Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The current situation at Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal really illustrates how important it is that there's a cohesive approach to squad planning that matches the approach of the manager in question.

That is of course difficult to establish if you switch managers every 6-18 months, a situation in which the longer tenured executive staff will by default gain far too much influence over player recruitment and retention given their lack of expertise. Man United have looked like they've been steered by the same hand of mediocrity ever since Ferguson left..and they're on their 4th manager since then. The rot with them is almost certainly at a suite level above the manager.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The current situation at Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal really illustrates how important it is that there's a cohesive approach to squad planning that matches the approach of the manager in question.

That is of course difficult to establish if you switch managers every 6-18 months, a situation in which the longer tenured executive staff will by default gain far too much influence over player recruitment and retention given their lack of expertise. Man United have looked like they've been steered by the same hand of mediocrity ever since Ferguson left..and they're on their 4th manager since then. The rot with them is almost certainly at a suite level above the manager.

Not sure why you included Arsenal in this. They don't rotate managers like Chelsea.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Chelsea is certainly guilty of rotating managers like crazy, but this season is the first one in a long time where it looks like they actually have a cohesive plan, despite not buying anyone really, since they have bought into playing the youth that perfectly fit Lampard's style.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
When is Mesut Ozil going to play in another match? Sat out again.

His time at Arsenal has come and past at this point. I love the guy and his creative mind, but he is aging out of the team and there are younger players who are more effective in Unai's system right now.

Reactions: Rob

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
His time at Arsenal has come and past at this point. I love the guy and his creative mind, but he is aging out of the team and there are younger players who are more effective in Unai's system right now.
He looked like he is still our best option looking at Watford game.

Reactions: KJS14 and AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I would definitely think Özil is a very good option to have, we lack so much creativity in midfield and Ceballos really doesn't have any end product at all. Willock and Özil are probably our most effective creative midfielders.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I question Jorginho's classification as a DM, but whatever his stats are great this year. Funny that he has been miles better under Lampard than Sarri.

o4y0qem66qp31.jpg

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He looked like he is still our best option looking at Watford game.

I'm not saying he is a bad option, Ozil is one of my favorite players. Just that he is clearly out of favour here and has been for a while. Having his huge salary on the books is not great when there are more than capable options that can play better under Emery.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Chelsea have typically been very successful with that unorthodox approach, it does provide for some roller coaster years instead of sustained success though. The transfer ban may have forced us into building a long-term plan.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I question Jorginho's classification as a DM, but whatever his stats are great this year. Funny that he has been miles better under Lampard than Sarri.

o4y0qem66qp31.jpg
Now what if you added the great Scott McSauce McTominay to that graphic? Would it really be Jorginho sticking out? :sarcasm:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wasn't meant to be a hot take; just thought it was a nice article about a player that I feel is still underrated.
Didn't mean it was a hot take by you, but by the author. It's behind a paywall, so I can't read it, so maybe I was off on my assumption from the title. I just don't think he's underrated and that it's not shocking to say he's start for any team in the league.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Didn't mean it was a hot take by you, but by the author. It's behind a paywall, so I can't read it, so maybe I was off on my assumption from the title. I just don't think he's underrated and that it's not shocking to say he's start for any team in the league.
I can quote some excerpts without linking the whole article:

When Liverpool launched an online vote for their star player of September yesterday, the torrent of replies celebrated the claims of Joël Matip, then Fabinho, Roberto Firmino and Virgil van Dijk. Most of the team got a mention but there were few shouts for Georginio Wijnaldum.

When the reviews were published after Liverpool’s 1-0 win over Sheffield United on Saturday, the news agenda revolved around whether Matip is “the new Alan Hansen”, the latest tributes to Van Dijk’s masterful defending, and admiring notices for Andrew Robertson’s flying block to deny John Fleck.

The focus for Liverpool’s goal was inevitably on the goalkeeper, Dean Henderson’s, howler rather than on the scorer, Wijnaldum. Yet the Liverpool midfielder, 28, had typically taken up a promising position, lurking on the edge of the area for a clearance. His technique was good, meeting the ball on the volley, head still, his body imparting power, guiding it past the stretching Jack O’Connell, keeping it on target. It was Henderson’s name in the headlines, for letting the ball slip through his grasp, but Wijnaldum, quietly, had contributed. Again.

Even if he rarely receives the headlines he deserves, Wijnaldum can never be described as “unsung”. The overjoyed reaction of his team-mates highlighted how much the softly-spoken Dutchman is liked as well as the importance of the goal. Liverpool fans constantly sing his name, and rightly so because of his influence and his passion for the team. Their No 5 came on to score twice against Barcelona at Anfield in last season’s Champions League semi-final comeback at Anfield. He then started the final that Liverpool won in Madrid. He loves the big occasion, scoring against Brazil in their own backyard at the 2014 World Cup, against Germany in Hamburg last month, against France last year. Big names, bring them on. Wijnaldum has scored five times in his past nine internationals. He should be fêted more. It is no exaggeration to venture that Wijnaldum could walk into any midfield in the world.

Wijnaldum is so important to Liverpool, to Klopp, to his team-mates, to the fans. He does not risk giving the ball away lightly, shielding it with his body when challenged, showing his strength and determination. He is so much more than the ultimate continuity man, simply keeping moves ticking over. He is the brains in Liverpool’s midfield as well as one of the dynamos, often communicating with Klopp, always taking responsibility, and the manager trusts him implicitly.

Tomorrow should bring Wijnaldum’s 150th appearance for Liverpool since his £25 million move from Newcastle United in 2016. RB Salzburg are in town, and Klopp knows that he will need his most tactically sharp, industrious midfield players like Wijnaldum. Saturday should bring him a century of Premier League starts for Liverpool, in another challenging game, this time the visit of Brendan Rodgers’s vibrant Leicester City. Wijnaldum is increasingly Klopp’s go-to man.

Klopp appreciates the straight talking commonly found with Dutch footballers. When omitted from the starting line-up against Barcelona, Wijnaldum spoke afterwards of his “anger” towards the German. In some dressing rooms and with some players, that could be construed as an attack on the manager, rather than simply a sign of the player’s professionalism — more hunger than anger. The Klopp-Wijnaldum axis is vital for Liverpool, conveying tactical tweaks from bench to team.

He leads by example, fronting up on and off the field, not only stopping and talking to the media in the good times, but willingly putting himself forward to be the dressing-room spokesman in defeat.

After only his second game for Liverpool, the 2-0 loss away to Burnley in August 2016, a club official asked Wijnaldum whether “he would do the post-match?” He immediately did five broadcast interviews, dealt with the tricky questions adroitly and was thanked by the official. Wijnaldum looked surprised at the expression of gratitude. “You can’t just talk when you win,” he replied. Liverpool realised even more what a special character they had brought in.

One of the many qualities that Wijnaldum offers coaches is his versatility, something that Klopp noted from early in his career. Wijnaldum’s intelligence and mobility allow him to play a range of roles. Shortly after he signed for Liverpool, the Dutch newspaper AD published a graphic revealing his tactical flexibility, going back to his days as a striker with Sparta Rotterdam Under-14s.

He subsequently expanded on his variety act, listing the positions that he has filled in an interview with the club website, beginning by detailing how he also played midfield and No 10 for Sparta’s academy, then centre back in Feyenoord’s academy when moving there in 2004, as well as midfield, right wing, left wing and No 10. After moving to PSV in 2011, Wijnaldum operated as a No 6, at right and left midfield, as well as No 10.

In his one season at Newcastle, Wijnaldum featured initially as a No 10 but also as a No 6, a No 8, right and left midfield, and left wing, also confirming how much he learned tactically during his brief period under Rafa Benítez.

So far at Liverpool, he has played No 6, No 8 and, during an injury crisis, at centre back against Brighton & Hove Albion. He has served the Netherlands as a No 6, right midfield, No 8 and No 10.

Blessed with a “total football’ education, the man for all positions is the man for all reasons. Wijnaldum deserves to be celebrated as one of the most effective midfield players in the world.

It also goes at length to describe what a wonderful person he is off the pitch, how well liked he is by the staff, the other players, how humble he is and provides examples of things he does for the team and people that backed him all along the way.

So I don't think it's really a 'hot take' article but more just a celebration of the player.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I can quote some excerpts without linking the whole article:

It also goes at length to describe what a wonderful person he is off the pitch, how well liked he is by the staff, the other players, how humble he is and provides examples of things he does for the team and people that backed him all along the way.

Definitely. I've always liked him, ever since I played with him in the earlier versions of FIFA in 11 and 12. Sort of reminds me of Kante in a way, when Kante was at Leicester. People that watch the game closely know how good they were, but some have question them. Could Kante make it at a big club. Is Wijnaldum only good on a stacked team? Both are dumb questions.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Definitely. I've always liked him, ever since I played with him in the earlier versions of FIFA in 11 and 12. Sort of reminds me of Kante in a way, when Kante was at Leicester. People that watch the game closely know how good they were, but some have question them. Could Kante make it at a big club. Is Wijnaldum only good on a stacked team? Both are dumb questions.
They have some similarities for sure; they're two of the best transitional midfielders in the world (I would actually argue that they are the top 2) with some differing complementary strengths.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They have some similarities for sure; they're two of the best transitional midfielders in the world (I would actually argue that they are the top 2) with some differing complementary strengths.
Agreed, along with having great personalities. Hard to root against those 2.

Reactions: YNWA14

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

Find it tough to knock a guy for not being as effective in a seemingly ineffective system. It would help if he was actually given a run of games too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad