Rumor: Progress on Mantha deal being made - shorter term than anticipated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Depends on what they tender him with. If they after offer north of $8,726,189 AAV then I say let him walk. Two 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd. That said, it sounds like Stevie is trying to get a deal done before FA opens. We need him to hold the fort down for at least another season or two, we will be much worse without him and that's a scary proposition.

Nobody is offering Mantha 9 mil right now...He hasn't done enough to be mentioned in this salary range. But yes hypothetically, I let him walk if we got 2 1st a 2nd and a 3rd

Reactions: hkydave04

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Nobody is offering Mantha 9 mil right now...He hasn't done enough to be mentioned in this salary range. But yes hypothetically, I let him walk if we got 2 1st a 2nd and a 3rd
I don;t think he's done enough to even hit 6 million. He's been the most inconsistent player on the wings the past few years and we can't pay him based on his alleged skill set. I say 3 years at 5.8 million.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don;t think he's done enough to even hit 6 million. He's been the most inconsistent player on the wings the past few years and we can't pay him based on his alleged skill set. I say 3 years at 5.8 million.

Inconsistent or not, the guy can produce. In his last 82 games he has 72 points. I think the absolute starting point on an extension is 6 mil. Then it depends on term going from there.

I like him, and I do believe that he has 40 goal potential, but he has to stay healthy and prove it. I'm on board for a 2 year deal, allowing us to retain him as an RFA for his next negotiation. I'd be happy if he signed a 2 year contract worth 6 mil per year, and then in 2 years time from now we re-assess.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Custance just posted an article saying that things are progressing with Mantha, but it sounds like it could be for as few as three years. It would allow Mantha another chance to cash in before he turns 30. It’s a risk though, for sure.

Bigger risk for Mantha than Detroit.
3 years is perfect for Detroit.

IMO, if I were him, I'd sign a one-year deal or a generous 7-year deal.
He's in his prime right now. He should be negotiating the contract the contract that will set him up for life, not a bridge deal that takes him to 29.
Honestly, I'm not sure how much value Mantha has beyond 30.
If you signed him to a 7 year deal, the first 3-4 years are probably the best years he's got - if healthy. And that's been a problem for him.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What do we care how long the deal is?

If its 3 years cause we think he wants to not as a UFA then we don't want him

If its 3 years and he blows his stats out of the water, good for us, pay the man

If its 3 years and he just blows, then we either walk away or sign him for less

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What do we care how long the deal is?

If its 3 years cause we think he wants to not as a UFA then we don't want him

If its 3 years and he blows his stats out of the water, good for us, pay the man

If its 3 years and he just blows, then we either walk away or sign him for less

It's probably 3 years because the Wings do not want to pay what he wants over 5 or 7 years.

The real risk is Mantha blowing up. Then at 29 you have to make a real hard call about paying a guy who's probably past his prime.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
One thing that struck me this morning is that Steve isn’t afraid of UFA. Hell, he let Stamkos hit the market and he still brought him back on a mutually beneficial deal. I assume he has a similar mindset to Mantha’s next deal.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
That's a Bertuzzi deal not a Mantha deal, Probably 3 x 5 million or 3 x 5.5 million would be my guess.
Would be a huge steal at that deal. If he's not in our long term plans and continues to play at his same PPG pace we will get a haul for him. Honestly 4 x 6.5 would be ideal for me, as he will still be in his prime when the deal is up and gets another year on the contract for future trade value. I could see Mantha not wanting that though, given the potential pay day he could earn as an UFA.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we are going to get Perfetti, better trade Mantha for couple of high picks.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I just qualify Mantha and see if anyone offers him a contract.

If it’s a good number and term that I like, I take it. If it’s not, I take the picks

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Custance just posted an article saying that things are progressing with Mantha, but it sounds like it could be for as few as three years. It would allow Mantha another chance to cash in before he turns 30. It’s a risk though, for sure.
Custance speculated it could be 3 years he never said it would be 3 years. Mantha was interviewed in Montreal a few days ago and said that it was progressing nicely. And a new deal could be reached in a few weeks and it could be a long term deal. Generally you don't just purchase a new home if the deal is short term.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think slightly differently than most here.

I like shorter term deals on players... we always get a much better cap hit.
Everyone is worried about players walking when they hit UFA, because then a player finally can leverage other GM's. Yes that's true. But we should wait until they have that leverage to pay them too much. Don't pay them too much now, just to avoid that choice later.

I have a feeling we are going to get Mantha and Bertuzzi signed for numbers much below where people think they will be paid now.
I think Mantha's salary starts with a 5, and Bertuzzi short term starts with a 3, or long term (4-5 yrs) starts with a 4.

If everything goes well for us.. Detroit should be getting good by then, and these players will want to stay in a winning organization. I am not worried about people walking, I'm worried that we pay people too much on long term deals that they don't deserve. And I don't think anyone on our team is a 6.5-7M dollar player. They are all players getting more playing time than they deserve because we have so few options.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I noticed that Gallagher’s contract gets as high as 9 and as low as 4 (6.5 aav). Is it possible to front load a contract for Mantha starting it at 8 and ending it at like 4 over like 6 years?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I noticed that Gallagher’s contract gets as high as 9 and as low as 4 (6.5 aav). Is it possible to front load a contract for Mantha starting it at 8 and ending it at like 4 over like 6 years?
He won’t want the money front loaded. He’ll want the final year to be the highest for his next contract. Unless it’s in the form of a signing bonus in the first year.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
As a rebuilding team you don’t rush out to give a long term contract to an unproven 26 year old. I’m happy with 3 years @ 4.75M-5.5M

Mantha probably isn’t seeing the dollar amount at a longer term from Yzerman so they’re settling with a prove it contract and it makes sense for both sides. Mantha just doesn’t have the resume to justify 6M+ long term

Reactions: FMichael

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
2-years, $5.5 million.

Mantha will want to prove he can stay healthy and productive for two years then cash in on his next contract.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I might be on an island here, but my concern over Mantha's deal is at a zero. And not just whether he signs, but for what type of deal. I trust Yzerman enough that he will figure out something that's decent enough for both sides short term, and then see whether Mantha can earn a spot in long term plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad