Oct 6, 2015
Other
This is like fresh new snow. I just has to make fresh tracks haha
I want the Calder this year!!

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Fights per game are at all-time low in the AHL. Blunden played for Ottawa a couple of games ago, and Dotchin has been in the NHL all year. Kind of poor examples.

Suspendable plays happen in every league, AHL now has a cap on fighting majors, and is actively attempting to get goons out of their league. Your complaints are a bit out-dated.

I agree with everything you're saying... but then the AHL also deemed that a 2 game hit.
That should be higher if they want to keep actively making that change*, imo :whatever:

Last edited:

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I agree with everything you're saying... but then the AHL also deemed that a 2 game hit.
That should be higher if they want to keep actively making that chance, imo :whatever:

Yeah, I definitely agree there. The two of them had a prior run in and scrap in preseason, blunden comes through with a deliberate blind side shot to the head, not sure how they arrived at 2 games.

Could have just as easily happened in the Leafs/Sens game on the weekend if both were up.

I'm not well versed in the AHL track record for suspensions, but I do know they are working pretty hard at getting pure goons out of their league.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, I definitely agree there. The two of them had a prior run in and scrap in preseason, blunden comes through with a deliberate blind side shot to the head, not sure how they arrived at 2 games.

Could have just as easily happened in the Leafs/Sens game on the weekend if both were up.

I'm not well versed in the AHL track record for suspensions, but I do know they are working pretty hard at getting pure goons out of their league.

Pure goons, sure. Not too many pure Colton Orr type enforcers anymore. But goons like Dotchin and Blunden, who still can play a decent game but are still major goons, are not going anywhere anytime soon. NHL is eliminating those types of players (or at least the dirty type plays they make) a lot faster than the AHL at this point. AHL is still pretty light when it comes to a lot of suspensions. You see a lot of them, but they are only one or two games despite the severity of them. I think the Johnsson hit was only like 3-5 games; in the NHL it probably would have been 10 regardless of prior history. Dotchin only got 3 games for the Gauthier thing; would have been a lot more there too.

The AHL is probably 5 years behind the NHL in terms of eliminating the bush-league crap.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I haven’t seen nearly as much of the Marlies as I expected this season so this is a question for regular viewers. It looks as if Aaltonen’s scoring rate is improving recently. Is that matched by improvement in other areas of his game? Does he look as if he might have an NHL future, and if so, how far away is that future? Thanks.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I haven’t seen nearly as much of the Marlies as I expected this season so this is a question for regular viewers. It looks as if Aaltonen’s scoring rate is improving recently. Is that matched by improvement in other areas of his game? Does he look as if he might have an NHL future, and if so, how far away is that future? Thanks.
He does look better later. I felt he was a passenger earlier, but I think he's stepped up his game. I don't know about NHL future, though. I've soured on him over the course of this season.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not sure it's been mentioned but I just noticed former Leaf prospect Fabrice Herzog is on the Swiss Olympic team. Good for him.

Reactions: 67Cup

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Gordeev seems to be playing better lately on a bad Flint team

That's good because apparently he was trash before that.

Then again, after Mattinen was dealt, he was the only half decent guy they had back there besides Smereck.

If Gordeev, Mattinen and Smereck are your best defensemen, and you have replacement worth OHLers behind them and a weak offense, you are not going to be a competitive team.

Reactions: Bullseye

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
That's good because apparently he was trash before that.

Then again, after Mattinen was dealt, he was the only half decent guy they had back there besides Smereck.

If Gordeev, Mattinen and Smereck are your best defensemen, and you have replacement worth OHLers behind them and a weak offense, you are not going to be a competitive team.

Gordeev can skate. He's a dark horse. He needs physical maturity and hockey IQ to go with some of the offensive talents he's showing. He's my fav. of all the big men. Who knows.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Marlies lose in regulation. Hell of a run they had, anyone watch the game and can give a quick recap?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Rinat Valiev is putting together a bit of an offensive run. 3 goals in his last 4 games.
Honestly, I still think he is a pretty good prospect. At 22, he still has age on his side and he consistently impresses me with solid 2-way play. He is better than Rosen, Nielsen and Loverde imo and probably ranks similarily to Holl. He is also currently a better option than Liljegren. He is probably the guy I call after Borgman and Holl, making him the #9/10 guy in the organization right now in my books.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Gordeev can skate. He's a dark horse. He needs physical maturity and hockey IQ to go with some of the offensive talents he's showing. He's my fav. of all the big men. Who knows.

Do you think he lacks HIQ now? I'm not sure you can acquire that? I think it can be overwhelmed until you develop some confidence, but I'm not sure you can acquire it. Certainly, you can teach muscle memory and gain more experience and historical reference, but feel HIQ is a gift.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Do you think he lacks HIQ now? I'm not sure you can acquire that? I think it can be overwhelmed until you develop some confidence, but I'm not sure you can acquire it. Certainly, you can teach muscle memory and gain more experience and historical reference, but feel HIQ is a gift.
Might be splitting hairs but players can and do continue learning the game. Is that IQ? Hockey smarts? Especially at the junior level when there is so much to learn and develop.
That said I think there is a certain level and depth of understanding that people in general seem capable of and I would consider that IQ but it's too early to judge for me as I have not seen or followed him at all but I'm always hesitant to say a player has low IQ at that level if he has so much talent and skill as I believe developing those skills requires IQ as you have to learn the right way and repeat to develop muscle memory

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Marlies lose in regulation. Hell of a run they had, anyone watch the game and can give a quick recap?
Marlies dressed a B lineup and the Sens trapped the whole game. They had 5 guys back and rarely even sent one guy over the blue line. They very nearly put the building to sleep.

The Sens put a decent checking line on Johnsson, Sparks had a mediocre game and their goalie made some unreal saves (first star). And that was all she wrote.

Marlies have lost a lot of talent to the big club and to trades. They don't have enough talent left to sit most of it even against the pathetic Sens

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Might be splitting hairs but players can and do continue learning the game. Is that IQ? Hockey smarts? Especially at the junior level when there is so much to learn and develop.
That said I think there is a certain level and depth of understanding that people in general seem capable of and I would consider that IQ but it's too early to judge for me as I have not seen or followed him at all but I'm always hesitant to say a player has low IQ at that level if he has so much talent and skill as I believe developing those skills requires IQ as you have to learn the right way and repeat to develop muscle memory

From my perspective, Connor Brown could play 20 years in the NHL and never develop Marner's HIQ.

HIQ to me is like other IQ's, I could take art lessons my entire life and never develop that IQ, although I could develop art skills.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
From my perspective, Connor Brown could play 20 years in the NHL and never develop Marner's HIQ.

HIQ to me is like other IQ's, I could take art lessons my entire life and never develop that IQ, although I could develop art skills.
Ya we agree on the concept of IQ then because you could become better at art but never be van Gogh

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Anyone know why we didn't/couldn't have given Holl an extended look? Thought he looked real good here for his 2 game stint.

Cap situation? Roster limit?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

It's a great question Ulf, similar to that of slow feet. Can they learn to overcome their deficiencies at 19 or 20 years old. Hopefully Carlo is model of what Gord could become. You're right that prospects generally show their talents by this point if they have it. Gordeev has show mobility from draft day onward but can he learn to make decisions under pressure and not be a Marincin clone? Time will tell. Later picks are always a crap shoot.

Can Rasanen become quicker might be an even bigger organizational question?

Reactions: saltming
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->