Prospect Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betamax*

Fully expecting him to completely light it up. The way he kept improving during the pre-season was incredibly encouraging to me.

Still hard to believe we ended up with both Horvat and Shinkaruk from that draft.

The upcoming WJHC will be the first time since Hodgson was involved that I will be playing close attention to. Potentially having not one, not two but three Canucks' prospects on the team is probably unprecedented.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Fully expecting him to completely light it up. The way he kept improving during the pre-season was incredibly encouraging to me.

Still hard to believe we ended up with both Horvat and Shinkaruk from that draft.

Also nice that he's able to score at this level without Domi so there is no confusion as to the source of his increased pace. That line is gonna be nearly unstoppable once Domi's back from suspension.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Apparently McNally's suspension also includes the first 7 games of the season, so he won't even play until like November 15th. What an absolute waste of a prime year of development.

Source?

Not that I doubt you, but I couldn't find the source on my own at Go Harvard, the Crimson, and the other usual suspects. Being very familiar with McNally's school, I'm ashamed of my second-rate sleuthing :(

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The upcoming WJHC will be the first time since Hodgson was involved that I will be playing close attention to. Potentially having not one, not two but three Canucks' prospects on the team is probably unprecedented.

What are the chances of all 3 being on the WJC team? Would love to see them all make it.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010

Shinkaruk was a gift but we did have to give up something big to get Horvat.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Source?

Not that I doubt you, but I couldn't find the source on my own at Go Harvard, the Crimson, and the other usual suspects. Being very familiar with McNally's school, I'm ashamed of my second-rate sleuthing :(

Mentioned on Tyson Giurato's twitter.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
10/5/13

WHL:

Portland 3 Kelowna 6
-Anton Cederholm - 0 points, 15 PIMS (fighting major + game misconduct), -1

OHL:

Guelph 2 London 7
-Bo Horvat - 2 goals, 1 assist, Even
-Miles Liberati - 0 points, +1

Sault Ste. Marie 4 Belleville 0
-Brendan Gaunce - 0 points, -2
-Jordan Subban - 0 points, 2 PIMS, -3

SHL:

Brynas 3 Lulea 1
-Anton Rodin - 2 assists, 1 shot, +1, 17:19 TOI, 1 hit (Yes, the SHL boxscores are pretty detailed)

Note: Rodin played on the top line for Brynas with Greg Scott and Andreas Thuresson.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I was heading to medicine hat to visit family put on the tigers game friday, and shinkaruk had 2 goals. It sounded like he was constantly on the ice with the puck, he was a constant threat, they mentioned him in behind the net alot and in corners, they issued a penalty him to it sounded like while he was in the corner battling and his team stuck up for him as well as it appeared a fight broke out after.

My only concern with him down in the whl is he may get lazy feeling a lack of challenge. I agree he may need to get a bit stronger, but from what people say here is he looks strong enough in the corners in the whl. At what point may nhl games do him more good so he can set the bar higher...

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I was heading to medicine hat to visit family put on the tigers game friday, and shinkaruk had 2 goals. It sounded like he was constantly on the ice with the puck, he was a constant threat, they mentioned him in behind the net alot and in corners, they issued a penalty him to it sounded like while he was in the corner battling and his team stuck up for him as well as it appeared a fight broke out after.

My only concern with him down in the whl is he may get lazy feeling a lack of challenge. I agree he may need to get a bit stronger, but from what people say here is he looks strong enough in the corners in the whl. At what point may nhl games do him more good so he can set the bar higher...

He's eligible for the AHL next year, so I don't think it's really a huge concern.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Thinking about Schroeder's development by the team, the thing that holds him back is largely what will hold Gaunce back: Each player always looks to slow the game down. So if the team cannot instill a method for Schroeder to shake this instinct, why would they be able to do it for Gaunce?

It's interesting from a development perspective. Which player shakes this instinct to include more pace to their game, and how does it happen? Without VAN's developmental influence, or without? Looking at Schroeder's game from the lower leagues, development has already added to his defensive game. I wonder if the team's pro development will impact him further...

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I don't know the answer but it was interesting that Tortorella specifically said he didn't like the pace of Gaunce's game during the pre-season. On the whole, my impression of Tortorella has been that he has a much keener eye for talent than AV. Better at understanding what he has in each player even if they don't quite match his ideal.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't know the answer but it was interesting that Tortorella specifically said he didn't like the pace of Gaunce's game during the pre-season. On the whole, my impression of Tortorella has been that he has a much keener eye for talent than AV. Better at understanding what he has in each player even if they don't quite match his ideal.

I'm eager to see what he does with Schroeder for that reason. AV assessed Schroeder and deemed Ebbett to be more useful. A lot fans disagreed. Now we have Schroeder under a different set of eyes, with a clean slate, so I'm wondering if Torts sees real value with him. Something that he can develop.

If he saw that Gaunce had to increase his "pace", he must be seeing the same things with Schroeder. Curious to find out what he does to address that in a younger player. The changes we see now in Schroeder will be heavily influenced by Tortorella. Let's see if they work.

Mudshark50

Nov 25, 2005
NorthVancouver

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
I'm eager to see what he does with Schroeder for that reason. AV assessed Schroeder and deemed Ebbett to be more useful. A lot fans disagreed. Now we have Schroeder under a different set of eyes, with a clean slate, so I'm wondering if Torts sees real value with him. Something that he can develop.

If he saw that Gaunce had to increase his "pace", he must be seeing the same things with Schroeder. Curious to find out what he does to address that in a younger player. The changes we see now in Schroeder will be heavily influenced by Tortorella. Let's see if they work.

On the subject of increasing the pace, it was interesting that Henrik was either stating or inferring (I forget which) on After Hours that Torts wanted the Sedins to increase their pace of play. He did state that when they get the puck, they tend to slow down (and then make plays with it), but that maybe they could speed up some, not so much in skating speed but in making quicker plays. I thinks it's an across-the-board message from Torts, and if the Sedins buy into it, the likes of Schroeder, Sestito, Gaunce, and everyone else will try like hell to do it too.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I've gotta agree with this, the powerplay, and 5-on-5 as well, has been moving the puck so much quicker than when AV was here. There are very quick snap passes or return's and the puck movement is great. There's also always a player covering so that we can support the puck carrier and retrieve the puck in the event of a turnover.

Not sure if this is Gulutzan's work or Torts but I'm liking it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad