Proposal: Price to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
Question for Habs fans. Do you think Price keeps being effective into his high thirties and won't close the window of opportunity of the Avs early, because his albatross contract will ruin their cap?

I think the Avs window is now and for the next 2 to 4 years with that core coming into their prime and how much longer they will have once contracts are up, etc.

If your goal is to win a cup sooner rather than later with this core then making a play for an elite goalie like Price who will give you a good 3 to 5 years is a smart move. It's easy to crap all over Carey and look at his numbers, but what you have to realize is that the team in front of him is garbage, he has had to do everything and carry the team on his back (hence the salary) every single game and I think right now he is just tired of it and frustrated and wants to win. He just cannot do it by himself.

Put him on a team with a strong defensive group and tons of firepower and he will perform in vintage form. I think players in the league know that and will feel very confident with a guy like that backstopping them as opposed to a guy like Grubs, and you cannot be serious if you think otherwise.

I don't think my offer is that bad if it ends up with the Avs winning a cup or more from it. If the price is an unproven prospect and a 1st then how on earth is that an overpayment? Everyone here seems to value futures more than currents, but the reality is you need to give something of value to get a guy like Price, even with a bloated contract (where we would be retaining as well). To just laugh it off is silly when you look at the potential for Cup returns here.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
I think the Avs window is now and for the next 2 to 4 years with that core coming into their prime and how much longer they will have once contracts are up, etc.

If your goal is to win a cup sooner rather than later with this core then making a play for an elite goalie like Price who will give you a good 3 to 5 years is a smart move. It's easy to crap all over Carey and look at his numbers, but what you have to realize is that the team in front of him is garbage, he has had to do everything and carry the team on his back (hence the salary) every single game and I think right now he is just tired of it and frustrated and wants to win. He just cannot do it by himself.

Put him on a team with a strong defensive group and tons of firepower and he will perform in vintage form. I think players in the league know that and will feel very confident with a guy like that backstopping them as opposed to a guy like Grubs, and you cannot be serious if you think otherwise.

I don't think my offer is that bad if it ends up with the Avs winning a cup or more from it. If the price is an unproven prospect and a 1st then how on earth is that an overpayment? Everyone here seems to value futures more than currents, but the reality is you need to give something of value to get a guy like Price, even with a bloated contract (where we would be retaining as well). To just laugh it off is silly when you look at the potential for Cup returns here.
Would not take Price with current contract for free. No goalie is worth that much of the cap.

Reactions: TS Quint

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Its such a gamble. Yes, taking Price now and winning 2 Cups is worth sucking with his contract for the next 8 years, but we HAVE to win those Cups now then. No guarantees there, but I can easily see the argument for going for it. I doubt Sakic is that risky though.

But at the same time, we are doing the Habs a huge favor taking that contract away so they can get a real rebuild going. I wouldnt send much in terms of value the other way outside of conditional picks.

Reactions: Rico Suave

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Then make everything conditional on the Avs winning a cup.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Its such a gamble. Yes, taking Price now and winning 2 Cups is worth sucking with his contract for the next 8 years, but we HAVE to win those Cups now then. No guarantees there, but I can easily see the argument for going for it. I doubt Sakic is that risky though.

But at the same time, we are doing the Habs a huge favor taking that contract away so they can get a real rebuild going. I wouldnt send much in terms of value the other way outside of conditional picks.

Except the Habs don't need capspace from Price's contract AND Price is playing consistently well for the Habs. Take a look at the Habs' backup GAA's (excluding Cayden Primeau who has been stellar) compared to Price's GAA this season.

You aren't doing the Habs a favor by taking on his contract. We need a star goaltender.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
The OP is definitely not good but Colorado fans need to stop acting like Price's contract with a 25% retention is bad.

Price is 32 and the contract takes him to 38. Goalies can till much older than players. I'm sure Colorado fans would take Fleury in a hearth beat, well he is 35, making $7M and his contract takes him to 37. A pretty similar situation in terms of age and Cap at the end of both contracts.

Remember the last time your team got an elite goalie in his 30s from Montreal. Just for this painful memory, the only way Habs would offer Pice at 75% is with a massive over-payment.
Maybe you learn the CBA rules before telling others what a good contract is... Team can retain a maximum of 50%

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Maybe you learn the CBA rules before telling others what a good contract is... Team can retain a maximum of 50%
Maybe you should take your own advice. The person you quoted said 25% retention. The 75% they mentioned refers to Price at 75% of his cap, as a trade asset.

Reactions: Cenzo_

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Has some talking head recently opined that Colorado needs a goalie? It'd explain the glut of recent proposals.

The Avs' tandem is perfectly fine. No need at this time for Colorado to spend assets in search of a fix for something not broken.

Reactions: Kaizer

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
No GM is taking Price. Even at max retention, he isn't any better than your average NHL starter these days (in fact, you could make the argument that he is much worse), so why bother? Every team has better options available or could easily obtain one for much cheaper than Price, even at max retention. There is no deal to be made, anywhere.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Maybe you work on your reading comprehension a bit more, Price with a 25% retention = Price at 75% (of his current salary) ;)
My bad I misunderstood ,but either way that contract still sucks, at 7million he's still the third highest paid goalie and he's signed until he's 38 and he has a history of major injuries.... And the guy said he would want a massive overpayment

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Except the Habs don't need capspace from Price's contract AND Price is playing consistently well for the Habs. Take a look at the Habs' backup GAA's (excluding Cayden Primeau who has been stellar) compared to Price's GAA this season.

You aren't doing the Habs a favor by taking on his contract. We need a star goaltender.
Who exactly are we talking about then?

Kincaid? The guy who passed through waivers? The guy no one wanted for free?

Niemi? A goalie who’s numbers are terrible this year and last?

4 game Charlie Lindgren?

I mean, cmon on. You can try to argue Price’s play and consistency. But using his backups, who aren’t even NhL caliber as proof isn’t the right way of going about it.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Who exactly are we talking about then?

Kincaid? The guy who passed through waivers? The guy no one wanted for free?

Niemi? A goalie who’s numbers are terrible this year and last?

4 game Charlie Lindgren?

I mean, cmon on. You can try to argue Price’s play and consistency. But using his backups, who aren’t even NhL caliber as proof isn’t the right way of going about it.

Go to last season... or the season prior. Backups have struggled in Montreal because of the Habs style of play. They don't protect the goaltender. WHy? Because when you have Price in the fold you don't need to protect him.

As for Grubauer and the other guy.... well i think they are well protected.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Go to last season... or the season prior. Backups have struggled in Montreal because of the Habs style of play. They don't protect the goaltender. WHy? Because when you have Price in the fold you don't need to protect him.

As for Grubauer and the other guy.... well i think they are well protected.

Grubauer and francouz face plenty of rubber and both sport better numbers than price. Just saying.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Grubauer and francouz face plenty of rubber and both sport better numbers than price. Just saying.

Put Grubauer and the other guy on the Habs.... they likely fall into backup territory. Because the shots that Price faces is far more dangerous than what Grubauer and the other guy faces. I really doubt either would produce similar GAA's.

But good luck with that tandem in the playoffs. You are gonna need it! ;)

Rico Suave

Jan 30, 2019
No GM is taking Price. Even at max retention, he isn't any better than your average NHL starter these days (in fact, you could make the argument that he is much worse), so why bother? Every team has better options available or could easily obtain one for much cheaper than Price, even at max retention. There is no deal to be made, anywhere.
okayyyy relax now buddy Lol every GM would take Price at 5mill :laugh:

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
So, take him away from Weber and Petry and put Makar and Girard in front of him and he'll do better...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
So, take him away from Weber and Petry and put Makar and Girard in front of him and he'll do better...

Yes, because the rest of the team, the forwards etc. do not factor in team defense. Well supported argument. lol

If you truly believe Grubauer faces the same quality of shots as Price.... well good luck to ya.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
okayyyy relax now buddy Lol every GM would take Price at 5mill :laugh:
None would. There are guys on entry level deals who are hungrier and will match or exceed his level of play. That's not even an impressive feat at this point. Price is not an elite goalie anymore; he's barely starter quality at this point.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Put Grubauer and the other guy on the Habs.... they likely fall into backup territory. Because the shots that Price faces is far more dangerous than what Grubauer and the other guy faces. I really doubt either would produce similar GAA's.

But good luck with that tandem in the playoffs. You are gonna need it! ;)

Grub was not the problem in last year playoff.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Yes, because the rest of the team, the forwards etc. do not factor in team defense. Well supported argument. lol

If you truly believe Grubauer faces the same quality of shots as Price.... well good luck to ya.
I don't watch Montreal but I do watch Colorado and Grubeauer isn't exactly getting an easy ride. Although if that's your premise, that the Avs D is so much better, then the Avs don't really need a $10 million goalie then, do they? Maybe peddle Price to a team like Carolina that gives up the most high danger chances in the league so he can bail them out.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
In fairness, i am open to watching the Avs compete this year and evaluating the goaltending. Will be interesting.

Even if Grub is not an all star, you will be suprise. I feel like the ''Avs need a Goalie'' opinion has been overblown as f***

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't watch Montreal but I do watch Colorado and Grubeauer isn't exactly getting an easy ride. Although if that's your premise, that the Avs D is so much better, then the Avs don't really need a $10 million goalie then, do they? Maybe peddle Price to a team like Carolina that gives up the most high danger chances in the league so he can bail them out.

I agree - Avs don't need an All-Star goalie. They appear to be doing well with Grubauer and the other guy.

Habs need an all-star goalie to play Vezina quality just to make the playoffs. The style of play was built around Price. i.e. give up quality chances in order to create chances. Its not ideal at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad