Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Can you guys give me some insight into these Leafs players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Travis Dermott
Andreas Borgman
Andreas Johnsson
Calle Rosen
Justin Holl

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can you guys give me some insight into these Leafs players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Travis Dermott
Andreas Borgman
Andreas Johnsson
Calle Rosen
Justin Holl

Travis Dermott -- Top 4 2-way defenseman with some hope of being a top pairing potential -- Agile skater that moves the puck very well and great stick handling, has great instincts all around and jumps into the rush at good times. He can make zone exits and entries seem so easy. Needs to get stronger and probably cut down turnovers in the defensive zone where he can get caught chasing the puck around too much.

Andreas Borgman -- Bottom pairing defenseman -- Physical defenseman that loves to hit and get involved. Adequate skill and mobility. He needs to move the puck quicker in his own end, work on his positioning and gap control. Started off very well with the Leafs but lost his job to Dermott eventually.

Andreas Johnsson -- Top 6/9 potential -- Good and agile skater with a very good shot and very good around the net. Plays with energy and has a good motor. Not a big player and can make some bad turnovers trying to make a play but overall, he's pretty decent defensively.

Calle Rosen -- Bottom pairing / Depth defenseman -- Good skating defenseman that has good puck distribution skills. Can make plays under pressure and can QB a PP very well. Question marks on his defensive game. He looked out of place with the Leafs early in the season but has been top notch for the Marlies where Keefe said he was their top defenseman down the stretch. He's got really good tools but potential is up in the air.

Justin Holl -- Depth defenseman -- Hard to get a good read on his potential due to his age and being a late bloomer. Very good skater with great reach and distributes the puck well. One of the best Marlies defenseman for a few years now. He did very well in his 2 games with the Leafs but the sample size is small. He's a very good defensive defenseman with the Marlies that gets about 60% of defensive zone starts. He's not very physical for a big defenseman and his "motor" has been questioned at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire11

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Travis Dermott
Andreas Borgman
Andreas Johnsson
Calle Rosen
Justin Holl
Agreed with what @SprDaVE aays above but would add:
Dermott is known for his hockey strength and often referred to as a bulldog. Yes he will get stronger but it's not an issue as seen when he suplexed someone during the playoffs

Johnsson has some serious speed and a great shot; accurate hard wrist shot

Holl is still my dark horse to make the team

RAM

Feb 16, 2015
Agreed with what @SprDaVE aays above but would add:
Dermott is known for his hockey strength and often referred to as a bulldog. Yes he will get stronger but it's not an issue as seen when he suplexed someone during the playoffs

Johnsson has some serious speed and a great shot; accurate hard wrist shot

Holl is still my dark horse to make the team

Off Topic a bit, but with Marlies close to winning the Cup how does that translate to winning the Stanley cup from these last 30 AHL cup winners

2016-17 Grand Rapids Griffins
2015-16 Lake Erie Monsters
2014-15 Manchester Monarchs
2013-14 Texas Stars
2012-13 Grand Rapids Griffins
2011-12 Norfolk Admirals
2010-11 Binghamton Senators
2009-10 Hershey Bears
2008-09 Hershey Bears
2007-08 Chicago Wolves
2006-07 Hamilton Bulldogs
2005-06
Hershey Bears
2004-05
Philadelphia Phantoms
2003-04
Milwaukee Admirals
2002-03
Houston Aeros
2001-02
Chicago Wolves
2000-01
Saint John Flames
1999-2000
Hartford Wolf Pack
1998-99
Providence Bruins
1997-98
Philadelphia Phantoms
1996-97
Hershey Bears
1995-96
Rochester Americans
1994-95
Albany River Rats
1993-94
Portland Pirates
1992-93
Cape Breton Oilers
1991-92
Adirondack Red Wings
1990-91
Springfield Indians
1989-90
Springfield Indians
1988-89
Adirondack Red Wings

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I see teams whose parent clubs are contenders a lot, but no direct translation. It's a bit apples and oranges. AHL teams are usually made up of a bunch of AAAA vets who do a lot of the heavy lifting. At the same time, 2010 Hershey Bears had a few Caps who won this year, even if its 8 years apart. A lot of that 2012 Norfolk team is helping Tampa today. So I'd say its not direct, but its a contributing factor for some form of success.

Reactions: cookie

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Off Topic a bit, but with Marlies close to winning the Cup how does that translate to winning the Stanley cup from these last 30 AHL cup winners

2016-17 Grand Rapids Griffins
2015-16 Lake Erie Monsters
2014-15 Manchester Monarchs
2013-14 Texas Stars
2012-13 Grand Rapids Griffins
2011-12 Norfolk Admirals
2010-11 Binghamton Senators
2009-10 Hershey Bears
2008-09 Hershey Bears
2007-08 Chicago Wolves
2006-07 Hamilton Bulldogs
2005-06
Hershey Bears
2004-05
Philadelphia Phantoms
2003-04
Milwaukee Admirals
2002-03
Houston Aeros
2001-02
Chicago Wolves
2000-01
Saint John Flames
1999-2000
Hartford Wolf Pack
1998-99
Providence Bruins
1997-98
Philadelphia Phantoms
1996-97
Hershey Bears
1995-96
Rochester Americans
1994-95
Albany River Rats
1993-94
Portland Pirates
1992-93
Cape Breton Oilers
1991-92
Adirondack Red Wings
1990-91
Springfield Indians
1989-90
Springfield Indians
1988-89
Adirondack Red Wings
That shows how important it is to have a good system and pipeline to being a good NHL team

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012

Travis Dermott - NHL Future
Andreas Borgman - No
Andreas Johnsson - NHL Future
Calle Rosen - NHL bottom pairing
Justin Holl - Either NHLer or Career AHLer, not enough opportunity given at the NHL level

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
doesn't he have to go through the draft as an overager before they can start invites?

Well yes and no. If he gets drafted, he can go elsewhere. He is technically a FA right now so he can be contacted, just can not be signed.

Grima, from the little bit I know about him, is not super impressive. He's a smaller defensive defenseman type and solid, but not better than a bunch of the guys we let go for nothing. Even on an AHL deal, I would take a few of those other guys before I take him.

Reactions: saltming

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I see teams whose parent clubs are contenders a lot, but no direct translation. It's a bit apples and oranges. AHL teams are usually made up of a bunch of AAAA vets who do a lot of the heavy lifting. At the same time, 2010 Hershey Bears had a few Caps who won this year, even if its 8 years apart. A lot of that 2012 Norfolk team is helping Tampa today. So I'd say its not direct, but its a contributing factor for some form of success.
I'd go a step further to say the championship is not as important as player development. Cheap talent that produces at the NHL level is crucial to winning a Cup. WBS just helped the Penguins to 2 Cups and a number of Hershey Bears were vital to the Caps win. These teams did not win Calder's but they had very good playoff runs.

Toronto is going to benefit from this run....the right free agent or two, maybe a trade and this team can win a cup. Right now.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd go a step further to say the championship is not as important as player development. Cheap talent that produces at the NHL level is crucial to winning a Cup. WBS just helped the Penguins to 2 Cups and a number of Hershey Bears were vital to the Caps win. These teams did not win Calder's but they had very good playoff runs.

Toronto is going to benefit from this run....the right free agent or two, maybe a trade and this team can win a cup. Right now.

WBS and Hershey are known for having a fair number of vets on their teams though.

member 300185

Sparks lost this game almost single handedly. Marlies should have won, but cant bury the puck. Texas rarely got out of their own zone but when they did, they made the Marlies pay.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Opportunistic....need to punch one in early next game. McKenna bounced back tonight. What a series....How about a little more hockey?

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Re: Grima

The four defencemen ahead of grima this season are all 20+ which means grima may get top mins next season. Although he is 6’0, he is 195 lbs therefore his weight is fine. It is a good pickup...if only he was taller...the shot suppressing types tend to be tall.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
I wish the game was at the ACC or at least a subway accessible arena, its kind of a pain to go to the Ricoh Stadium. Would have wanted to go to game 7.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Re: Grima

The four defencemen ahead of grima this season are all 20+ which means grima may get top mins next season. Although he is 6’0, he is 195 lbs therefore his weight is fine. It is a good pickup...if only he was taller...the shot suppressing types tend to be tall.

His team is going to be a lot worse next year too though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad