Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
What do the Leafs do with Marchment this summer? He can technically go anywhere, but I hope he stays. He is proving to be a solid prospect on a steep development curve.

I like the idea that every so often a Marlies' contract gets an NHL contract as a reward. There were Holl and Froese in the recent past. It emphasizes that there actually is hope if you stand out. On the flip side, I like the idea that the team is confident enough to pass on signing a draft pick who hasn't progressed post-draft. This one can be difficult because a scout's reputation rides on his recommendations.

Reactions: uncleben85

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I don't get why some people don't see Aaltonen as an NHLer. I get that he isn't producing as expected, but he is still one of the highest producing Marlies.
He matches Johnsson's speed well, has great hands and makes creative plays all the time. Most importantly, he is very tenacious and positions himself well at all times. He really should be the 4C now and I could honestly see him becoming a good 3C. The Leafs should see what they have there before diving into FA for a C for next season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marchment will get a ELC. I'm pretty confident of it. If they don't he will very likely get one from another team. He's been that impressive and you can only think he'll improve from there.

Dubas has been so good at finding those gems for the Marlies.

Reactions: uncleben85

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Grunstrom seems to be a Cy Younger in the SHL. Lots of goals, few assists. Looking forward to him starting with the Marlies next year and we'll see how his game transformers to North America. I'm optimistic, but he does have a consistently strange scoring line.

He looked like he was a good passer in the WJC.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Grunstrom seems to be a Cy Younger in the SHL. Lots of goals, few assists. Looking forward to him starting with the Marlies next year and we'll see how his game transformers to North America. I'm optimistic, but he does have a consistently strange scoring line.
So it was a bit refreshing that former MODO head coach Anders Forsberg, when talking about Carl Grundstrom, told reporters, “It is rare to see a player who can play more Canadian than Canadians themselves.”

For a Swedish forward who still has all his teeth and uses an umlaut to spell his name, this was apparently the highest honour. At least, Grundstrom thinks it was.

“I don’t know, I think he means that I’m not afraid to drive the net and play around the net,” said the 19-year-old winger, who picked up an assist in Wednesday’s game against Switzerland. “I’ll take it.”
I'll take that too!
It sounds very promising that He will adjust to the NA game

Reactions: LeafChief

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Bracco has 14 points in the last 17 games.
I'm wondering with his (as Keefe calls them 'elite) playmaking abilities he might be suited to replacing Nylander with Matthews/Hyman should Nylander be moved to Center his own line.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Mcgregor in action for the 1st time in a month, most faceoffs on the team. Look for him to be one of the unsung heros on a sting team loaded for bear.

Next season will be interesting, I think he'll take big step with added responsibility, they're graduating up to 7 forwards -1 OA + 6 98's, 5 of them NHL draft picks.

Reactions: Duke16

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nice to see Bracco rolling. It's definitely what you want to see out of a prospect like him. Seems like he's buying into the Leafs' mantra of working hard and being a good pro

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nice to see Bracco rolling. It's definitely what you want to see out of a prospect like him. Seems like he's buying into the Leafs' mantra of working hard and being a good pro

I remember last season, it was said that he was making trips from Kitchener/Windsor to the Leafs practice facility to watch the practices and put in work with the Leafs training staff.

He seems to be working his butt off, and with his skill, that's a great combination.

The way it's going, we can have a cheap top 9 forward making the team for the 19-20 season

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Quality wing prospect depth with:

Johnsson
Grundstrom
Korshkov
Bracco
Timashov
Marchment
Dzierkals

Gotta draft skilled centres with speed. None of the centres we drafted other Matthews are playing centre in the NHL. Nylander might. Aaltonen has 4th line potential. Gauthier is looking like emergency fill-in material only going forward. Brooks needs a lot more AHL time. Toninato is gone. Verhaeghe is gone. Marner is a winger.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

Johnsson
Grundstrom
Korshkov
Bracco
Timashov
Marchment
Dzierkals

Gotta draft skilled centres with speed. None of the centres we drafted other Matthews are playing centre in the NHL. Nylander might. Aaltonen has 4th line potential. Gauthier is looking like emergency fill-in material only going forward. Brooks needs a lot more AHL time. Toninato is gone. Verhaeghe is gone. Marner is a winger.

Nah man. You're views about our C problems are way out of line with reality. Matthews Kadri Goat are 3/4 going forward, and trading for a tweener 2/3 c really doesn't cost that much. Thats assuming that nylander never moves to C, which is a real possibility. We 100% do not need more small sized skilled C's though, you are 100% wrong on that line. We need a backes/kessler type player or a powerforward to replace JVR up front.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nah man. You're views about our C problems are way out of line with reality. Matthews Kadri Goat are 3/4 going forward, and trading for a tweener 2/3 c really doesn't cost that much. Thats assuming that nylander never moves to C, which is a real possibility. We 100% do not need more small sized skilled C's though, you are 100% wrong on that line. We need a backes/kessler type player or a powerforward to replace JVR up front.

I still wouldn't mind getting some more centres into the system and try to develop one that could supplant Kadri down the line.

For once though it feels like the prospect pool isn't in dire need of a particular type of player. Now they just have to keep building that depth in all types. Centres, powerfowards, d-men, goalies. Definitely a good time to just keep drafting the BPA.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Gauthier has not shown that he’s nhl caliber. And honestly, I don’t think he ever will.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Johnsson
Grundstrom
Korshkov
Bracco
Timashov
Marchment
Dzierkals

I would bet we will be dipping into the European free agent market but I don't know who would be a target for centre.
I'm a bit surprised we let Toninato go.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I would bet we will be dipping into the European free agent market but I don't know who would be a target for centre.
I'm a bit surprised we let Toninato go.

Me too .. I mean I don't know if he would have cracked the Leafs roster as he has done in Colorado, but he would have been nice for depth as well as give the Leafs potential 4C options like with Goat.

I mean maybe they didn't see anything but a 4C as his ceiling, and with the Goat already around, perhaps they didn't want to spend a contract spot on him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad