Prospect Info: Prospect Discussion: Even Our Germans We Export To Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Skating problem is usually the mark for a steal.... Mark Stone was a bad skater... so was Brayden Point.

Time to develop this guy's skating.

A winger with bad skating is more likely to succeed than a defenseman with bad skating.

I remember watching Danny Groulx at the prospect camps in traverse city. More than a point per game QMJHL defenseman. He even had 100+ points in a season once. After we signed him I was super excited to see him at the prospect camp in Troy and the prospect tournament in Traverse City.
Danny Groulx at eliteprospects.com

The shot was there. The passing was there. He made good reads offensively and defensively. But his skating really kept him back and made him a liability when defending the rush. He was ECHL average on a good day. That is the guy that Cotton reminds me of.

Reactions: Killerjas

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Skating problem is usually the mark for a steal.... Mark Stone was a bad skater... so was Brayden Point.

Point was always praised for his skating. His 5'9" frame was the hang up.

Brayden Point: 2014 NHL Draft Prospect Profile
Brayden Point: Prospect Profile for Tampa Bay Lightning's 3rd-Round Pick
https://thehockeywriters.com/brayden-point-the-next-ones-2014-nhl-draft-prospect-profiles/

Brayden Point is a fast-skating and elusive forward who has proven that he can put the puck in the net on a consistent basis.
Worked well offensively, showing speed and excellent puck control. Made plays off the rush at top gear. Small but elusive, and able to slip through small cracks and duck under pressure.
Point plays a gritty, physical game. He’s an aggressive fore-checker and while he’s not a complete three-zone player yet, he’s no slouch. He’s got speed, determination and a great deal of offensive skill. He’s put up more points in the Canadian Hockey League over the past two years than all but the most elite prospects.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

More often than not, bad skaters never make it. Ouellet for example, Svech currently having issues. Abby was never a good skater, his knee injury did him in. the Caps had a number of bad skaters during their rebuild, Morrisson, Erskine (enforcer), Doig, and Jeff Schultz. They all dropped out of the league, though none of them had even a quarter of Clarke's offensive skills so not a direct comparison.

I can't imagine Clarke goes top 10 unless he commits to fixing his skating. It's not just his stride that bothers me, he can't use his outside edges at all. Tough to make the league turning and stopping on one foot when everyone else uses two.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Is that why the Lightning hired a power skating coach to rework is skating?

The woman behind some of the NHL's fastest teams

"Point wasn’t known for his speed when he was picked in the third round of the 2014 NHL draft. Three years later, the 5-foot-10 forward came within a tenth of a second of beating Connor McDavid in the fastest skater competition at the All-Star Game. Point tormented the Bruins’ top line with a ferocious forecheck as the best player in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

“He’s gone from average (skater) to elite,” Lightning scouting director Al Murray said.

“From acceptable to exceptional,” said Tim Hunter, Point’s junior coach in Moose Jaw."

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Is that why the Lightning hired a power skating coach to rework is skating?

The woman behind some of the NHL's fastest teams

"Point wasn’t known for his speed when he was picked in the third round of the 2014 NHL draft. Three years later, the 5-foot-10 forward came within a tenth of a second of beating Connor McDavid in the fastest skater competition at the All-Star Game. Point tormented the Bruins’ top line with a ferocious forecheck as the best player in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

“He’s gone from average (skater) to elite,” Lightning scouting director Al Murray said.

“From acceptable to exceptional,” said Tim Hunter, Point’s junior coach in Moose Jaw."
No idea, I don't work for the Lightning. Just going off his scouting report from when he was drafted, which all the reports stated his skating was one of his best attributes. Take it up with the scouting sites.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
No idea, I don't work for the Lightning. Just going off his scouting report from when he was drafted, which all the reports stated his skating was one of his best attributes. Take it up with the scouting sites.

I just cited you an actual comment from an executive with the team that drafted him that called him "average" as a starting point. His own juniors coach called him "passable" as a starting point. I'm just pointing out that your entire argument is founded on something that is contradicted by the people who are most familiar with Point and his abilities.

It's why you can't take scouting sites as the gospel when it comes to these prospects. One of the most discussed skaters in this upcoming draft is Brandt Clarke, look at what this report said about him...need I remind you of the lesson "don't believe everything you read on the internet"?

"Clarke’s game is based on his outstanding skating ability. This allows him to get forward in the offensive zone as well as join the rush, and still get back defensively. He has an outstanding first step and great acceleration. His ability to change speeds allows him to avoid forecheckers and get past defenders. His top-end speed is also very good. Clarke’s edgework and agility are elite. He can turn on a dime, and can also walk the line, opening up passing and shooting lanes in the offensive zone. Clarke could stand to get a bit stronger in his core though. This will help improve his balance and strength on his skates. It will help him to win battles in the defensive zone and clear the front of the net."

2021 NHL Draft #3: Brandt Clarke Scouting Report

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Maybe not too much is expected of him because he's a 7th round pick, but don't sleep on Chase Bradley. A buddy of mine that covers the USHL told me he has a lot of Blake Coleman in his game. Scrappy, mentally tough kid who will surprise you with his skill level. I had him follow Bradley for me because i picked him up last year in an EHM sim league that I'm in.

Good luck!

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Maybe not too much is expected of him because he's a 7th round pick, but don't sleep on Chase Bradley. A buddy of mine that covers the USHL told me he has a lot of Blake Coleman in his game. Scrappy, mentally tough kid who will surprise you with his skill level. I had him follow Bradley for me because i picked him up last year in an EHM sim league that I'm in.

Good luck!

LOVE Chase Bradley, he is a potential steal. Really stepped it up this year compared to last year where he barely got minutes. This is a guy that will go to college and I guess we will wait a couple of years and see how he turns out.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
He's in a spot where I think the AHL would be better for him, but I would not be discouraged if he went back to the CHL to get another year in and dominate.

That’s where I am at with him as well. I see both sides, so the fact the kid has options is great.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He's in a spot where I think the AHL would be better for him, but I would not be discouraged if he went back to the CHL to get another year in and dominate.

If the idea is Sebrango goes back to the OHL and works on his offense then I'm all for him going there. But I think that overall he'd benefit more from a full season in the AHL as the 4th to 6th defenseman there working on his defense and playing a chippy kind of game against pros.

Reactions: lilidk

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If the idea is Sebrango goes back to the OHL and works on his offense then I'm all for him going there. But I think that overall he'd benefit more from a full season in the AHL as the 4th to 6th defenseman there working on his defense and playing a chippy kind of game against pros.

He needs to work on his offensive game way more than his defensive game which was already pretty solid for the AHL last year. The guy basically never had the puck on his stick with Grand Rapids. Play 30 mins a night in the O , get some PP time and go pro from there. Hes had a taste of what its like and what he should work on.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
He was pretty good gfor the Griffs last year but he kept it really simple.
I think it might be better for his development to go back to jr and get to play on the PP and work on his offense.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Which website do you all use that organizes the prospects by position like this? This be super oldddd, hehe.

upload_2021-7-25_10-44-23.png

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Which website do you all use that organizes the prospects by position like this? This be super oldddd, hehe.

View attachment 456038
Cap friendly has a depth chart line up that gives a rough placement of guys in the system. Its not a ranking, but at least you can see whos there. Also, in the draft section of elite prospects you can sort by players picked by team each year so you can see everyone detroit has picked over the years

Reactions: FabricDetails
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad