Proposal: Price to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
My bad I misunderstood ,but either way that contract still sucks, at 7million he's still the third highest paid goalie and he's signed until he's 38 and he has a history of major injuries.... And the guy said he would want a massive overpayment

Sending Roy to Colorado was possibly the Habs biggest mistake in franchise history. Since that trade the Habs have been a bad to slightly above mediocre team. And it’s been 26 years...

This wound is still open for the majority of Habs fan (it’s a religion for many) If you think that sending AGAIN a goalie to a Colorado that is still considered by many good hockey people elite while being stuck with a $2.5M cap hit for the next 6 years won’t take a massive overpayment, you have little understanding of the hockey business

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Sending Roy to Colorado was possibly the Habs biggest mistake in franchise history. Since that trade the Habs have been a bad to slightly above mediocre team. And it’s been 26 years...

This wound is still open for the majority of Habs fan (it’s a religion for many) If you think that sending AGAIN a goalie to a Colorado that is still considered by many good hockey people elite while being stuck with a $2.5M cap hit for the next 6 years won’t take a massive overpayment, you have little understanding of the hockey business
And if you think teams are lining up to "overpay" for a goalie who is in his 30's has an injury history and is expensive even at 75% than maybe it's not me who's lacking in the hockey knowledge department

Reactions: Avaholic29

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Go to last season... or the season prior. Backups have struggled in Montreal because of the Habs style of play. They don't protect the goaltender. WHy? Because when you have Price in the fold you don't need to protect him.

As for Grubauer and the other guy.... well i think they are well protected.
I did go to last season... I specified Niemi. The same Niemi who’s stinking it up this year as well.

The year prior to that...Niemi significantly outperformed Price.

The point is, the Habs have never employed quality back ups. So constantly comparing Prices stats to these guys is pointless. The Habs have never run a platoon system.

There’s no justification for the Avs to not only make a major sacrifice to their cap situation, but to also give up prime assets in order to “hope” that Price does better than Grubauer when goaltending isn’t an issue.

When a team gives up assets and cap space to acquire a player, that player better damn well be a significant improvement. With goaltending, it’s far too fickle a position. There’s too much up and down from goaltenders year to year.

You don’t need the best goaltender to win. You need a solid goalie capable of getting hot. Grubauer has already shown to be capable of that.

The Avs are FAR better off investing the additional cap space, 1st round pick and Byram to continue to bolster the roster so that there’s even less for the goaltender to worry about.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
And if you think teams are lining up to "overpay" for a goalie who is in his 30's has an injury history and is expensive even at 75% than maybe it's not me who's lacking in the hockey knowledge department

I never said team are lining up to do so, I agree with you that it a most likely that no team is. I m just saying that it is what it would take to trade Price with 25% retention.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Except the Habs don't need capspace from Price's contract AND Price is playing consistently well for the Habs. Take a look at the Habs' backup GAA's (excluding Cayden Primeau who has been stellar) compared to Price's GAA this season.

You aren't doing the Habs a favor by taking on his contract. We need a star goaltender.
Right but Price being that star is preventing the Habs from ever moving forward. They've been stuck in mediocrity for now 5 years. Well be comparing to the Sabres soon about GM incompetence on the main board.

The Avs would love Price and were not even looking at it as doing the Habs "a favor". We just aren't dumb enough to throw $10.5M at a goalie until he is 40.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Right but Price being that star is preventing the Habs from ever moving forward. They've been stuck in mediocrity for now 5 years. Well be comparing to the Sabres soon about GM incompetence on the main board.

If Price was injured this season, the Habs would be competing for last in the NHL. So yeah, i agree with your assessment that he is keeping the Habs from tanking. But when they signed him longterm, the Habs were in compete mode.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I keep hearing that Colorado needs to upgrade their goaltending and given our infamous trading history with the Avs I figure why not hand you another couple of cups, only this time maybe get a better return. What do you think of:

Grubauer, Byram and a 1st in 2020, 2nd in 2021
for
Price (25% retained), Scandella (or whatever depth player you want) and Nate Thompson

2 years from now I am guessing the Price contract causes some cap issues, but who knows what the league will look like then. For now it gives a very good team a very good goalie and a chance at winning a few cups which I think is worth the asking price.
Can see now why Sakic inquired about him. Price has .934% save percentage in last 4 playoff series. Oilers can use him also. Imagine .934 sitting in their nest look good now?

Reactions: Gravity

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I really believe Avs goaltending will get exposed in the playoffs in key moments. Not sold on their B level starters. Will be fun to watch.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Habs only option to move that contract is to convince Price to waive his NMC for the Seattle ED.
Gets Price close to his BC roots and gives MTL cap flexibility moving forward.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Colorado’s goaltending tandem lead the team to the 4th best save percentage in the entire NHL this season. They cost a combined 4.3M dollars.

I love Carey Price. Like way more than most people. But it’s absolutely absurd to think Joe Sakic would take him and his contract on with an expected 3 year flat cap and names like Landeskog and Makar being due for pay increases.

if something goes horribly wrong in the playoffs maybe Sakic starts looking for help but since Grubauer took over the starting role from Varlamov in March 2019, the Avs have the 3rd highest save percentage in the NHL. That’s not a small sample size either. We’re talking the last 85 regular season NHL games Colorado has the 3rd highest save percentage in all of hockey. Not to mention Grubauer put on an absolute clinic in the playoffs too. Plus Francouz has just as impressive, if not better numbers.

They may not be household star names, but Colorado is getting better goaltending than essentially every other team in the league outside of 2-3 teams. It’s certainly not a weakness.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Didn't even read the thread to say that Aves wont be taking that horrendous Price contract. Price got greedy and MB was stupid enough to sign him to that contract. Also the only way the Habs get out of that Price contract is if there is a actual buy out and that aint happening so we are stuck with that shit contract until it is done. We really should be like Panther fans and STFU about our bad goalie contract and not try and dump it onto other teams no one wants a goalie that gets a little hotter a little more often then other goalies at DOUBLE the god damn cap hit....

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Habs only option to move that contract is to convince Price to waive his NMC for the Seattle ED.

But why would Montreal need to move that contract? We have plenty of cap space and Price is still a top goalie in this league

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This is hilarious. I'm a Habs fan, born and raised so not biased against MTL. Price doesn't have ANY value, with his contract he has negative value. We'll have to pay to get rid of him, not the other way around. To think Colorado would pay that much for him? Jesus christ, you're delusional.
You sure about that?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Must been something to it or Sakic wouldn't inquired
Didn't even read the thread to say that Aves wont be taking that horrendous Price contract. Price got greedy and MB was stupid enough to sign him to that contract. Also the only way the Habs get out of that Price contract is if there is a actual buy out and that aint happening so we are stuck with that shit contract until it is done. We really should be like Panther fans and STFU about our bad goalie contract and not try and dump it onto other teams no one wants a goalie that gets a little hotter a little more often then other goalies at DOUBLE the god damn cap hit....

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Why do Habs have to move him. Did he say he wants out? Did I miss something?

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Must been something to it or Sakic wouldn't inquired
Sorry man I am a old time Habs fan but I really don't think Price is anything special outside of his vezina year which even Jose Theadore had a lightning in a bottle type of year. Price is basically a goalie that gets a bit hotter a little more often. That is it seriously no team should be signing a goalie to 10m+ a year hell not even 8m a year. All it takes is for a goalie to get hot at the right time(playoffs)

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
The difference between Gruaber and Price isn’t an Elite Prospect, a 1st and a 2nd *face palm*

the people who say Price has negative value are also a little foolish, but he is not worth what u think he will get with that contract and term

Reactions: Rico Suave

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
"B Level goaltending" Yes, B level goaltending that had the 4th best sv% in the entire league this year among both goalies, AND provided the very best value in the league for its starting goalies. Complete garbage really.

Are Habs fans going to be like this all playoffs long after Price has a decent game and if the Avs goaltending ever has a bad game?

Good f***ing lord what an insufferable fan base to deal with.

Reactions: Richard88

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
"B Level goaltending" Yes, B level goaltending that had the 4th best sv% in the entire league this year among both goalies, AND provided the very best value in the league for its starting goalies. Complete garbage really.

Are Habs fans going to be like this all playoffs long after Price has a decent game and if the Avs goaltending ever has a bad game?

Read what I have posted stop f***ing lumping all Habs fans together.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Let’s let the playoffs play out before anointing your goaltender tandem as money. They have much to prove before you can boast.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Let’s let the playoffs play out before anointing your goaltender tandem as money. They have much to prove before you can boast.
Lets not act like Price is some god in the playoffs either the guy has been garbage when you factor in his contract hes also only had ONE season that was 10m+ worthy and I bet he probably wont reach that type of performance again. Price was a mistake when it came to that contract Habs fans have to accept it and move on. No one is taking that garbage contract from us unless there is some serious sweeteners added on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad