Prospect Info: Prospect Discussion: Even Our Germans We Export To Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeiYzerman

Oct 9, 2018
Funny, when I'm watching Seider play the first name that comes to mind is Chris Pronger, just the way he totally dominates the play and tosses people around. I don't know if he'll ever be THAT good, but he's doing a lot to warrant the comparison. If he ends up being 75% of that, we've still got an elite D man on our hands.

Raymond I see being a consistent PPG player or better with a more well rounded two way game than Marner. I think his game is hungrier and much more conducive to the playoffs. He gets the points when they count. I see a bit of Panarin in him too. Frolunda didn't really do a great job showing what he can do because their system is even more boring than ours is. Blashill at least gives the higher skill guys a slightly longer leash.

Berggren right now looks a lot like William Nylander in his first few seasons. Very strong perimeter player, but he's going to have to cut to the middle of the ice to have any real success in the NHL. Two-way game needs to improve too.

Johansson is the dark horse of the whole group. I think the only thing really holding him back is his frame. He's what 170 now? Yeah, he needs about 20 lbs on him still. But man, once he fills out, this kid is going to be special. Smooth skating, smart, great offensive instincts, good in his own end for his age and playstyle or at least not a liability. I think he's got top pair upside if everything goes well for him (big if), or at least a middle pair. I think this is the player we all hoped Cholowski would be. Potentially QB's the top unit. Edler is a fair comparison, but maybe a Morgan Reilly/Tyson Barrie lite? He's a tough one to peg because his ceiling is kind of up in the air for me.

Wallinder is the other diamond in the rough. Hedman is a comparison I hear pretty frequently for him. It fits to some extent, certainly with his offense. Defensively he's a train wreck and I hope Rogle helps him work on that, but if he figures that out, solid top 4 potential with top pair upside. Could be a good partner for Seider if he pans out.

Viro is pretty similar to Johansson I guess, not quite Johansson's level on skating, but still great. Excellent edgework. Great lateral movement. Responsible defensively. Offense not quite what Johansson's is, but should still be a 20 point guy.

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
On the latest episode of the The Athletic Hockey Show podcast, they had an interview with Justin Abdelkader, and he, without being prompted, started gushing about Moritz Seider, whom he had met at the World Championships, calling him a future franchise defenceman and saying that he would be a lock on the Wings' blueline for some time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
On the latest episode of the The Athletic Hockey Show podcast, they had an interview with Justin Abdelkader, and he, without being prompted, started gushing about Moritz Seider, whom he had met at the World Championships, calling him a future franchise defenceman and saying that he would be a lock on the Wings' blueline for some time.

That's no news for us. Just Abdelkader confirming the same things which are starting to look obvious.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Funny, when I'm watching Seider play the first name that comes to mind is Chris Pronger, just the way he totally dominates the play and tosses people around. I don't know if he'll ever be THAT good, but he's doing a lot to warrant the comparison. If he ends up being 75% of that, we've still got an elite D man on our hands.

I've theen the Konstantinov element in him, but man, he is maybe more like Pronger. Just a nasty a-hole. :D

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
That's no news for us. Just Abdelkader confirming the same things which are starting to look obvious.
Of course it's no news for us. I've been reading these boards you know. :)

I just wanted to share this because I found it remarkable how Abdelkader started to rave about Mo unprompted, in an interview that was neither about Seider or the Wings. I didn't think I was telling you anything new about Seider, I just wanted to relate that Abdelkader is another one who has seen the light. ;)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Of course it's no news for us. I've been reading these boards you know. :)

I just wanted to share this because I found it remarkable how Abdelkader started to rave about Mo unprompted, in an interview that was neither about Seider or the Wings. I didn't think I was telling you anything new about Seider, I just wanted to relate that Abdelkader is another one who has seen the light. ;)

How dare you, sir.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Im'ma need a flow chart one of these days to help me keep track of all these international tournaments, hehe.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

Raymond I see being a consistent PPG player or better with a more well rounded two way game than Marner. I think his game is hungrier and much more conducive to the playoffs. He gets the points when they count. I see a bit of Panarin in him too. Frolunda didn't really do a great job showing what he can do because their system is even more boring than ours is. Blashill at least gives the higher skill guys a slightly longer leash.

Berggren right now looks a lot like William Nylander in his first few seasons. Very strong perimeter player, but he's going to have to cut to the middle of the ice to have any real success in the NHL. Two-way game needs to improve too.

Johansson is the dark horse of the whole group. I think the only thing really holding him back is his frame. He's what 170 now? Yeah, he needs about 20 lbs on him still. But man, once he fills out, this kid is going to be special. Smooth skating, smart, great offensive instincts, good in his own end for his age and playstyle or at least not a liability. I think he's got top pair upside if everything goes well for him (big if), or at least a middle pair. I think this is the player we all hoped Cholowski would be. Potentially QB's the top unit. Edler is a fair comparison, but maybe a Morgan Reilly/Tyson Barrie lite? He's a tough one to peg because his ceiling is kind of up in the air for me.

Wallinder is the other diamond in the rough. Hedman is a comparison I hear pretty frequently for him. It fits to some extent, certainly with his offense. Defensively he's a train wreck and I hope Rogle helps him work on that, but if he figures that out, solid top 4 potential with top pair upside. Could be a good partner for Seider if he pans out.

Viro is pretty similar to Johansson I guess, not quite Johansson's level on skating, but still great. Excellent edgework. Great lateral movement. Responsible defensively. Offense not quite what Johansson's is, but should still be a 20 point guy.
sounds like your seeing lots of games over in europe so im wondering about your take's on eklund and edvinsson ?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
wallinder-viro-neiderbach

Would love to see Niederbach get a big role at the WJC for Sweden, I don't see a lot of centers on that roster. Should get a good opportunity.

Jeebus. How great would a player who can do all those things on an NHL scoring line be next to a guy like Larkin... Here's hoping he makes it.

Would be great to have him opposite Zadina as well.... IMO

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

This Alex Cotton is very interesting.

I've blaimed that NA drafting being crap, but there could be something now on the making. Also Sebrango is getting some praise.

About Cotton, I was looking some primary points/ice-time stats already year ago, and he was pretty good on them. Top3 defenceman at WHL. Others at Top3 were Bowen Byram and Ty Smith.

Maybe drafters thought that Dylan Cozens is pulling Lethbridge and this guy to high points at season 2019-20. But, at this current season. Cotton only got better after Cozens was already at Buffalo. He was almost the highest-scoring player on his team as a defenceman. He was second best at primary points/icetime gainst some overager, quite par with good Rangers prospect Braden Schneider.

Alex Cotton is 6'3 right-handed, and scoring very well vs. WHL comparables. And we got this guy on the 5th round, #132 overall.

Could be steal on the making. Don't know does he have defensive flaws or something, but putting up 20 goals and scoring point-per-game rates tells at least about his skills.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
...Could be steal on the making. Don't know does he have defensive flaws or something, but putting up 20 goals and scoring point-per-game rates tells at least about his skills.

I am not overly excited about Cotton, he is just a guy to me. He was a D+1 when drafted, it should be expected to be good in the WHL. I think his skating will hold him a bit back.

He was not a guy I would look at in the 5th round, but hey, he might develop into a 3rd line D or something.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This Alex Cotton is very interesting.

I've blaimed that NA drafting being crap, but there could be something now on the making. Also Sebrango is getting some praise.

About Cotton, I was looking some primary points/ice-time stats already year ago, and he was pretty good on them. Top3 defenceman at WHL. Others at Top3 were Bowen Byram and Ty Smith.

Maybe drafters thought that Dylan Cozens is pulling Lethbridge and this guy to high points at season 2019-20. But, at this current season. Cotton only got better after Cozens was already at Buffalo. He was almost the highest-scoring player on his team as a defenceman. He was second best at primary points/icetime gainst some overager, quite par with good Rangers prospect Braden Schneider.

Alex Cotton is 6'3 right-handed, and scoring very well vs. WHL comparables. And we got this guy on the 5th round, #132 overall.

Could be steal on the making. Don't know does he have defensive flaws or something, but putting up 20 goals and scoring point-per-game rates tells at least about his skills.

His skating makes Tomas Holmstrom look fast.

I'm skeptical of this pick turning into anything better than a good AHLer. His draft year skating was not good at all. And I say this as someone who doesn't get hung up on skating as much as others on this forum.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I like Cotton as a late pick but there's definitely a lot of work to do and his chances of ever making the NHL aren't great. He's great in the offensive zone though (mostly on the PP) and IMO skill is what late picks should be used on.

Good luck finding skill along with size+skating late in the draft, especially in the CHL. I would prefer skill+skating but skill is #1 in any case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frk It
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad