Prospect Info: Prospect Discussion: Even Our Germans We Export To Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Very awkward vibe in that video, haha. But yes, very nice to see Wallinder join Rogle.

Yeah, the camera angle was kind of shit, but the message is good.

Cam Abbot is a hell of a coach over in Sweden and I love his style of attack attack attack. I think we saw it really helped Seider evolve from a guy we thought would just be a solid top pair defense only guy to THE guy. I'm hoping he can help Wallinder in the same way. That kid has a ton of tools and if he can put them all together then we've got a top 4 guy.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I believe this was posted in Jan (published date), but I would think we're higher than 7th OA now. Berggren isn't even mentioned among our Top5 or Key Adds, just a mention in the 2nd tier w/Mastro & co.

A few elite/near elite projected, some Top6F/Top4D projected, some bottom 6 & 3rd pairing + depth. Overall, very solid, wanna see more C prospects (RHS preferably).
(loosely ranked after 1-3)

Seider
Raymond
Veleno
Berggren
Johansson
Viro
Lindstrom
McIsaac
Wallinder
Niederbach
Sebrango
------------
+
Mastro
Hanas
Tyuatev?
T-Rex
Otto
some G
etc.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
How I see our top 10 (Zadina, Rasmussen and Givani Smith graduated), taken from the “Your team’s top prospects” thread

In tiers with what I expect they'll be if everything goes right.

1. Seider (Top Pair Defenseman, leaning closer to #1 than two. Our undisputed #1 imo. People hate this but I view him as a Modern Day Hatcher brother more than anything, only smarter and a better skating. Others see Suter, but I think he's more physical than that. Very, VERY strong for his age and has shown offensive instincts on the transition)

2. Lucas Raymond (Marner Light imo. Believe 65-75 point expectation is reasonable, maybe a peak at 80 peak

-Players I expect to make the NHL and be impact/good players.

3. Jon Berggren (top 6 forward. Expect him to be a slightly better Nyquist like player)
4. Albert Johansson (Smooth Skating Top 4 D with transition game. If all goes well think he could be an Edler caliber player)

-Next two I feel like 100% make NHL but unsure if they'll be anything more than good bottom 6 players.

5. Veleno (Mobile and defensively responsible middle 6 center. Offensive game may not translate, but is a near sure fire NHL player, even if just bottom 6 role due to his skating and defensive acumen. Best case we have a 50 point player similar to Larkin, worst case we have a prime Darren Helm. He'll be useful, just unsure if difference maker)
6. Niederbach (Lot of talent. Missed a year, but high IQ player. I personally view him as a Jarnkrok like player but may surprise.)

-Next 4 have high potential but very big BOOM/BUST potential. I would not be surprised if they became good NHL players or never make it.

7. Tuomisto (Second Pair D potential. Lots of tools to like. Could be a Ryan Sproul, could be a Braydon Coburn)
8. Wallinder (Same as Tuomisto, but to a greater extent. Insane physical gifts but toolbox developing.)
9. Soderblom (Very athletic big man. Shows he can score at the junior level, looks to have good hands. Very high top end potential. No real comparison)
10. Keith Petruzelli (Unquestionably the wings best goaltending prospect currently. Hobey Baker award finalist. Much like the previous 3, huge and with physical gifts).

Other prospects that I feel have NHL potential:

Jared McIssac: Injuries have taken toll on his NHL chances but still has innate talent. If he can catch back up to his development he'd be in the 7-8 tier.
Mastrosimone (scrappy secondary scoring winger potential. Plays much bigger than his size. Could be a Yanni Gourde like player)
Alex Cotton (wildcard and in my eyes underrated due to being an overager. Dude has been putting up very good points in WHL. May surprise)
Emil Viro (mobile defenseman. Could be good third paring transition defenseman)
Donovan Sebrango (Same. Physical bottom pairing D with snarl. Think Jon Merrill if all goes right)
Albin Grewe: Could be a physical force on a bottom 6. Plays with an edge, is unfortunately dirty. Surprisingly good hands, but IQ will limit him. Reminds me a bit of Dallas Drake in our 08 cup run or what Virtanen was supposed to be. Loves to initiate contact and hits anything that moves)
Gustav Lindstrom: Can see him "making" the NHL in a sense of playing 100 or so games, but will not be anything more than a 6/7 dman.

Besides that I do not have much hope of our other prospects turning into anything special.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
1. Seider (Top Pair Defenseman, leaning closer to #1 than two. Our undisputed #1 imo. People hate this but I view him as a Modern Day Hatcher brother more than anything, only smarter and a better skating. Others see Suter, but I think he's more physical than that. Very, VERY strong for his age and has shown offensive instincts on the transition)

I think he is a modern day Scott Stevens who I view as a lot better player than the Hatcher brothers. Mo isn't dirty, he is just mean, but it is predominately within the rulebook. While yes the rulebook changed post Stevens and so many of his hits are really questioned today, he was just mean and playing to the rulebook. A plus skater for how big and strong he was, he could chip in offensively. But you always thought of Stevens in his own zone first, how tough he was to play against, it is what Mo does a lot when he plays.

Now with the way he tilts the ice there is another elite D-man that you could name, he had a ton more offense and a heavier shot but maybe Mo homeruns completely into Rob Blake. Either way the names we are invoking is what makes Seider just so exciting. Cannot wait to get him in the winged wheel next year. This is about how excited I was when Datsyuk and Zetterberg were joining, you can see it, you understand just how good he is at hockey and what kind of impact he likely holds on the future of the team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think he is a modern day Scott Stevens who I view as a lot better player than the Hatcher brothers. Mo isn't dirty, he is just mean, but it is predominately within the rulebook. While yes the rulebook changed post Stevens and so many of his hits are really questioned today, he was just mean and playing to the rulebook. A plus skater for how big and strong he was, he could chip in offensively. But you always thought of Stevens in his own zone first, how tough he was to play against, it is what Mo does a lot when he plays.

Now with the way he tilts the ice there is another elite D-man that you could name, he had a ton more offense and a heavier shot but maybe Mo homeruns completely into Rob Blake. Either way the names we are invoking is what makes Seider just so exciting. Cannot wait to get him in the winged wheel next year. This is about how excited I was when Datsyuk and Zetterberg were joining, you can see it, you understand just how good he is at hockey and what kind of impact he likely holds on the future of the team.

I don't think Mo is going to need his team to run set plays to sucker guys into the middle of the ice to hit them.

Agree on the Blake comparison.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think Mo is going to need his team to run set plays to sucker guys into the middle of the ice to hit them.

Agree on the Blake comparison.

Those are famous, Scott Stevens was a terror in the slot, along the walls and pretty much anywhere he wanted to be one. He just had an elite physical edge. Mo might do it with that big smile, but he is pretty relentlessly tough on guys and really does seem to enjoy it. It just reminds me a lot of that. Stevens wasn't going to cut you a break and sadly most of those really big hits you had a player not respecting that he could be there and really you should have known that about him. How often did we point out later on with Kronwall, it is really on their guy for not being aware of who was on the ice and what they were doing.

Blake was a really special D-man, loved his game a ton. Mo's offensive weapons would need to improve to be him.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Those are famous, Scott Stevens was a terror in the slot, along the walls and pretty much anywhere he wanted to be one. He just had an elite physical edge. Mo might do it with that big smile, but he is pretty relentlessly tough on guys and really does seem to enjoy it. It just reminds me a lot of that. Stevens wasn't going to cut you a break and sadly most of those really big hits you had a player not respecting that he could be there and really you should have known that about him. How often did we point out later on with Kronwall, it is really on their guy for not being aware of who was on the ice and what they were doing.

Blake was a really special D-man, loved his game a ton. Mo's offensive weapons would need to improve to be him.

Yeah, Stevens doesn't impress me and if his name was Ulf Stevenson I think he's regarded way differently. He's a big guy who got a lot of help on his most notorious hits, and that's if the hits weren't outright dirty like his chicken winging Lindros or hitting Kariya late. He would often slide all the way across the ice and hit a guy who was already engaged with another player. Personally, I think more people should have taken a cue from Domi and just blatantly ran Neidermeyer in return. Or rafalski. Or whoever. They had it coming and deserved far more of it.

I think Kronwall, Konstantinov, Blake, etc. showed way more ability and skill in the big hits they delivered.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
The funny thing - Hatcher brothers didn't play similarly at all. Kevin offensive defenseman, who was bad defensively. Derian was very good at his own end, but player rather conservatively. They both were very physical but thats it. I also not sure I agree with Scott Stevens comparison because first half of his career he was a rich man's Kevin Hatcher and in the second half a rich man's Derian Hatcher. I think i like a bigger Konstantinov comparison because of transition offense/passing ability

Reactions: Henkka

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Scott Stevens made two first team all-star teams and three second team all-star teams. I think he is a little better than is being remembered here. I think Mo can even peak higher and said as much. I do think Mo is going to be a feared guy though so those kind of D-man are starting to take front and center. Blake is probably the one I want him to be most. Again we are arguing about which hall of fame player we think he is going to be, that is the most exciting thing since the euro-twins came prospect wise.

Reactions: mantha39

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Blake was a great defenseman but I don't there was a single season I'd rank him as a top 5 overall defender, including the year that he was given what should have been Lidstrom's first Norris trophy. Even then, I don't think he was a top 10 guy nearly as consistently as he should have been. (Zubov, Leetch, Lidstrom, Bourque, Chelios, Pronger, Niedermayer, Stevens, MacInnis, arguably Gonchar were almost always better on a year by year basis. A few other guys crept in this realm but didn't consistently stay there.)

His hip checks were nasty, his shot was almost as good as MacInnis, and his passing was pretty good but I never viewed him as more than average to slightly above average in his own zone. Adam Foote covered up a lot of his misses in Colorado. But he did a hell of a job getting the puck up and out to Forsberg and Sakic.

Honestly if we're making comparisons to some of the true top tier defensemen we've seen in the league then I think we look at Pronger or Hedman as the kind of guy he could end up like. Great at reading the ice with the puck on his stick, handles pressure incredibly well. Very strong in his own end and a physical force, pinpoint passing that can set any forward up for an odd man rush or a breakaway. Great at swatting the puck down at either blueline to stop a dump attempt, and can quarterback and work the line on the powerplay.

I don't know if he's going to get there but with how he's exceeded expectations every single season so far I wouldn't be surprised. We went from thinking physical, defensive top 4 guy after his draft year to thinking physical top 2 guy but needs a Hughes brother to help with offense after Grand rapids to talking about him as a potential Norris winner after his year in Sweden.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I still see him as a bigger but not quite as nasty Konstantinov. I think we'll see a lot of offense from his smarts, skating, and passing but not a lot from the shot.

For some reason I have real positive feelings about Luke Hughes being the perfect compliment to him, but I have no basis on which to back this up lol. Really hope we get one of Hughes or Powers.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Who's the guy who went after Seider?

Oh and Nike still makes hockey stuff? Like with the actual swoosh logo on it. (Not that whole Nike's hockey division is owned by Bauer; both are owned by Adidas which is owned by Reebok, which is owned by CCM and bla bla bla...)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
whats the plan with söderblom, raymond, albert and berggren. are they gonna play in ahl next season or stay in sweden?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I still see him as a bigger but not quite as nasty Konstantinov. I think we'll see a lot of offense from his smarts, skating, and passing but not a lot from the shot.
I like this comparison. If Vladdy were bigger and an even better skater, that's what I'm hoping Seider keeps developing into. Less, "always look over your shoulder when he's out there", but more overall talent to eat minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad