH0ufiW4AE4Yab.jpg

Matthews and Marleau missing Willys puck possession it looks like

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
McGregor quietly having a strong start to his final bid for an elc. One of the better two way C's in the O, the PP production is really all that is missing at this point.

In the passed over category, Middleton won an AHL contract and seemingly a full-time job with the Barracuda out of camp, 2 points in 6 games. I get not offering an elc, but with Neilsen stagnating and Sam Jardine getting AHL reps I don't see how an organization starving for defensively strong play couldn't find this guy a spot

Yeah, I would have liked to see Middleton get an AHL deal to spend time with the Marlies and Growlers, but I don't think anyone will lose sleep over it.

Ryan McGregor has 10 points in 11 games. I'd still like to see a bit more from a D+2 player. I imagine we'll look to give him an AHL deal. We could use him in the system at the very least

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

DqH0ufiW4AE4Yab.jpg
Eye test shows me our top 6 hasn't been good enough either. Not surprised to see these numbers. Their success was heavily powerplay related early. They are struggling right now, Marleau will need to move to the 3rd line with Kadri when Nylander is back imo. Nylander back on Matthews' right side, move Kapanen to the left.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Ryan McGregor has 10 points in 11 games. I'd still like to see a bit more from a D+2 player. I imagine we'll look to give him an AHL deal. We could use him in the system at the very least

Again though, PP production is the only thing that is missing. 9 of those 10 points are at evens or shorthanded, which for a guy that is playing matchup minutes with nobodies on his wing is pretty damn impressive, especially when you consider that even at peak projection he's not going to see a second of PP ice at the NHL level. For a guy that projects as most as a PKing 3C I'd say thriving at evens and on the PK is more important than having a slightly flashier EP profile.

Food for thought some other highly touted 99 born draftees among the Top OHL c's in faceoffs taken
R.McLeod 6 in 10
B.Jones 6 in 12
J. Studnicka 10 in 10

Looking at the same 4 last year
Mcleod 43 in 68
Jones 50 in 69
Studnicka 47 in 66

McGregor 30 in 50

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Don't ask me. At the very least we could have given him an AHL deal. My guess is that he did not have a great chance at ice time (Nielsen likely still beats him out) and he got to play with his brother so that was the winning factor. Same with Jack Walker. Got to play closer to home, and he wasn't going to end up in the AHL here. Stephen Desrocher who knows? Maybe he's done with hockey and just wants to go to school now. He would have been good enough for an AHL deal and would probably challenge Nielsen for a top 6 job on the Marlies. Mattinen maybe wanted to play out his OHL eligibility with the hopes of getting an ELC from someone. Then he has the option of AHL deal or school as well.

McGregor will be an interesting decision. The Marlies will likely be losing all of their centers next year outside of maybe Brooks. Cracknell and Mueller are pending UFA's. Jooris has already lost his center job and is now mostly playing on the 4th line RW. He too is a pending UFA. Gagner is only a loan. Greening plays some center but is on an AHL deal for one year only. There is definitely a chance for McGregor or some other young center to earn a 4C or even a 3C job next year. I think the main thing is he's going to need to put up more than a PPG (possibly into the 70's or 80's in points) and be a top defensive player in the OHL to earn an ELC, and who knows if he's going to take an AHL deal. If he does, then by all means bring him in.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Can someone explain to me what we are doing with Rasmus Sandin? I thought he was being returned to Rogle? He hasnt gotten into a game this season, and he was at the Marlies Halloween party. Is he playing in the AHL?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Can someone explain to me what we are doing with Rasmus Sandin? I thought he was being returned to Rogle? He hasnt gotten into a game this season, and he was at the Marlies Halloween party. Is he playing in the AHL?

Injured still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad