Rumor: Progress on Mantha deal being made - shorter term than anticipated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't understand why we would sign him for 3 years. Either go 2 years and allow us to lock him up then as an RFA, or go long term. What's the point of signing him to a 3 year deal. He's just gonna walk after the 3 years and hit the UFA market hoping to cash in.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I don't understand why we would sign him for 3 years. Either go 2 years and allow us to lock him up then as an RFA, or go long term. What's the point of signing him to a 3 year deal. He's just gonna walk after the 3 years and hit the UFA market hoping to cash in.

Trade him with two years left if he doesn't want to extend for preferably 2 picks and a good prospect.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm not sure how much I want to pay Mantha at 30+ anyway. Especially if he can't string together a couple of full seasons prior to that time.

Reactions: njx9 and jkutswings
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm not sure how much I want to pay Mantha at 30+ anyway. Especially if he can't string together a couple of full seasons prior to that time.

Yeah but we could always trade him in a couple seasons if the team hasn't progressed enough. The fact that Mantha is on board for 3 years pretty much tells me that he's not entirely committed to winning with the Wings. If this is the case, I would honestly consider moving him right now. If I'm Yzerman, and I get the feeling that he wants to sign for 3 years and then hit the UFA market, I would seriously consider moving him now while he has a ton of value. If Yzerman let it be known that Mantha is available, I can only imagine there would be a massive bidding war for him.

I would hate to sign him for 3 years, only to see him walk. I know there would always be the option of trading him at the deadline, but I don't think we would get a ton of value if we're trading him as a rental without an extension in place.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Give him Larkin money 3 x $6,100,000 see if he can stay healthy for the next 3 years. Then cash in.

Cash in with another team..? That wouldn't be good asset management at all. Mantha is an RFA, he has no leverage.

There should be 3 options, and 3 options only.

A) sign him to a longterm 7 year deal
B) sign him to a 2 year deal and retain his rights as an RFA
C) trade him right now and hit the jackpot while his value is high.

A 3 year deal doesn't make any sense, I'm actually shocked that Yzerman would even consider this.

Reactions: ealong59

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I dont think yzerman will sign him till hes 37/38 sucks but i think its a matter of time before he goes

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
He’ll be dealt before that

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So no QO to 30 goal scorer AA?

Because he was not good in 19-20 and he's not worth 3M+ to a cap strapped team like Edmonton.

Also, AA is a 30 goal scorer like Jonathan Cheechoo is a 50 goal scorer. It happened, but if you're buying him expecting it, you're going to be disappointed.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Ideally get him to commit to 5 yrs (a happy medium between 3 & 7 yrs) should work for both parties & he can still garner a good contract @age 32. By then his offensive peak will be ~maxed, but he'd likely still be very productive & a good trade chip.

Reactions: ealong59

GOZetterberg

Dec 10, 2019
I remember Mantha saying he was hoping for a long-term contract, guess it all depends on what Stevie has in mind

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I remember Mantha saying he was hoping for a long-term contract, guess it all depends on what Stevie has in mind

I think Mantha has said he wants to be in Detroit, but I don’t remember specifying a long term deal. And certainly don’t think he would publicly say he changed his mind on a long term deal after the flat cap was put into effect.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah but we could always trade him in a couple seasons if the team hasn't progressed enough. The fact that Mantha is on board for 3 years pretty much tells me that he's not entirely committed to winning with the Wings. If this is the case, I would honestly consider moving him right now. If I'm Yzerman, and I get the feeling that he wants to sign for 3 years and then hit the UFA market, I would seriously consider moving him now while he has a ton of value. If Yzerman let it be known that Mantha is available, I can only imagine there would be a massive bidding war for him.

I would hate to sign him for 3 years, only to see him walk. I know there would always be the option of trading him at the deadline, but I don't think we would get a ton of value if we're trading him as a rental without an extension in place.

We might want a big trade chip in three years to bring in a very specific piece as we see more of our prospects develop. Dealing Mantha could bring in that piece and free up a good chunk of cap space at just the right time.

Or they just re-sign him.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I don't have an issue with 3 years. If we are close to contending and he is healthy/producing then you resign him. If he continues as is then its no real sweat. If we aren't out of the rebuild phase, then we have a really solid trade chip.

All of his injuries have been odd one offs. Sort of reminds me of Kronner when he entered the league. His game could actually hold up really well into his late 30s if he bucks the freaky injury train.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't have an issue with 3 years. If we are close to contending and he is healthy/producing then you resign him. If he continues as is then its no real sweat. If we aren't out of the rebuild phase, then we have a really solid trade chip.

All of his injuries have been odd one offs. Sort of reminds me of Kronner when he entered the league. His game could actually hold up really well into his late 30s if he bucks the freaky injury train.

Yeah but you can get way more in a deal for a signed Mantha than a rental Mantha. It doesn't make sense to sign him to a 3 year deal. Sign him to a longer extension, and if we still suck in 3 years then you trade him with term left, which gets you a better return than trading a UFA Mantha as a rental.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Trade him with two years left if he doesn't want to extend for preferably 2 picks and a good prospect.

That works if you are in the basement, but if you're team is making a run typically those types of trades dont happen and you just loose him for nothing. Its like the Leafs a few years ago with JVR.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Suppose there is a Montreal offer sheet.

When do you let him go?
Depends on what they tender him with. If they after offer north of $8,726,189 AAV then I say let him walk. Two 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd. That said, it sounds like Stevie is trying to get a deal done before FA opens. We need him to hold the fort down for at least another season or two, we will be much worse without him and that's a scary proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad