Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ya those Nylander comments were hilarious.
I'm not sure how leafs fans in particular can't see it

yeah I don't get it. My personal fav is last year during the season there was talk of nylander playing C. button flat out said "hes a winger and he has NEVER played C" that tells me he isn't a very good scout right there. He played C in the SHL and was PPG, He played C for the marlies and was PPG and played his first 21 games in the NHL at C (0.6~ppg) in fact in all his pro seasons it would be close to 50/50 C to W. How can "TSN super scout" sit there and say he has never played C when he played 21 games in the SHL, 60~ games in the AHL and 21 games in the NHL at C

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wouldn’t go as far to say that those defenseman are ahead of him besides Dermott. Valiev was called up to sit in the pressbox for a few days while we needed a warm body we wouldn’t miss is the minors, Marincin was given his last chance with the Leafs and failed miserably and Holl is a RHD who filled in after our top 2 “RHD” went down with injury/sickness. I’m assuming the Leafs don’t want to yo-yo a guy they obviously thought had potential to start the year

He's not very good, the reason those guys got called up in front of him is that there better including Marincin

Getting free wallets has worked out well for us but Rosen isn't one of them

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
yeah I don't get it. My personal fav is last year during the season there was talk of nylander playing C. button flat out said "hes a winger and he has NEVER played C" that tells me he isn't a very good scout right there. He played C in the SHL and was PPG, He played C for the marlies and was PPG and played his first 21 games in the NHL at C (0.6~ppg) in fact in all his pro seasons it would be close to 50/50 C to W. How can "TSN super scout" sit there and say he has never played C when he played 21 games in the SHL, 60~ games in the AHL and 21 games in the NHL at C
To be fair to Button I think he was talking about the way Nylander played centre. Here is the quote
Button: I’ve watched William Nylander play since he was fifteen years old — at the AHL level, in the Swedish League, in the Allsvenskan. I’ve never seen William Nylander play center ice. Never. I know he played there, but I’ve never seen him play at center ice.
Which still leaves question marks as to his scouting eye as Willie did fine at C in the shl and the ahl

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
To be fair to Button I think he was talking about the way Nylander played centre. Here is the quote

Which still leaves question marks as to his scouting eye as Willie did fine at C in the shl and the ahl
Willy's stronger at C than he is on the wing. People complain that his effort isn't always there, but switch him to C and watch how engaged he can be in the play. I hope he eventually gets a shot (barring the acquisition of someone like Tavares, which would eliminate the need for another Center).

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

That quote itself doesn't make sense though. If he had watched Willie play in the AHL, how did he never watch him play at C? Unless he only went to Willie's first 2/3 games. The Marlies flipped him to C pretty darn quickly and he excelled there. It's inconsistencies like these that makes me irritated when it comes to Button. The guy may know his stuff (no doubt) but he contradicts himself many times over. He is also very quick to flip on guys. It almost makes me question whether he's actually watched them. Honestly. I've even read guys on twitter like Jeffler who comment on the fact that they've never seen Button at Marlies games and Jeffler to my knowledge has been covering the Marlies for the past 4+ years. It really baffles me.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
In Willies last playoff run on the Marlies, he was playing wing in the last series. Kappy was healthy scratched a lot that season, from what I remember

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Willy's stronger at C than he is on the wing. People complain that his effort isn't always there, but switch him to C and watch how engaged he can be in the play. I hope he eventually gets a shot (barring the acquisition of someone like Tavares, which would eliminate the need for another Center).
I think it's because he's played as a centre his whole life so when he's on the wing he's really learning a new position. It will be hard to take him off Matthews wing now but Marner there would be very nice too

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That quote itself doesn't make sense though. If he had watched Willie play in the AHL, how did he never watch him play at C? Unless he only went to Willie's first 2/3 games. The Marlies flipped him to C pretty darn quickly and he excelled there. It's inconsistencies like these that makes me irritated when it comes to Button. The guy may know his stuff (no doubt) but he contradicts himself many times over. He is also very quick to flip on guys. It almost makes me question whether he's actually watched them. Honestly. I've even read guys on twitter like Jeffler who comment on the fact that they've never seen Button at Marlies games and Jeffler to my knowledge has been covering the Marlies for the past 4+ years. It really baffles me.
I think button was trying to say Willie doesn't play the centre position right.
Either way it's a bunged up report from him trying to give back handed compliments

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
lets not forget button also said. "with adam brooks coming he would trade nylander" AND "if the leafs won the vesey sweepstakes nylander would of been out the door". Why people think he is a good scout is beyond me he is far too biased

He also suggested the Leafs should trade Nylander if they signed Versey as a free agent.

The guys a complete joke of an analyst- there’s a reason why he doesn’t work for an NHL team anymore.....

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I think that quote came after 3 or 4 times where he flat out said Nylander has never played C I would bet many leaf fans pointed out he has played quite a bit there, so Buttons narrative changes to him "meaning" he isn't very good there. Flat out as sure of himself as he was kapanen wont be an NHLer his exact words were "Nylander has never played C"

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He also suggested the Leafs should trade Nylander if they signed Versey as a free agent.

The guys a complete joke of an analyst- there’s a reason why he doesn’t work for an NHL team anymore.....

yeah he also said that Adam Brooks coming would make nylander expendable. ADAM BROOKS 6 points in 33 AHL games Adam Brooks I don't care if they are forcing him into a defensive role if he has any NHL ability he would still have more than 6 points in 33 games 0.18 PPG the goat is better than him and only plays a defensive role.

Funny thing is Brooks is only 5 days younger than Nylander too so the young and learning card doesn't apply either if that's what button was thinking

Reactions: Menzinger

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think that quote came after 3 or 4 times where he flat out said Nylander has never played C I would bet many leaf fans pointed out he has played quite a bit there, so Buttons narrative changes to him "meaning" he isn't very good there. Flat out as sure of himself as he was kapanen wont be an NHLer his exact words were "Nylander has never played C"
That would not surprise me in the least. At best is shady reporting

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Getting free wallets has worked out well for us but Rosen isn't one of them

Coming in, he was just as good as Borgman and he did almost make the team instead of Borgman. His level of struggle in the AHL is a bit inexplicable to the point that you have to suspect something is going on. He might just have some hump there to get over.

Reactions: uncleben85

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Coming in, he was just as good as Borgman and he did almost make the team instead of Borgman. His level of struggle in the AHL is a bit inexplicable to the point that you have to suspect something is going on. He might just have some hump there to get over.
Yeah, I certainly had higher hopes for him than I did Borgman, and imo, even his preseason was better than Borgman
Kinda curious that his AHL season has worked out as hoped

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

After watching both of them in the preseason I didn't think it was that close between Borgman and Rosen, the same issues he's got at the AHL level are what he was doing at the NHL level

He just can't defend on a consistent basis and he's a turnover machine at bad times

Babcock isn't going to like that

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
After watching both of them in the preseason I didn't think it was that close between Borgman and Rosen, the same issues he's got at the AHL level are what he was doing at the NHL level

I don't know what you saw. He didn't have any issues in preseason, looked good, and everyone expected him to make it. Babcock said he only kept Borgman because he was 225 and they didn't have Polak yet or anyone with any size on the back end.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't know what you saw. He didn't have any issues in preseason, looked good, and everyone expected him to make it. Babcock said he only kept Borgman because he was 225 and they didn't have Polak yet or anyone with any size on the back end.

We kept the guy that was better defensively, even in the preseason Borgman's defensive game looked well ahead of Rosen's and we didn't have an experienced bottom pair player to babysit him, Rosen had a bad tendency of coughing up the puck even then and he's gotten worse if anything

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Borgman certainly looks the part of an NHL Dman. I think he can has adjusted better to tighter North American rinks than Rosen ever will.
Brooks, good luck to him and the Leafs. But haven't we seen over the years why guys are passed over in the draft. And having scoring success in junior or even the AHL, means nothing to having success in the NHL. Likely he just isn't NHL good.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The Marlies game is entertaining. No one is playing defence.
Marlies lead 6-3 in the 2nd.

They lead 2-0, sens tied it. Marlies lead 3-2, Sens tied it again, and Marlies scored 3 straight.

Reactions: Kiwi leafs fan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The Marlies game is entertaining. No one is playing defence.
Marlies lead 6-3 in the 2nd.

They lead 2-0, sens tied it. Marlies lead 3-2, Sens tied it again, and Marlies scored 3 straight.

Marchment with one goal and Aaltonen with two
Johnsson with another multi point game

Reactions: stickty111

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marchment with another one that's 2 for him
7-3 Marlies

Marlies win 7-4

Last edited:

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

I really hope he is ok. His first week down there and some goon decides to cheap shot. AHL especially needs to send a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad