Prospect Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I was heading to medicine hat to visit family put on the tigers game friday, and shinkaruk had 2 goals. It sounded like he was constantly on the ice with the puck, he was a constant threat, they mentioned him in behind the net alot and in corners, they issued a penalty him to it sounded like while he was in the corner battling and his team stuck up for him as well as it appeared a fight broke out after.

My only concern with him down in the whl is he may get lazy feeling a lack of challenge. I agree he may need to get a bit stronger, but from what people say here is he looks strong enough in the corners in the whl. At what point may nhl games do him more good so he can set the bar higher...

Has that ever happened to a top prospect?

Overcoming complacency is an important skill to learn.

Shinkaruk is every young and still has elements of his game he can improve on... and if he has a decent coach, hopefully he will be challenged to do so.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Shinkaruk is every young and still has elements of his game he can improve on... and if he has a decent coach, hopefully he will be challenged to do so.

If he's as hardworking as they say and as he seems, then he'll no doubt be trying to improve his game even further.

arsmaster*

If he's as hardworking as they say and as he seems, then he'll no doubt be trying to improve his game even further.

The only issue there, is things look so easy for Shinkaruk at the junior level. He can take over games, he can also work the ice to have more time than he'll ever get in Pro hockey.

I was/am on board for him playing this final year of junior, but I can see where too much junior could hurt in terms of learning awareness and positioning.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
The only issue there, is things look so easy for Shinkaruk at the junior level. He can take over games, he can also work the ice to have more time than he'll ever get in Pro hockey.

I was/am on board for him playing this final year of junior, but I can see where too much junior could hurt in terms of learning awareness and positioning.

Well. I don't think there's anyone out there who is going to attempt to argue that junior hockey is an appropriate place for a player to learn to play against NHL opposition, or learn to make quick reads and decisions in a way that one has to at the NHL level, or anything like that.

Nov 1, 2011

I think people would argue that Ryan Getzlaf played like he was bored through a lot of junior. He is still a player that takes nights off in the NHL.

Shinkaruk seems to have a completely different personality though.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Happens to top prospects all the time... reason you see at least 1 top 10 pick bust almost every year. Of course it doesn't look it'll happen to Shinkaruk as all reports (thus far) seem to suggest his hockey IQ is one of his strengths and the only reason he slipped was due to his size and some concerns about his 2 way game (and rather or not it'll develop) tho i doubt too many thought he would slip into the 20s (yet alone all the way to us).

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Looked at the list and it seems like the writers decided to put all the graduated prospects there because they don't know enough prospects to fill the space.

how did jensen make the list of Shinkaruk? I guess they don't have much room for HM

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Ben Hutton had an assist in an exhibition 5-1 drubbing of Dalhousie this weekend.

I'm hoping Hutton shows progress this season - strength, size, and scoring. He seems to have the potential to be a very good draft pick.

S_C

arsmaster*

Alert. Alert.

BigTen network is broadcasting hockey this Friday.

Penn State vs Army

We'll get our first look at our forgotten 2013 draft pick Mike Williamson.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Looked at the list and it seems like the writers decided to put all the graduated prospects there because they don't know enough prospects to fill the space.

Yeah, it's a weird list. 11 of the top 20 guys were NHL regulars last year. The Calder winner is listed as a 'prospect'.

Would have been better to, for this year only, move the cut-off for graduation down to 40 games, to get rid of those guys who obviously would have graduated if not for the lockout. This isn't a 'prospect' list at all.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009

Huh, and I thought you were against changing that CHL-AHL rule. If you could send him to Utica right now, would you? Just curious.

That said, I think as long as you're not quite ready for the NHL there's always some things you can afford to work on. I don't watch enough of him to tell what those things might be though.

arsmaster*

Huh, and I thought you were against changing that CHL-AHL rule. If you could send him to Utica right now, would you? Just curious.

That said, I think as long as you're not quite ready for the NHL there's always some things you can afford to work on. I don't watch enough of him to tell what those things might be though.

You're right. I don't believe players should move on from junior while eligible.

I was just noting that it could be an issue.

Heck, it's mentioned in many Shinkaruk reports. He's been so talented at every level he hasn't had to change or develop his positioning.

I think hunter probably went back with specific challenges to work on, and being as driven as he is, he will work diligently at them.

The Tigers actually look quite good to start. He might have a longer season than I previously thought (WHL east is wide open).

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I would like to see teams able to put one underage kid in the AHL a year. There just seems like a few kids could really bennifit from this.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
I would like to see teams able to put one underage kid in the AHL a year. There just seems like a few kids could really bennifit from this.

Yeah, it's been debated before but I think it'd be interesting to see. Much too good for junior, not quite good enough for the NHL yet. The CHL literally has no power to stop it if the NHL wanted to change that rule.

arsmaster*

Yeah, it's been debated before but I think it'd be interesting to see. Much too good for junior, not quite good enough for the NHL yet. The CHL literally has no power to stop it if the NHL wanted to change that rule.

I've never in all my years saw some kid that was too good for the CHL but couldn't hack the NHL. I've seen a lot of good kids go back, and I don't think you can provide me an instance where it hurt the player.

I think it's a copout to say kids are "too good", if that was the case their teams would always win.

It also elongates the ELC, if they were playing AHL, they'd be losing a year....for what it's worth.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I've never in all my years saw some kid that was too good for the CHL but couldn't hack the NHL. I've seen a lot of good kids go back, and I don't think you can provide me an instance where it hurt the player.

I think it's a copout to say kids are "too good", if that was the case their teams would always win.

It also elongates the ELC, if they were playing AHL, they'd be losing a year....for what it's worth.

I can't speak for Junior kids, not making the NHL, but I know a few kids that were held back at lower levels and I think it hurt them, I remember them just dominating and not having to really work.

I also think for some of the kids, it may just slow down their progression. Tough to give examples on something when you can' see both sides. I also think sending maybe at most 30 kids up would not hurt Junior hockey too much, and be an easier transition for a lot of kids.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
Yup, both of his fights are up on Hockey Fights.

For the lazy: Anton vs Myles Bell (NJ prospect)

PS: Almost everytime I have typed Cederholm's name without thinking about it, I've typed Cedarholm instead. He is destined to be the new Bieska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad