Rumor: Progress on Mantha deal being made - shorter term than anticipated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Custance just posted an article saying that things are progressing with Mantha, but it sounds like it could be for as few as three years. It would allow Mantha another chance to cash in before he turns 30. It’s a risk though, for sure.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Custance just posted an article saying that things are progressing with Mantha, but it sounds like it could be for as few as three years. It would allow Mantha another chance to cash in before he turns 30. It’s a risk though, for sure.
That’s creepy lol... you beat me to it ha

Reactions: DInTheB

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Mantha betting on himself again. Wings get a deal on the AAV most likely as we are buying less UFA years, but the risk is that 29 year old Mantha will walk while he's still in his prime. I can see why Mantha wouldn't want to sign a 5 year deal as his next contract would be when he's ~32 and probably on the decline. Very risky for both player and team but maybe that's the best deal for both sides.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Mantha betting on himself again. Wings get a deal on the AAV most likely as we are buying less UFA years, but the risk is that 29 year old Mantha will walk while he's still in his prime. I can see why Mantha wouldn't want to sign a 5 year deal as his next contract would be when he's ~32 and probably on the decline. Very risky for both player and team but maybe that's the best deal for both sides.

This is how I feel as well. It seems like a good compromise where both parties have skin in the game to make it work. Bigger gamble for Mantha though, for sure.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Ya wouldnt surprise me if its a shorter deal , mantha looks like someone who wants the big coin , if he signs 2 years instead of a longterm contract be prepared to see him go

Yzerman wont hesitate to move him

Reactions: hkydave04

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I know that realistically this is Mantha trying to set himself up for a nice paying long term contract after a few years of consistency, but it makes me a bit nervous knowing he could be hitting UFA status right at his prime. Maybe he takes that as an opportunity to jump ship to someone who will pay him a bit more.

Interesting development. Glad to have some DRW news nonetheless. Let’s hope the next seasons are good ones for the core as a whole and Mantha buys into staying long term.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
He has yet to put together a 82 game season or 50 pt season. I would think his value has a lot more room to go up than it does to go down.

Sure, and I guess since we don’t know what’s been discussed, we can’t make any definitive statements. That said, I would assume we have discussed long term deals with him that would come with a nice AAV for Mantha. He’s probably leaving something solid on the table to get on himself, which is commendable.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sure, and I guess since we don’t know what’s been discussed, we can’t make any definitive statements. That said, I would assume we have discussed long term deals with him that would come with a nice AAV for Mantha. He’s probably leaving something solid on the table to get on himself, which is commendable.

Yeah, I am just saying if it was me personally, I would bet on myself too :dunno:. Because I think he is a much better player than what the stats would say for a contract negotiation.

He really just needs to stay healthy and I think he has a really good chance at increasing his value. Hard to keep momentum as a scorer when you are battling injuries like he has been.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
He has yet to put together a 82 game season or 50 pt season. I would think his value has a lot more room to go up than it does to go down.
I think Mantha and his team agrees, but he is probably leaving money on the table by taking a shorter term deal. If things don't come together for him, which I think they will, he might not be in for that big of a payday.

So, we're getting a timeline on when to expect Mantha to be dealt.
Honestly, wouldn't shock me. Let him have a big season or two then sell him for a 1st or a legit prospect. If the AAV/Cap hit is reasonable he will be very desirable. He can hold the fort down while Zadina and others develop. As has been talked about, Zadina and him play the same position on the PP. Bert and Larkin are probably the bigger character/locker room guys at this point too. Not that Moe isn't a good locker room guy, but I think his influence on this team's gritty, scrappy character runs through Bert and Larkin. Both guys give 100%.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Can't wait for those Montreal rumors! :P
I would take Bergevin to the cleaners if rumors of him moving picks for Wingers is true. Especially because Mantha speaks French! Two first round picks coming right up!

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Not for it. it would bring mantha to FA right? Best bet is to lock him up long term now before he starts getting really productive seasons in upping his price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad