Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition - Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Who do you have in mind?

From the top of my head...

The Flyers have 3 minor league goaltenders. Stolarz, Lyon and Hart. I assume Lyon could be someone they want to loan.

Carolina also has Nedeljkovic, Booth and Helvig (currently in the ECHL). Maybe they wouldn't mind Helvig getting AHL time, especially if they waive someone like Mrazek or McBackup and they clear.

Vegas has Dansk, Lagacé and Fucale (ECHL).

Calgary has McDonald, Parsons, Gillies and Schneider in the minors.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
From the top of my head...

The Flyers have 3 minor league goaltenders. Stolarz, Lyon and Hart. I assume Lyon could be someone they want to loan.

Carolina also has Nedeljkovic, Booth and Helvig (currently in the ECHL). Maybe they wouldn't mind Helvig getting AHL time, especially if they waive someone like Mrazek or McBackup and they clear.

Vegas has Dansk, Lagacé and Fucale (ECHL).

Calgary has McDonald, Parsons, Gillies and Schneider in the minors.

The unfortunate thing is that in many of these cases, the Leafs might as well just use McAdam. The ones guaranteed to be better than him are not going to be loaned to us.

The Growlers just signed Mario Culina, so it looks like McAdam is the plan for the Marlies for the foreseeable future. Might as well see if he can swim in the AHL as a backup until someone goes on waivers. That is likely the plan with him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The unfortunate thing is that in many of these cases, the Leafs might as well just use McAdam. The ones guaranteed to be better than him are not going to be loaned to us.

The Growlers just signed Mario Culina, so it looks like McAdam is the plan for the Marlies for the foreseeable future. Might as well see if he can swim in the AHL as a backup until someone goes on waivers. That is likely the plan with him.

If the loaning team thinks their goaltender could use quality starts, they will 100% loan that goaltender. Literally what the Leafs did with Kaskisuo.

I'm sure the Marlies will try out Glass and McAdam for the short-term but if it doesn't work out, loans are quite frequent in that league for that reason.

With that said, Glass and McAdam is decent in terms of quality so it's not that big of a deal.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Re goalies: Ian Scott has been named as one of the WHL goalies for the upcoming series against the Russian juniors.
McGregor to team OHL for a single game as well.

Both OA's with big nights, 4 assists for Durzi, goal and 2 for Hollowell

Reactions: Jeypic

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Do we have any chance at signing Dakota Joshua?

Yes. The question is whether the Leafs even bother giving him a chance? His production is not inspiring, and I watched him in his first game this year and he did not look like a senior NHL draft pick should. Maybe someone who would get an AHL deal, but that's about it. O'Connell looked more impressive to me, especially given he's a Freshman there.

Maybe a worse team gives him a shot on an ELC, but he's going to need to go well over a PPG and take some major leaps elsewhere to be given a serious shot with the Leafs I think.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If he has a good season near a PPG... I'd say there is a good chance... We need better center depth, and Joshua brings much needed size.

The Leafs signed about 8 centers who are probably as good or better his age or younger and have them on the Growlers right now.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
is there a time or game limit, on whether/when/etc Sandin can go back to the OHL from the Marlies?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Top minutes in the OHL allow him to round out his offensive game more whereas the AHL would allow him to get used to playing against men. Hard decision.

I saw on draft day that the big criticism/observation about him was that he was being bounced around physically while impressing otherwise. I think that reason alone suggests it might be a little too early for the AHL.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I'm looking forward to the next Swedish invasion of Engvall, Grundstrom, Liljegren and Sandin.

What do you guys think is the earliest we could see these guys make the Leafs?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm looking forward to the next Swedish invasion of Engvall, Grundstrom, Liljegren and Sandin.

Earliest:
Engvall: 2019-2020
Grundstrom: 2020-2021
Liljegren: 2019-2020
Sandin: 2020-2021

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Liljegren, Engvall and Grundstrom could all see time this year depending on preformance and injuries to the main roster. I think Liljegren specifically can come up like Dermott and make the team on the second half of this year. Grundstrom and Engvall could both make the team next season.

Sandin, it depends on how this season goes when he’s back from his injury and where he plays. If he plays in the OHL, he’ll likely spend next season in the AHL to learn the “pro” game. If he plays this year in the AHL or even the SHL, has a good year, a good summer, and comes to camp ready, he could challenge for a spot next season, especially if Gardiner is no longer around. More likely 20-21 season however

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Goalie Prospect Update:

None of Zachary Bouthillier, Ian Scott or Joseph Woll have played since last weekend, so there is no update. Woll is starting tonight at 7pm, and both Bouthillier and Ian Scott are expected to start tomorrow night.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

To me the biggest question mark is Liljegren. We want him to be that strong offensive D that he can be, but he needs to be around 0.6 PPG in the AHL at his age, and currently he is at 0.2PPG... small sample set of course, but I'd like to see his offensive confidence to be high, before making the transition. I'd like to see him down in the AHL, until such time as his potential there is realized, and then moved up. He's been learning the defensive side, and has done pretty good with that, but needs that offensive.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

just guessing
  • Rosen ~ possibly NHL ready
  • Borgman ~ possibly NHL ready
  • Engvall ~ maybe sees some NHL next season
  • Timashov ~ a couple years away
  • Grundstrom~ a couple years away
  • ~
  • Liljegren ~ a couple years away
  • Sandin~ 2/3 years away
  • Lindgren~ 2/3 years away

Last edited by a moderator:
Status