Proposal: Price to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why would anyone trade for Price and why would anyone pay top assets for Price.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
it wont be fun only bcuz we need to rebuild. Price isnt allowing us to do so. Nothing about his contract

If one of the two highest paid goalies in the league isn't top 5 In Vezina voting there is an issue with the contract. No matter what team they are on lol

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Damn Price is underrated.
Overpaid by a few, sure. Still a top goalie.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
price isnt past his prime and is playing at an elite level. Just watch some Habs games before talking nonsense. You dont need to trade Byram, I would never want to if I was an avs fan, but slandering bs on price is plain stupid.

It's an unnecessary move, just like the Lundqvist proposal. Eastern teams stuck with stinky contracts and now the Eastern team fans come to the Avs and act like we're dumb not to be begging to take these bloated contracts for aging players off their hands and mortgage our future. We don't need Price so no thank you.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Question for Avs fans. Do you think you can compete / win the cup with Grubauer? Simple yes/no will suffice.
Question for Habs fans. Do you think Price keeps being effective into his high thirties and won't close the window of opportunity of the Avs early, because his albatross contract will ruin their cap?

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
A top 3 paid goalie (aav) hasn't won a cup since 2003 and I think it's actually top 5 but I'm too lazy to look it up

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Question for Habs fans. Do you think Price keeps being effective into his high thirties and won't close the window of opportunity of the Avs early, because his albatross contract will ruin their cap?

Price is performing worse than the AVs combo and salary will cost twice as much. With his bloated contract has negative value. It’ll take more than odder their 1st + prospect to dump his contract.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Can we please stop with the Price to Colorado discussion.

It doesn't make sens. Grub is not that far from Price (right now and in the futur).

OB5

May 2, 2015
I keep hearing that Colorado needs to upgrade their goaltending and given our infamous trading history with the Avs I figure why not hand you another couple of cups, only this time maybe get a better return. What do you think of:

Grubauer, Byram and a 1st in 2020, 2nd in 2021
for
Price (25% retained), Scandella (or whatever depth player you want) and Nate Thompson

2 years from now I am guessing the Price contract causes some cap issues, but who knows what the league will look like then. For now it gives a very good team a very good goalie and a chance at winning a few cups which I think is worth the asking price.
done. No tradebacks.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
The OP is definitely not good but Colorado fans need to stop acting like Price's contract with a 25% retention is bad.

Price is 32 and the contract takes him to 38. Goalies can till much older than players. I'm sure Colorado fans would take Fleury in a hearth beat, well he is 35, making $7M and his contract takes him to 37. A pretty similar situation in terms of age and Cap at the end of both contracts.

Remember the last time your team got an elite goalie in his 30s from Montreal. Just for this painful memory, the only way Habs would offer Pice at 75% is with a massive over-payment.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
The OP is definitely not good but Colorado fans need to stop acting like Price's contract with a 25% retention is bad.

Price is 32 and the contract takes him to 38. Goalies can till much older than players. I'm sure Colorado fans would take Fleury in a hearth beat, well he is 35, making $7M and his contract takes him to 37. A pretty similar situation in terms of age and Cap at the end of both contracts.

Remember the last time your team got an elite goalie in his 30s from Montreal. Just for this painful memory, the only way Habs would offer Pice at 75% is with a massive over-payment.
Two things:

1. I don't think any of the top goalies in the league are worth their current salaries (8+ million is too much for any goalie) because their value above replacement is just not that high. Any NHL-caliber goalie can and will have hot and cold streaks, and you need the hot streak to happen at the right time to win.

2. Grubauer is not a big downgrade from current Fleury, and while the gap is slightly bigger, isn't a joke compared to Price either. Downgrade, yes. Marginal, also yes. Factor in contracts and I don't want current Price for free.

Reactions: thefors

Rico Suave

Jan 30, 2019
forget stats Price is playing for a lottery team hes way better then Grubauer but i do agree that with that contract he wont fetch anything of real value unless another big bad contract comes back

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
forget stats Price is playing for a lottery team hes way better then Grubauer but i do agree that with that contract he wont fetch anything of real value unless another big bad contract comes back
Agreed. It’s crazy how the cap system has created a time when a guy like Price is a cap dump.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Price isn't even worth $8mil a year right now. Not a chance the Avs trade for him.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Holy f*** what an awful OP, the difference between Grub and Price most certainly isn’t Byram, a 1st and a 2nd. Love how Scandella and Thompson were thrown in as if that would tip the scales.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Agreed. It’s crazy how the cap system has created a time when a guy like Price is a cap dump.

He's not even a cap dump. He's essentially an unmovable contract because I don't see anyone taking on $10.5m for the next 6 years. That's a massive portion of the overall cap, for a 32 year old goalie whose best season was half a decade ago. The name of the game today is cap flexibility, and I'd much rather have a "good enough" goalie that I can replace if he's not good enough, and the cap space to keep our good youngsters.

Reactions: DallasGaume
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad