Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ditto on Miller

If we drafted Merkley the best thing for him would be going straight into the AHL like Liljegren did and working with our development staff and Keefe could probably control him

Unfortunately he's in the CHL so we'd have to wait a couple of years before that's even an option
Ya so let's just take a pass on Merkley unless he is BPA by a mile

Reactions: Kiwi

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Or they will try and see if he can be an 80% Marner, and if he shows he can, they will trade Mitch the Magician for a massive haul.
You’re right. We could keep Marner or we could trade him for a massive haul that might (if we’re lucky) get us a guy as good as Marner!
‘Peter Griffin-Boat-Mystery Box’ level thinking right there

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You’re right. We could keep Marner or we could trade him for a massive haul that might (if we’re lucky) get us a guy as good as Marner!
‘Peter Griffin-Boat-Mystery Box’ level thinking right there

Sure. That's totally the law that governs making trades in the NHL works:sarcasm:. All teams are almost identical top to bottom and you therefore can only trade any given player for almost the exact same player, but of lesser value.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Got a giggle out of the bolded. I agree he hasn’t been great, definitely not the type of performance one would want to see from a player who has been bantered to be in the NHL next season. He might be ok as an injury call up, but I can’t see him in our lineup consistently.

How much worse can he be than Polak?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So Nolan Vesey is worth a 7th, but if Bracco doesn't make an NHL roster he's worthless?:huh:

I’m high on Bracco, and he’d obviously have some sort of return but he’s likely not going to be the centrepiece of a deal for a desired asset without proving himself more at least at the AHL level.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I've got a saying; "Don't be Peter Chiarelli"
The guy traded two superstars (Ironically both Tyler and Taylor) for bags of pucks.

I have this thought in my head like a 20 year old Seguin walked into the post season meetings with Chiarelli and told the GM to stick it up his bleep. Then Chiarelli decided that the kid was too immature/unprofessional/uncoachable whatever to be worth keeping and opted for a trade.

I don't care if Merkley has issues. I care if he's a sociopath dude who likes to kill small animals. I would make no real attributions on the ultimate maturity of any player until they are 24 years of age or older. If Merkley is the best talent and might drop due to "being 17", I'd take him 100 times out of 100.

Reactions: Menzinger

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The guy traded two superstars (Ironically both Tyler and Taylor) for bags of pucks.

I have this thought in my head like a 20 year old Seguin walked into the post season meetings with Chiarelli and told the GM to stick it up his bleep. Then Chiarelli decided that the kid was too immature/unprofessional/uncoachable whatever to be worth keeping and opted for a trade.

I don't care if Merkley has issues. I care if he's a sociopath dude who likes to kill small animals. I would make no real attributions on the ultimate maturity of any player until they are 24 years of age or older. If Merkley is the best talent and might drop due to "being 17", I'd take him 100 times out of 100.

The thing with Merkley is, I don't care if he has some issues, but there has to be some sort of worth while gamble on him to select him with a 1st round pick. ie. How much better is he than the other options that would be available? Is he worth the pick ahead of (Dellandrea, Miller, Noel, Bokk) who might not have the risk associated with it.

Reactions: saltming

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Again, it's not that he's just kind of rude to people and likes to party too much, he genuinely doesn't care about the defensive end at all. Talented kids who spent 3 years in juniors working tirelessly on their defensive game still aren't good enough sometimes, I don't have high hopes for a kid that slacked off instead and has to gain 2+ years worth of ground now.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Again, it's not that he's just kind of rude to people and likes to party too much, he genuinely doesn't care about the defensive end at all. Talented kids who spent 3 years in juniors working tirelessly on their defensive game still aren't good enough sometimes, I don't have high hopes for a kid that slacked off instead and has to gain 2+ years worth of ground now.
yeah he's also not a team player whatsoever. he's fine with losing as long as he can get some points. @93LEAFS has been very clear and informative on the kind of person he is, and he's just not a fit for the team like the leafs. he'll likely be picked by a desperate franchise and not pan out due to all these issues

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
yeah he's also not a team player whatsoever. he's fine with losing as long as he can get some points. @93LEAFS has been very clear and informative on the kind of person he is, and he's just not a fit for the team like the leafs. he'll likely be picked by a desperate franchise and not pan out due to all these issues

I could see a team with a ton of picks taking a punt on him because it mitigates the risk somewhat, but I'd be pissed if we used our 1st or 2nd rounders on him

Reactions: Walshy7

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him in the 3rd, same idea as the Rangers taking Sean Day and hoping for the best. I wouldn't want him playing on the team unless he pulls a miraculous 180 of course, but you could probably build his value up to more than a 3rd over a year or two.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Partying and not full focusing on your craft are signs of immaturity, and people grow out of them.

In my experiences in life, people rarely grow out of being shitty people. Your basic ability to interact with people is formed early on in life and tends to stick with you. I've seen people at work and school who need to mature, but generally, if someone is always moody, temperamental and in general just difficult to get along with, is something that develops in childhood and is hard to fix.

If you think that is what got Seguin traded you are mistaken. It involved pissing off the entire locker room, not ignoring authority.

I also disagree with the logic Merkley is a good player. Despite his offensive skill, his presence on the ice has had a negative effect on Guelph's goals for. Everyone talks about his high-percentage of points, but ignores the fact for 2 years running, Guelph has a better goal differential at 5v5 when he is on the bench. That is because he is an atrocious defender who lacks effort. Also, everyone ignores the times he tries his crazy plays when they lead directly to a turnover. He has great vision, but I question his overall hockey IQ. His risk/reward assessment isn't there.

If you want to compare people who don't want to take him to Chiarelli fine. But, in my eyes, do you want to be Garth Snow who repeatedly wasted picks due to not doing proper research such as Ho-Sang, Kabanov, Rich Pilon, etc.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017

Are we talking about #1 and #2 OA picks vs #20’s pick? Look how is Josh Ho Sang, he can’t even make the lineup in Islanders. I would rather bring someone who works hard and might have a chance to be developed vs marginal skilled player who doesn’t give a damn.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
If you want to compare people who don't want to take him to Chiarelli fine. But, in my eyes, do you want to be Garth Snow who repeatedly wasted picks due to not doing proper research such as Ho-Sang, Kabanov, Rich Pilon, etc.

Nah, I don't know a thing about Merkely so i'm for sure not making a direct comparison. Just a broad point that there's a difference between maturity and being a mean person ... as you pointed out. If he's well ahead of the pack at the pick # then i'm interested. If he's not, then it's a kinda of non issue anyway.

And I do trust your opinion on this.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Between Rosen and Dermott, I'm thinking this summer would be a good time to trade Gardiner for a decent RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad