Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Find it tough to knock a guy for not being as effective in a seemingly ineffective system. It would help if he was actually given a run of games too.
Yes true and I would not complain if he did get another look. But at what point does the club look at Ozil; his salary, his term, his lack of consistency, his age; and decide it is best to move on from him? Obviously moving him may not be easy with is contact and age, however I think they got to look into it.

Don't get me wrong I love Ozil, he has brought tons of amazing moments to the club. The truth however, is he has not been the world class player we want him to be for a while now.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Yes true and I would not complain if he did get another look. But at what point does the club look at Ozil; his salary, his term, his lack of consistency, his age; and decide it is best to move on from him? Obviously moving him may not be easy with is contact and age, however I think they got to look into it.

Don't get me wrong I love Ozil, he has brought tons of amazing moments to the club. The truth however, is he has not been the world class player we want him to be for a while now.

Umm the club is desperate to move him on. He's just not willing to move.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

I'm a huge Ozil fan, so I'd rather see him stay and actually play. I think he's still one of our best options in midfield at the moment. But even if you think the club should try to sell him, it's going to be a lot tougher to do so if you continue to sit him while guys like Xhaka continue to start every game. Sitting him seems like a lose-lose situation to me.

Reactions: AB13

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
He's not willing to take a pay cut, no one else will pay him remotely what he's making at Arsenal, and Arsenal doesn't want to buy him out. It's not that he doesn't want to move.

He loves London. I don't know about after the robbery attempt but he wasn't willing to entertain any move away since he just married and settled down.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He's not willing to take a pay cut, no one else will pay him remotely what he's making at Arsenal, and Arsenal doesn't want to buy him out. It's not that he doesn't want to move.

I think he will end up heading to MLS or Turkey or something like that next summer and Arsenal will pay a part of his last year of the contract.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Do you feel he didn't perform well for Newcastle?

On the whole, he didn't. Particularly away from home. And for the second half of the season he couldn't wait to be away. Understandable up to a point, but of no use to Newcastle fans.

He was obviously talented, but I think it's revealing that for much of his spell on Tyneside he was reported as agitating to be played as a number 10, which isn't the role he's playing under Klopp - and which even at the time clearly didn't suit his abilities.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
On the whole, he didn't. Particularly away from home. And for the second half of the season he couldn't wait to be away. Understandable up to a point, but of no use to Newcastle fans.

He was obviously talented, but I think it's revealing that for much of his spell on Tyneside he was reported as agitating to be played as a number 10, which isn't the role he's playing under Klopp - and which even at the time clearly didn't suit his abilities.

I remember that season vividly - as it was the Payet/Bilic season.
You could see glimpses of how good Wijnaldum and Sissoko can be, but on the whole, they were nothing like the players that play for Liverpool or the Spurs (or for France in the 2016 EURO, where Sissoko was brilliant).

I still don't know how Newcastle got relegated, they had some quality players (IIRC even a young Thauvin was there), Janmaat, Gigi, Sissoko, Mitrovic, they brought in Shelvey... Dunno. Was gonna say Dwight Gayle, but he was in Palace at the time. :D

Maybe they just brought in Rafa too late.

I do remember them struggling and being disappointed when we lost the away game 2-1, we were 5th at the time, above Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea (what a f*****g season!), and we just never got going. Think it was still McLaren managing.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I still don't know how Newcastle got relegated, they had some quality players (IIRC even a young Thauvin was there), Janmaat, Gigi, Sissoko, Mitrovic, they brought in Shelvey... Dunno. Was gonna say Dwight Gayle, but he was in Palace at the time. :D

This one's easy to explain, they couldn't defend. Schteve thought they could play like it was FIFA. After he was sacked, they gave up 12 goals in 10 games. That defensive ability would keep any team from the drop, but it was too late by then. In those games, they played the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th placed teams. So it's not like they were only playing terrible teams.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I remember that season vividly - as it was the Payet/Bilic season.
You could see glimpses of how good Wijnaldum and Sissoko can be, but on the whole, they were nothing like the players that play for Liverpool or the Spurs (or for France in the 2016 EURO, where Sissoko was brilliant).

Maybe they just brought in Rafa too late.

I do remember them struggling and being disappointed when we lost the away game 2-1, we were 5th at the time, above Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea (what a f*****g season!), and we just never got going. Think it was still McLaren managing.

Newcastle United 2015/16 was a team that for 28 games out of 38 had simply everything wrong with it.

At the end of 2014/15 the dressing room was variously demoralised and apathetic. In the off-season, the club made four significant signings, all untried in the EPL. Mbemba and Mitrovic were both aged 20; in mental terms the latter was going on eight. Thauvin arrived with reluctance, fresh from being voted biggest disappointment of the previous Ligue 1 season. None of those players were ever likely to add leadership or consistency, nor did they. The two most influential players in the squad were Coloccini and Sissoko. Neither wanted to be there. Coloccini's legs were gone. Sissoko is a human snare for coaches who value physicality over skill and intelligence. Even if both players had been fully committed, these shortcomings would have left them struggling to lead by example.

The balance of the team was non-existent. Mitrovic thrives on crosses, but no one had been signed to provide any. His temperament wasn't suited to lead the line against EPL defences, so taking the sting out of games was nigh-on impossible. The central midfielders for the first half of the season were Tiote, Anita and Colback. You look in vain for playmaking guile or game-breaking skill from that trio. Wijnaldum was initially the number 10, which doesn't quite suit him. McClaren didn't trust Perez, the most intelligent attacker the club had, but Perez suffered anyway for the lack of players on his wavelength. And Perez has never been explosive enough to destroy defences on his own.

In goal, Tim Krul missed more than half the season from injury, leaving the door open for Rob Elliot, a Championship keeper. The fullbacks were Janmaat - unintelligent and only sporadically committed, and Dummett, who at that stage was Championship standard.

Into this mess was thrown Steve McClaren. The players liked him, but didn't respect him a jot. He'd been told by the Ashley regime he was expected to play an attacking style: an unfortunate demand to make of someone who can't structure possession football. And Steve McClaren has always been an example of that classic English coach who, if his team struggles to find a goal, simply urges his players forward in greater numbers, thus giving a passable impersonation of a First World War general, with comparatively futile results.

Shelvey and Townsend, when they arrived, were begged to carry the team. This suited Shelvey's ego, but not his actual level of usefulness or strength of character. All McClaren knew to do with Townsend was to let him run fast upfield in straight lines. The 2-1 win over West Ham you mention was about as good as it got between early January and early March.

Benitez made a big difference, in the same way it makes a difference trying to fly from London to Paris using an aeroplane rather than by leaping off the white cliffs of Dover flapping a pair of home-made cardboard wings. Revealingly, though, even he needed several games to detoxify the players, and only one point was taken from vital back-to-back games against sunderland and Norwich. He was blatantly appointed at least two games too late. The miracle is that the fervour of Newcastle fans encouraged him to continue to work with an owner who would have preferred to keep a far worse manager and considered appointing him an act of last resort.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
And Steve McClaren has always been an example of that classic English coach who, if his team struggles to find a goal, simply urges his players forward in greater numbers, thus giving a passable impersonation of a First World War general, with comparatively futile results.

Bahahhahaha some of my morning coffee nearly went up my nose when I read this. :D :D :D

Thank you for the post, hugely enjoyable read.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So you think that being offended by a cartoon black person is less racist than a jovial comparison of that cartoon and a person between friends, who both find it funny? The beauty in this situation being, of course, that it's largely white people jumping into the situation and calling it racist.

Bernardo Silva charge is a token gesture when so much racism is not tackled | Eni Aluko

Worth reading for her viewpoint IMO.

I would guess that most of us have sent things to friends on WhatsApp that would make us very embarrassed if they were published. Silva’s main mistake was to tweet it to the world. But though Silva might not have intended to be racist, ignorance is never an adequate excuse.
Action had to be taken. City missed the opportunity to calm the controversy when instead of getting Silva to immediately apologise for any public offence he caused, Pep Guardiola mistakenly came out and dismissed the suggestionthat the tweet was racist. This was a demonstration of one of the key problems preventing us from effectively combatting racism: so many people do not actually understand what it is.
It is not simply name-calling and physical abuse. The character on the Conguitos logo, which before a relatively recent redesign used to carry a tribal spear, is similar to the kind of images that have been used to degrade black people since slavery, which means comparing it to any black person is unacceptable. Similar cartoons of white children simply do not have the same degrading connotations. No one ever got offended by the Milkybar Kid.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Lampard announces that Jorginho is his vice-captain. Great pick IMO, it could really only have been him or Rudiger.

Timing of the announcement leads me to believe that James is starting over Azpilicueta this weekend.

Reactions: Blender and Peen

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Lampard announces that Jorginho is his vice-captain. Great pick IMO, it could really only have been him or Rudiger.

Timing of the announcement leads me to believe that James is starting over Azpilicueta this weekend.
Jorginho has been an absolute beast this season. With his leash taken off he's really controlling the midfield.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bernardo Silva charge is a token gesture when so much racism is not tackled | Eni Aluko

Worth reading for her viewpoint IMO.

I would guess that most of us have sent things to friends on WhatsApp that would make us very embarrassed if they were published. Silva’s main mistake was to tweet it to the world. But though Silva might not have intended to be racist, ignorance is never an adequate excuse.
Action had to be taken. City missed the opportunity to calm the controversy when instead of getting Silva to immediately apologise for any public offence he caused, Pep Guardiola mistakenly came out and dismissed the suggestionthat the tweet was racist. This was a demonstration of one of the key problems preventing us from effectively combatting racism: so many people do not actually understand what it is.
It is not simply name-calling and physical abuse. The character on the Conguitos logo, which before a relatively recent redesign used to carry a tribal spear, is similar to the kind of images that have been used to degrade black people since slavery, which means comparing it to any black person is unacceptable. Similar cartoons of white children simply do not have the same degrading connotations. No one ever got offended by the Milkybar Kid.
I hate racism, but what a thought police article.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Jorginho has been an absolute beast this season. With his leash taken off he's really controlling the midfield.
Once RLC comes back, I'm not sure if I'd even want to spend money on midfield or attack if the transfer ban gets lifted early. I've been really happy with Jorginho, especially with his leadership around the youth.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Once RLC comes back, I'm not sure if I'd even want to spend money on midfield or attack if the transfer ban gets lifted early. I've been really happy with Jorginho, especially with his leadership around the youth.
Jorginho has been so much better with the freedom to move around the pitch and support the attack and defense. His very passive and restrictive role last season really limited his effectiveness. With RLC back, that gives us Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, RLC, Mount, and Barkley in the midfield. Only thing I want Chelsea to buy is an understudy for Kante, because when he goes down we have no one who can even play that role.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Jorginho has been so much better with the freedom to move around the pitch and support the attack and defense. His very passive and restrictive role last season really limited his effectiveness. With RLC back, that gives us Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, RLC, Mount, and Barkley in the midfield. Only thing I want Chelsea to buy is an understudy for Kante, because when he goes down we have no one who can even play that role.
Agreed, as long as they buy someone knowing that they probably won't play much. Don't want another Drinkwater situation.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Agreed, as long as they buy someone knowing that they probably won't play much. Don't want another Drinkwater situation.
That was just a stupid buy, I didn't even understand it when we did it. At least with Barkley the hope was that we might be able to revive his promising potential, whether it works out or not.

Reactions: bleedblue1223
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad