Proposal: Price to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Their rookie goaltender is good and playing behind a very good team D. Avs team is not as good as the Blues. I'm curious to see how far the Avs go in the playoffs and what are the comments if they fall short of expectations. I do think the narrative changes.

I think regardless of the results, Sakic will try to improve his team/keep the team competitive for the long term. If we win the cup, Sakic won't just stand pat and do nothing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think regardless of the results, Sakic will try to improve his team/keep the team competitive for the long term. If we win the cup, Sakic won't just stand pat and do nothing.

It's early in the cup building block process. This playoffs is all about testing to see if you can go farther than last year.

Lots of cap space and a good prospect pool. It's a good situation today for sure. Sakic needs to monitor it moving forward

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Their rookie goaltender is good and playing behind a very good team D. Avs team is not as good as the Blues. I'm curious to see how far the Avs go in the playoffs and what are the comments if they fall short of expectations. I do think the narrative changes.
Honestly I think Grubauer is just as good as Binnington.

St. Louis was definitely better last year, no doubt about that. This year? Arguable. We have a way different team now. We just put the boots to the Blues in our last 2 games against them. In addition, we're only a point behind them in the standings with a game in hand. + we have more wins, ROW, and our goal differential is colossal compared to them and literally every other team in the western conference, and that's with one of the toughest strength of schedule for the first half. Not here to say we should be shoe-ins for the division title and are definitely better.

I'm just saying that things have changed, and maybe this new Avs team is actually better than the Blues? I think we'll have to wait until the playoffs to learn about that. I'll give STL the benefit of the doubt as they are the champs, but no clear statement can really be made.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly I think Grubauer is just as good as Binnington.

St. Louis was definitely better last year, no doubt about that. This year? Arguable. We have a way different team now. We just put the boots to the Blues in our last 2 games against them. In addition, we're only a point behind them in the standings with a game in hand. + we have more wins, ROW, and our goal differential is colossal compared to them and literally every other team in the western conference, and that's with one of the toughest strength of schedule for the first half. Not here to say we should be shoe-ins for the division title and are definitely better.

I'm just saying that things have changed, and maybe this new Avs team is actually better than the Blues? I think we'll have to wait until the playoffs to learn about that. I'll give STL the benefit of the doubt as they are the champs, but no clear statement can really be made.

Blues team D is among the best in the NHL and their forwards are skilled, skate well, and have size. Avs not build to win like this at the moment. Can you win like the Pens with average D? That's a rare situation if you ask me

Not going to force Price onto you guys but I do see why this idea keeps popping up

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I keep hearing that Colorado needs to upgrade their goaltending and given our infamous trading history with the Avs I figure why not hand you another couple of cups, only this time maybe get a better return. What do you think of:

Grubauer, Byram and a 1st in 2020, 2nd in 2021
for
Price (25% retained), Scandella (or whatever depth player you want) and Nate Thompson

2 years from now I am guessing the Price contract causes some cap issues, but who knows what the league will look like then. For now it gives a very good team a very good goalie and a chance at winning a few cups which I think is worth the asking price.
You heard wrong. Our goaltending is just fine.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The two common Avs misconceptions reunited under one single thread:

1- Avs need to upgrade goaltending
2- Avs would consider trading Byram for immediate help

Impressive.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Colorado says no to absolutely any trade scenario involving trading a cost controlled assett in Byram for an overpaid past his prime goalie. Everytime this thread is made I have to pop in and make It known lol

Last edited:

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Blues team D is among the best in the NHL and their forwards are skilled, skate well, and have size. Avs not build to win like this at the moment. Can you win like the Pens with average D? That's a rare situation if you ask me

Not going to force Price onto you guys but I do see why this idea keeps popping up
Can the Pens win the cup this year? The answer is yes. Actually they have a great chance I'd say! Top 5 team right now imo.

Avs D isn't as good as St. Louis, totally agree. Doesn't need to be. Avs have solid enough defense, I think they're probably as good as Pittsburgh (but their forwards are better defensively). Makar is an absolute gamebreaker on the blueline and frankly I think he's better/going to be better rapidly than anyone on the STL PIT BOS rosters on defense. There would be some debates there for sure especially Letang/Pietrangelo and they're probably admittedly better right now. I'd bet on my guy moving forward.

Avs aren't a D-first team like STL that plays a much more (relative) structured system. Avs playoff strategy is try to score tons of goals and hopefully ride a hot goaltender. We've got 2 pretty good ones, and Gru has shown he can get very hot.

Avs forwards are better than STL. I'm sorry but this one is gonna be a tough one for you to argue. Avs are the #1 offense in the league. 22 goals in 1 less game than STL, which isn't a whole lot until you consider that the Avs are the best 5v5 scoring team in the league and their powerplay has been in the ditch all season long. Blues are deep as f*** with talent, they're heavy and responsible defensively, but the Avs were top heavy last year and added 4 productive players. Little deeper now.

The idea keeps popping up because you guys desperately subconsciously want to get rid of a contract you all know in your hearts is just terrible and cap bloating, even though it's a beloved player and current face of the franchise. And to a lesser extent the Roy thing.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Price was at one point the best goaltender in the world. He's still a pretty good one. But his contract has him getting paid like he's some unstoppable force that no team can get pucks by and locks a team in to winning in the playoffs.

Carey Price is 24-19-4 with a .913 SV% and a 2.70 GAA. Compared to Grubauer being 18-11-4 with a 915 SV% and a 2.64 GAA. Grubauer, until recently, has been hurt and playing fairly badly and he's still ending up with better numbers than Price.

I am not saying that Price wouldn't be better on Colorado than he is on Montreal. I am not saying that he'd not be better than Grubauer. But his contract makes him untradable. On top of it you throw in our top prospect, and one of the top in the world, and a first ALONG WITH Grubauer. Just absolutely mindblowingly bad proposal. I'll stick with what we have. No reason to give up those kind of assets for a mediocre upgrade.

Or how about we just roll with Pavel Francouz if it comes down to it. A player with better numbers than both Price and Grubauer (13-4, .925 SV%, 2.42 GAA).

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
There is absolutely no way Colorado is trading for him. Montreal would have to pay for Sakic to take him

Montreal is the only logical place for Price with that contract, because he is worth more to them than to the other teams (due to marketing value, sunken costs to hyping him up)

At this moment, Price would get about 3-4M$ per year for 1-2 seasons from another team. Montreal might pay 5-6M$, because he is more to them. So Price is less of an overpayed bust if he stays in Montreal

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Maybe not the 1st, but he isn't far off. The contract is that bad.
its really not that bad. Whats with that lazy narrative. He's getting paid 10.5M to carry one of the worst defensive teams to contention. He hasnt been able to do it on his own but then again has a player like Eichel, paid more, done more with the Sabres? Sure hes a superstar but on his own he cant even bring the sabres close to contention. Price can. Then you compare him to other top end goalies with similar contracts and his contract isnt all too bad.

If the Habs suddenly retain 1 to 2M per year, his contract is a a steal imo.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Colorado says no to absolutely any trade scenario involving trading a cost controlled assett in Byram for an overpaid past his prime goalie. Everytime this thread is made I have to pop in and make It known lol
lol so much is wrong here

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
its really not that bad. Whats with that lazy narrative. He's getting paid 10.5M to carry one of the worst defensive teams to contention. He hasnt been able to do it on his own but then again has a player like Eichel, paid more, done more with the Sabres? Sure hes a superstar but on his own he cant even bring the sabres close to contention. Price can. Then you compare him to other top end goalies with similar contracts and his contract isnt all too bad.

If the Habs suddenly retain 1 to 2M per year, his contract is a a steal imo.
Actually youre right. Right now TODAY, the $10.5 hit isnt bad for the talent he brings. It is 22-23 to 25-26 that may be tough to watch when he is 36-40. I'd love him on COL today, but because of the term on his deal, you'd have to pay us to take him. 1-2 years at $10.5, sure, all day. Still not Byram, but if he was strictly a rental, I'd love him.

Reactions: Legend123

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Price is not going to make our forwards bigger or make our Dmen as good as the Blues D lol. Yes, we can win with Grubauer; we might not win but thats because only one team win the cup every year. Its sustained competiviness that we are trying to accomplish and hopefully win the big one during that span. A 33 year old Price shortens our competitive window, a cost controlled top Dman prospect lengthens it.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
No team should be willing to pay their goalies over 8.5 imo, and even that scares me for long term contracts. Goalies are way too fickle to spend large chunks of cap space on considering the parity among most starters in the league.

If Colorado’s goalies can’t carry them to a cup, shore up other areas that are weak throughout the team because they certainly aren’t going to cost them a series and that’s all that is needed from your Keeper in this day and age.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Question for Avs fans. Do you think you can compete / win the cup with Grubauer? Simple yes/no will suffice.
Compete - 100%

Outside of the Blues, who the Avs can go toe to toe with, the West is very winnable. Even a series with the Blues, I could see going 6-7 games. Whoever comes out of the East scares me. Obviously we want to win the Cup, but the Western Conference Finals or even Finals is a huge win for this young team who will stay in tact and only add Byram/Newhook next season.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
What's wrong? Avs won't trade Byram, and price is nowhere near a 10m price tag. In his prime one could argue he is but not now, not even close.
price isnt past his prime and is playing at an elite level. Just watch some Habs games before talking nonsense. You dont need to trade Byram, I would never want to if I was an avs fan, but slandering bs on price is plain stupid.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Price is a literal ANCHOR. His cap hit doubles the fact. I'd rather have ELVIS @$4-5M for a few years over Price's daddy contract.

After that, you expect value from the deal. Joke. MTL f***ed up and get to have a $10.5M goalie when they should be rebuilding. Have fun.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
price isnt past his prime and is playing at an elite level. Just watch some Habs games before talking nonsense. You dont need to trade Byram, I would never want to if I was an avs fan, but slandering bs on price is plain stupid.

Price isn't even top 5 this year and makes 10m annually. 10m a year I'd expect he's at the very least top 3 and he most definitely used to be. But not anymore. If you can't see that then sorry but I'm sure there's a general consensus that he isn't what he once was and that goes for alot of goalies going into their mid 30s.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Have fun paying him $10.5M for 6 more years. No other team will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avaholic29
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad